BMW Lease return - Charged for Dealer swapping wheels

I am the same guy whose signature was forged by a dealer 3 years ago and there was a long thread about it.

Its time to return the same lease and during inspection I was told that I have wrong set of tires and will be charged $1200.

The dealer swapped the wheels before delivery from 18" to 19" because the car originally promised to me was sold to someone else and I they gave me another one. I had no clue that this will be an issue during lease return.

I have tried calling BMW, Lease return and nothing is helping. This should be an upgrade and BMW should have no issues with it but I think logic does not work.

Any suggestion here?
UPDATE - Being persistent helped. BMWFS has waived my charges for the tires. I just got a verbal commitment but nothing in written

1 Like

They swapped from Runflats to regular I assume? Thatā€™s chargeable for you.
If so, well you wouldā€™ve paid $1200 anyhow as runflats donā€™t last very long.

Or was it because the BMW Star wasnā€™t there? Or because it was low tread
Put a snapshot of the line of the inspection report.

Heā€™s saying itā€™s a totally different set of wheels, at least that is what Iā€™m reading.

2 Likes

$1200 is the price of 4 run flatsā€¦so wrong wheels shouldā€™ve been much higher.

1 Like

@rockymn send me your VIN

2 Likes

I have stock run flats on it. Yes, the inspector assumed that I have wrong set of tires based on the sticker on the car(18 " wheel). But I have 19" wheels and the tires are correct for that wheel.

Swap your wheels and tires with someone on Bimmerpost. Iā€™m sure someone will like to jump to 19s for free.

2 Likes

Ok so heā€™s charging you for Wrong sized tiresā€¦wow thatā€™s a first for me. I heard BMW are sticklers for small details but if you change the wheels you get dinged? Wowā€¦sorry to hear that.

That sounds like a great solution if I can find someone.

BMW cannot charge the OP for ā€œā€˜missing the BMW STARā€

Private messaging with OP, he has OEM Style 693 Wheels despite his sticker showing Style 688.

I think he should keep fighting with BMWFS. For all we know, the car was built with the wrong wheels, Iā€™ve seen crazier things happen.

At the end of the day, itā€™s an OEM X3 wheel.

2 Likes

He is returning the car without the original equipment listed on the window sticker. Even though it is an ā€œupgradeā€, OP is obligated to return the car with all the original equipment present, such as rims, 2-keys, or a cargo cover.

5 Likes

Sure, but what does one do if they genuinely got the car this way from a franchise dealer?

Iā€™m sure 3 years later theyā€™ll take no responsibility.

2 Likes

Send the bill to the original dealer, especially if OP has written proof that the wheels were swapped.

Otherwise, try getting BMWFS to waive the charge since it is OEM equipment and an ā€œupgradeā€. When they run it through Manheim or dealer auction, no one will care that the wheels are OEM 19s instead of 18s.

2 Likes

Read the forum thread I attached a link to. This is same unethical dealer who forged my signature and change my contract 3 years ago. I did reached out to them and they shove me off.

I have been taking to BMWFS but they are not helping. I sent then the email chain with dealer from 3 years ago. I am expecting a call from supervisor and will see.

1 Like

Are you getting another BMW? I have found the loyality lease return department very friendly after the return on removing charges. Might be worth a call after if you cannot get it resolved up front.

I already bought one and would be shipped soon.

Is it a separate department?

This whole thing truly sucks, for sure. One thing to keep in the back of your mind- if you owe the money and donā€™t pay, it will be labeled delinquent and go to collections. That can really hurt your credit score.

Hopefully youā€™ll get it resolved before that point, but be aware of this potential additional insult to injury. Protect yourself from getting hit twice from one bad situation. Its not worth taking a 100 point hit on your credit over $1k, especially if youā€™re in a credit dependant life situation.

2 Likes

You are going Off topic here. I have MSDs on it even if I donā€™t pay.