Blue Angel & Thunderbirds roadshow for COVID-19 First Responders

Coming to a major city new you. NY & NJ & PA tomorrow starting at noon. I believe there are other shows planned but not yet announced. Both teams will fly together at NY & NJ & PA tomorrow, and I believe DC / VA on Wed and then the teams will split up and Blue Angels will do other cities on East coast, and Thunderbirds will cover cities out West.

3 Likes

Fantastic use of resources. I can’t tell you how many news stories I’ve seen with people saying “if only some highly skilled pilots could squander metric tons of fuel flying their Camaros all over the country.”

Definitely more logical than subsidizing delivered lunches or dinners for a month or something that frontline workers could actually use.

:bat:

10 Likes

Saw the Thunderbirds fly over Denver last weekend. It was a flyover and not an air show so it was cool for about 30 seconds. YMMV.

I mean, I get it. They have the fuel budgeted, the pilots need the hours to stay current, and a lot of airshows have been canceled.

I think the real issue is that they are trying to frame this as “for the first responders” when maybe just needs to be “fuck yea america” in some way, ha. Definitely brings up the gross shortcomings recently for the first responders. They don’t give a fuck about some jets flying over. It’s to entertain those stuck inside.

7 Likes

What better time to burn oil/gas/jet fuel In Camaros than when oil prices are negative!!

3 Likes

I live by the airport attached to an army base, so not very impressed by military planes flying over, especially at night. :grin:

2 Likes

Man seriously? I think it was great to do it. This is not the hill to put your flag on.

3 Likes

Exactly. We need more flyovers!!! USA!! USA!!! :us:

Love your sarcasm man. But yes, we do need those more than celebrities locked in their yachts or mansions singing to us in their million dollar kitchens.

These celebs are not using tax dollars to put on their shows. And they pay their taxes.

5 Likes

Lucky for me I can put my flag on any hill I like.

I think it’s wasteful and silly.

1 Like

Yes you can. Its a free country after all.

You know they have a budget allocated to them and need to keep certain hours. I mean i could make case of a useless congress that seems to be not working and getting paid. Imagine staff and what not. Nothing wrong with some american pride and uplifting. You can watch Oprah for inspiration i would rather the blue angels. Free country after all, except where they release criminals but put people in jail for playing in the park in the same jails they trying to save criminals from.

2 Likes

If we want to get into wasteful spending take a look at last year’s national budget. Certainly some money on jet fuel (when it was probably already budgeted for) is a literal drop in a barrel…I went and saw the flyover in Philadelphia and thought it was a great display of American pride.

People definitely find inspiration in a multitude of varying forms. Music moves me to tears regularly, for example.

However, in this current moment, to me the focus should be on accomplishing and not strutting about with big guns. Combine that thought of mine with another (probably unpopular) that any of the military show off stuff is really, at its base form, bragging about our power to kill humans, to end life.

Right now I’m a hell of a lot more inspired by medical professionals (both family and strangers) doing what they do to preserve life, not brag about their ability to snuff it out.

YMMV

3 Likes

I just want some celebrity to virtually serenade me with “Imagine”

4 Likes

Well what a great country we are in. Some like you got to enjoy Oprah cooking and singing in her million dollar kitchen. And some others got to enjoy the american armed forces displaying respect for those great medical workers.

Point being each side can get what they like.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures (THE CORONAVIRUS LANDFILL THREAD)

I didn’t watch Oprah, never said anything about it. But the repetition and disdain you seem to have for her makes me wonder a little.

4 Likes

For those who enjoyed this topic, here’s a great perspective from inside the cockpit as they fly over NYC and Philly.

1 Like