Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures (THE CORONAVIRUS LANDFILL THREAD)

Sad part is that many people here can’t do the same thing :sweat_smile:

I think this goes here. Today my son called VW to extend his 2018 Tiguan lease from 24 to 30 months. He now his lease is extended through Dec 2020 (it was a 24 month lease up in June 2020). He said they are doing a program where they are offering a 20% rebate when extending a lease. Trying to get my son to explain, but I am not understanding.

Is it that they will rebate him 20% of what he paid during the extension towards leasing a new VW? Anyone know? Google turned up nothing. Thanks.

Do you think some internet strangers will know better than your own child who has first hand knowledge? :slightly_smiling_face:
Just ask him again

2 Likes

LOL, I don’t think he knows either. Maybe he just heard wrong.

VW is offering him 20% off his current monthly. I received the same offer if I extend the lease for 6 Months

Example: $200/Mo - 20% off = $160/Mo for 6 months.

2 Likes

I bet all those nurses and doctors and EMTs and cops and grocery workers and any other frontline people just get SO PUMPED watching jets fly overhead for 30 seconds (if they have that free time, of course). I bet they all go get giant American flag tattoos and chug a Bud while watching. 'Murica!

4 Likes

It is one thing to show support for first responders, healthcare workers and those on the front lines fighting Covid-19 who are helping to keep us safe.

Why not get them the PPE, test kits and other resources states/governors have been asking for since the beginning of this pandemic? I am glad I live in MA. Politicians at the local and state level have been listening to the health care professionals and taking this pandemic seriously.

Although, our stay at home order is set to be lifted on May 18th, the Governor has created a 17-member advisory board to help come up with a re-opening plan: https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/coronavirus-gov-charlie-baker-announces-covid-19-advisory-group-members.html.

It is easy to blame Congress (the House and the Senate), but the buck should stop at the top. Just saying.

1 Like

Just example man but list is long. Like I said both sides got what they wanted.

Ok who died because no ventilators were available? I tell you who, those 81% that got placed in one in NYC. Our national stockpile has been replenished and used at least 3 times since this started. PPE might be low but I know a few people doctors, and admin that work in hospitals and they have a good supply of N95 masks for personal use. I mean this is the real stuff. Now if they all seem to have enough for personal use, how come hospitals do not have any?

Blame Trump all you want as he gets blame for certain, and I believe the buck stops here doctrine. However, no media had the balls yet to call out Cuomo or NJ governor for killing people in nursing homes by placing patients there? But this bs about PPE and ventilators I am not sure the facts are there.

You sure you mean this Governor that oversees this nursing home? I guess he takes cues from NY and NJ.

BBC News: Coronavirus kills 70 veterans at Massachusetts care home
BBC News - Coronavirus kills 70 veterans at Massachusetts care home

Also look at that bang up job on 4th place. I mean take out NY, NJ, CT, and MA, we are probably at very low levels.

1 Like

They should maybe be proud of the work they do. We all proud of them. However, what about thise nursing and doctors all over the country that have no pay or jobs?

BBC News - Coronavirus: Why so many US nurses are out of work

Maybe, eh? Now I’m sure of it.

:bat:

So the top in this case would be the Governors of each state, they are the ones w/ the responsibilities to secure the needed items for their state and constituencies.

I never said anything about ventilators. However, it is better to be over prepared than under prepared.

The federal government is responsible for setting the tone, providing guidance and federal resources in helping to combate this pandemic. There were reports early on when this all started that Governors felt they were on their own when it came to supplies. About a month ago, the owner of the Patriots had to purchase 1 Million N95 masks for first responders: https://amp.wbur.org/news/2020/04/02/patriots-plane-surgical-masks-boston-ppe. I could go on.

I never said things were rosy here. It is easy to blame the Governor without knowing all the facts. Btw, some of these deaths are being investigated: Governor launches investigation into Holyoke veterans home where 15 residents have died – Boston 25 News.

Unless you have avoided watching the news, Governors and other local authorities across the country had complained they were bidding against the federal government when it came to supplies. In most cases, suppliers cancelled their orders or were told not to send any supplies to certain states.

Please see the link to the story about owner of the Pats having to purchase and donate masks to first responders. There are many stories out there about companies and private individuals having to do the same.

You praised your MA governor. You did have ventilators in initial post that is why I pointed that out. And states have not done anything as is proven in NY where cuomo stated “it is not his job to get nursing homes PPE”. And did you follow with Pat owner. From what I saw it seemed most of that PPE was faulty.

If the nurse, doctor, and grocery worker can show up and work, so can Congress. They just spend 3 trillion of our money but cant bother to get to work? I guess Nancy Antoinette thinks we all have 24000 dollar fridges stocked with gourmet ice cream.

Does anyone see any mention of ventilators in my post?

I did. He has done a good job getting resources and setting up test sites across the state. Don’t get me wrong, there is still a lot of work to be done on his part.

We can agree on that.

That is smart. Thanks for sharing.

I think most (all?) non-2020 VWs currently under lease would be covered by the expanded warranty after Dieselgate. They seem to have more 39 / 42 / 48 month leases than other brands, but most won’t have any warranty exposure unless they are insanely over miles.

Man three years ago was the best time to overpay for a Golf R lease if you could swing 6 more months at 20% off.

Curious is anyone (@RVguy?) modeled the difference for the captive with the original RV, with 6 more months (discounted) cash flow? Keeping in mind the uncertain secondhand market outlook.

1 Like

Here’s my unpopular take on this issue as a healthcare provider. I don’t want grand gestures like this. I don’t want to be called a hero. I want the country to understand that this s*** is real, over 60k people have now died from it, and it’s disproportionately affecting our vulnerable populations and frontline workers (both inside and outside of healthcare). We are doing our part as healthcare providers. We need people to do their part and help us stop the spread of this virus. Most of all, I want that money that’s going to useless gestures like this showing how great America is (sorry, it’s not right now unless great= most cases of COVID19 in the world thanks to incompetence in leadership) to instead buy me some damn N95 masks and gowns and supply us with the tools we need to safely manage our patients without putting us at unnecessary risk of dying.

12 Likes

Amen
Thank you for your service and stay safe.

What hospital do you work at? Are you in NY? I can see what I can do for you. You guys working without masks you telling me? That is messed up.