Apple car key? Talk about dated technology

1 Like

Me whenever I loose my phone.

You wear a big one around your neck like Flava Flav’s clock.

2 Likes

Another favorite of mine are people who get a rid of their garage door opener in favor of using an app on their phone. Good luck if the magically interwebs go down or your power goes out, now you can’t use that fancy battery backup built into the opener. Thankfully I think most of these people keep the keypad

1 Like

Or they just park in the driveway that night

2 Likes

After I dumped AmEX, the iPhone graduated to longest monogomous relationship (carriers though, I’ve had a few). The closest I came to losing it was a few hours in NYC, and it just partied without me until the nypd brought it home incapacitated. To me, it is as unlosable as it is ephemeral/locally backed up/instantly replaceable. Losing :iphone: does not compute. :robot::thinking:

My phone was great until about a month ago when it crapped out for no reason and was endlessly restarting…

Also I can unlock and start my volvo from my phone already…

I can see the use for this in some situations, like if you’re in a restaurant, and out of range of your car with the fob, and you want to start your car to warm/cool it before you get there. GM offers this, although recently, you have to pay for it (2018+ IIRC). It’s not worth the extra cost to me, so we didn’t get it on my wife’s XT5.

That said, I don’t get the hype behind putting your CCs on your phone, or using an app on your phone as a remote control. It’s too cumbersome to me to pull out the phone, Unlock it, launch an app, and then control the TV, when I can just reach over, push a button or 2 from the remote, and get what I want much quicker. Likewise, just pull the CC out of my wallet, and pay. Easy peasy. Then again, I also don’t think CarPlay is a “must have, can’t buy a car without it” feature either. Clunky, and buggy are my 2 gripes. That said, I’m not a big fan of podcasts, or iHeart radio either. About the only thing I use it for is maps.

I guess I’m old.

1 Like

It’s so small. Why not cut open your arm, stuff it in, and sew yourself back up. Now you can only lose your key if you lose your arm!

Edit: Pic for reference for those not familiar with the Volvo sport key. (that’s a AAA battery).

2 Likes

Probably.

That being said, use cases vary. CarPlay makes life infinitely easier. Can I live without it? Ofcourse, but when given an option, why should I. I use it mostly for texting (via Siri), youtube music etc. Much easier to control.

But ApplePay or any digital wallet is less useful but still damn useful. Chip insertion is too slow, while using your phone takes a second. In fact, I use it on my watch, which makes it even faster.

1 Like

I used to have a universal remote app on my old Samsung tablet that I used to discreetly turn off TVs in airports, restaurants and other public places.

Now I just keep a TV-B-Gone in my laptop bag.

1 Like

Biggest issue with the sport key is that you can’t replace the battery when it dies. Took about 18 months of daily use for me to kill the sport key battery on my S90. I really liked it though.

2 Likes

That’s actually not what Apple Car Key is for. It cannot do that as it needs to be within NFC range.

One main benefit that I see is allowing someone acesss to your car without giving them your key, via just iMessage.

1 Like

Now that might be fun :grin:

I agree with you 100%. This isn’t some crazy new innovation. It’s just another feature Apple is adding that can make your life easier. Some people will use it, some people won’t.

People complain about ApplePay, but’s it’s definitely easier and faster for me than a typical chip insert. Another great feature of ApplePay is on web orders, if supported. I can use ApplePay to pay in seconds instead of having to create an account for a new site and then manually entering in my payment, billing and shipping info.

3 Likes

How is that working out for you?

1 Like

As long as my phone is charged everything works wonderfully. I suppose the other key is to make sure the wifi in your home can 1. handle all the devices 2. has a consistently strong single throughout the house (recommend some kind of wifi mesh system)

i am trying out different smart home devices and debating whether I should stay within the eco-system. There are pros and cons but seamless operation is important for me. I want to eliminate clicks and tabs if I can - e.g. launching a different app for a particular device. I am early in the game but I suspect the odds of having seamless operation is a lot higher if I stay within the eco-system, especially in the future.

For those who like and use Apple Pay, keep in mind there is a cost to this convenience. Apple charges %0.15 to payment processors which is eventually passed through to consumers in the form of higher prices. So do a common good and avoid using apple/google pay just for the sake of convenience…

This thread reads more like butt hurt old people who can’t keep up with technology… Maybe I’ll be there in 25 years but not today.

1 Like