Apple car key? Talk about dated technology

Ya so? We should stop using credit cards first as they charge merchants 2.5%?

1 Like

I use voice for most of my apps so as long as it works with “hey siri” or “alexa” I see no reason to stay within one ecosystem.

Yes “ideally” we should, if we do not “need” to finance the three dollar coffee for thirty days. That said, credit cards have other benefits ( definitely not enough to be worth %2.5 imo) but tell me one benefit that apple pay offers other than “convenience”…

contactless, highly secure

1 Like

Don’t know if that is already highlighted but we can share apple key over messages. That would be super convenient if the car is somewhere and household member need to pick it up / you took the keys with you.
I have used the BMW connected a lot in the past and I loved it thoroughly. Although buggy I appreciated the technology especially after hauling boxes across a convention center and realizing the key is in my bag.
Given that, being close to the car to use NFC won’t be my go to. I would just use the standard remote app to unlock and start the car BUT to drive maybe the apple key would be helpful.

1 Like

Why do we need another benefit? Isn’t convenience enough?

Tell me one benefit of having cars, except for the convenience of not taking public transport?

1 Like

For teens, it’s a place to bump uglies. I suppose adults could use it too though.

5 Likes

I have a car that is purely for fun and enjoyment. I’ve never seen public transportation corner like it does.

1 Like

I am not saying we should not have it. What I am saying whether the convenience is worth the cost to the consumer. Let’s say you spend $2,000 / month via apple pay. $3 of it goes to Apple. Is it worth to pay 3/mo for this convenience? For some, it is worth it for others, its not.

You mustn’t have seen Speed with Keanu Reeves.

2 Likes

I miss those days where I could pull out my Samsung S4 and turn down the volume of a TV in a restaurant. Good times.

2 Likes

I still have an IR blaster on my P20 I repaired. Best idea I’ve ever had. Don’t want to watch bill bye the flipping science guy in class for the 3rd day in a row because you’re teachers too drunk, hungover, is a sub, or doesn’t care? Turn the damn thing off while they’re asleep.

#whywelovedourminivan

I like technology and I’m probably old since I over 40, I actually grew up with terrible technology and I’m probably better at figure out stuff then a lot of younger folks, but honestly a lot of the technology out there is crap and buggy and doesn’t work worth a shi*.

1 Like

True. A lot of stuff is buggy or slow or just gimmicks. Some works thu and if it works for a decent amount of people, it’s still useful.

I charge 99.9% of everything on cash back credit cards and pay the balance every month: I want my share of the interchange fees back. And I own stock in V/MC/AAPL so :man_shrugging:t2: I’ll take that cut also thanks.

And for anyone who thinks physical EMV chip cards are faster, use your stop watch next time and see (I’ve done time studies). From a locked iPhone, double tap power to bring up Pay dialogue: usually I have to wait for the reader to accept it. I’m just as impressed with Samsung/Google versions.

1 Like

To all the world travelers here, is the US only first world country that still takes your credit card away from you and run it at the cashier?

1 Like

What? I haven’t had to give any cashier my CC to pay in years.

Mostly restaurants that I am talking about.

That I have found, yes. Though some of that is because when we implemented EMV 15 years after everyone else, we chose “chip and sign” not “chip and pin” like the rest of the world. No point in taking my card to run it if I need to enter the pin to complete the charge.