Advice RE: buying a used car in hawaii

I’m wondering if anyone here can provide some insight into purchasing a used car in Hawaii. I’m attempting to help my cousin find a good used car. She would like a 4Runner and has a budget up $15K (possibly higher for the right car). She lives on Maui and said that she’s heard it might make sense to purchase the car here in CA and then ship the HI because there’s not much inventory on the islands. At first glance it would cost at least $1000 to ship from San Francisco to Kahului. Thank you in advance for your help!

There’s some discussion here: Leasing from out of state?

Shipping the car over would only be part of the issue as that’s a predefined number that goes into budget and therefore limits the car availability. While I’ve never been in this situation I would also weigh the following when picking a car in HI and more to a specific island:

1. Availability of qualified repair facilities / personnel
  2. Availability of parts for a specific brand / model including tires and other normal use items
  3. costs of maintenance in general when taking 1 and 2 above into consideration
  4. Resale value (if that’s something of a possibility) considering a location
  5. any warranty fulfillment issues (if there is any warranty on the vehicle)

Also you need to figure out who’s going to inspect the car pre-sale in CA? Are you going to have to pay someone remote? Do you trust them enough? Did you budget that in?

Those are just the things that come to mind off the top of my head.

4Runners are very expensive used. First question would be - does your friend actually need proper 4x4 off-road capability? Or is this more on-road but for traction in rain and on occasional rough pavement/dirt path type use?

Thank you for the input. It looks like their is a Toyota dealer on Maui, I assume they can handle repairs and source parts. I do not think the vehicle will have a warranty given her price range.

Yeah, I’m not sure if she needs the 4x4 but she does live in a more remote area of the island so maybe.

1 Like

I imagine mudslides and such are potentially an issue if in a more remote area. Maybe occasional tree limbs and debris down if in storm season.

If a 4x4 is needed, something like a Grand Cherokee that’s capable, but cheaper used might make sense. Obviously not as reliable as a 4Runner, but far cheaper and more plentiful (a bit more luxurious and feature rich most likely too).

it 100% makes sense to ship a 4runner here from the mainland. 4runners are like 25% more expensive here. Not sure where you saw shipping for 1k. It’s usually $1500. Beyond that I’m not really sure what the question is. Buy the car, put it on a boat, get a safety and register it here.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, have you checked this recently? Vehicle shipping in the continental US has been significantly more expensive than usual for the past year or so due to covid. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t the same for boat shipping.

1 Like

is ten minutes ago recently?

2 Likes

I think the current trend of everyone getting serious off road vehicles is pretty stupid. Almost no one is using their Bronco or wrangler to anywhere near it’s ability and you make a lot of sacrifices to get that ability.

That said, Hawaii outside Oahu is a place is I would buy a real off road car. I have been multiple times and there are so many things there that one would want to go off road to do. I really dislike wranglers in general but have started renting them when I go to the big island of Hawaii and Maui now.

1 Like

If Toyota leases cost similar to mainland and he is not planning keep the vehicle until wheels fall of, he may want consider leasing more seriously. He should do the math for “total cost to own” for each scenario. Hawai being an island with restricted access to goods and services making every line item more expensive than mainland, chances are leasing will be advantageous .

I was thinking about this too…Do we know any brokers in Hawaii? I’m guessing there is little to no negotiation on price, especially on a 4Runner.

I see what you did there. :ship:

Oh I misread. Though you made a ‘same boat for shipping’ pun… lost opportunity!

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone in Hawaii drive year old rental cars (program cars) ? Corona probably slowed that deal down for now, but it could be a great option in the future

Toyota leases are much more expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland. One company owns the exclusive distribution rights, and owns all the Toyota dealerships. They do not discount much if at all, and there are no manufacturer rebates like in the rest of the US.

It sucks then . They probably rule the repair and maintenance market for Toyota too.

Yup, SERVCO. The leases are terrible. And you can’t lease from the mainland with HI registration.

IDK why a 4x4 is required in Maui, I always get 2WD convertibles there but if it’s truly required then get an older Land Cruiser with triple locking diffs.

Makes sense to choose a car based on a local trustworthy indy’s recommendation then.

One way or another, it will be more expensive / less convenient to own a car in Hawaii it seems.