Leasing from out of state?

Am I crazy trying to lease from a West coast dealer and ship to Hawaii? It’s only 1500 to put the car on a boat and absolutely no problem but no one will get back to me. Is there something I don’t know?
The dealers here in state are awful. I’ve reached out to 3 dealers listing acceptable deals in the marketplace here, zero get back to me.

If you are looking at getting a Toyota or Lexus, you might have a problem. Servco is the exclusive Toyota/Lexus distributor in Hawaii, and I have read that you might have trouble getting your car serviced by Servco if you did not buy/lease it from one of their dealers. They apparently do not refuse to service it, but tell you they have no appointments available. I have also read that mainland Toyota/Lexus dealers will not sell/lease a car to a person with a Hawaii address.

A lot of dealers from CA will not export to HI. Part of their franchise agreements and also to protect the HI market. Last two cars I bought in CA, I had to sign an agreement not to export to HI for at least a year. YMMV

Hrmmmm I didn’t know that. How is that even legal? Oh well.

Yep, and with more dealers they’ll make you sign other no-export agreements.

Manufacturers will go donkey kong on dealers and 3rd parties that get caught. Cut your new allocations, finnancial penalties, it’s often civil ofc, but whenever money is involved people get ugly.

Cars get exported ESPEACIALLY if it’s in high demand, high value say like a G63, RSQ8, etc. that’s in limited supply (by purpose in certain markets or just plain marked up. In Taiwan for example, BEFORE sales tax, the MSRP of a BASE C Class is NTD$2,060,000 or about $72718 USD. From the USA, a base C is $41,600 plus import taxes and duties you still come out ahead by like 10-15k USD.

Another example a base BMW X6 in China is about 766900 Yuan, or about 118000 USD to START before VAT, tax, registration (very expensive) for the base model. In the USA, a AWD example starts at 67k. Add VAT, new car (or used car import tax, whole nother cat), etc. and you’ll still come out ahead. I haven’t been to china since like 2011 so I can’t tell you prices, but my point is made.

For the record, why do I know this? I’m not an exporter, I just lived in Asia, and let me tell you cars are hella expensive there.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

To answer your question, yes dealers will lease out of state. I leased a fart car BMW, my wife’s Jaguar and my e-tron in California and registered them in Nevada. However, AK and HI always get “special” treatment.

Are you in the military? I think if you were you could get around this more easily.

Any tips? I see those CA prices, also in NV and been wondering if possible?

Yes, many dealers will work with NV. Depends on the dealership. You just need to start contacting them and asking

A lot of the CA prices include CA only Incentives BTW

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.