Advice Needed: 3-Row SUV Needed Soon

Yep, and I believe they’ve changed the door seals too.

This is really helpful, everyone. Not sure what my next move is going to be yet but I might roll the dice and see what December brings.

Have you looked into the Traverse? There are currently up to 5k in incentives in NY

BTW if you do plan on a Chevy Product you might want to see if your company is a GM supplier

https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/about-the-discount/

1 Like

Where can I find this 5k in incentives? I didn’t see it on the Chevy website, unless it was updated in the last day or so. Thanks.

Have you seen this from @AutoNinjas

1 Like

$363 w inceptions due for a $48k CX9 GT is up there (avail now)

1 Like

I so wish I was closer and not SoCal.

What bank is this through? Wondering it it’s something that can be replicated here. Send me a lease sheet? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Definitely a great deal in this market! I’m just super on the fence about the CX9 - the cargo space seems lacking. But this might be a deal too good to pass up.

Anyone have any thoughts on the CX-9 more generally? Its definitely never been one of my favorites, but for the price and 24 months, I can probably be persuaded!

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

There’s a reason theyre so cheap

3 Likes

Need to add context for those not familiar. Car and Driver, KBB, US News, etc. Have rated it pretty high.

I did see some reliability issues with older units at the 100,000 mile mark. This being a lease for 24 months, you should be well under the full warranty threshold.

Would love to hear your insights. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@mllcb42 has some hate for the CX-9, he had a bad experience.

We love our CX-9, but we are a family of four and rarely haul more than our family so cargo space is not an issue. We keep the 3rd row down. If you are carrying more than 4 people on a regular basis with cargo, the CX-9 is a tight fit.

On the bright side, it drives incredibly, it is very comfortable, the interior is very nice, the cabin is suprisingly quiet, and it’s a good looking vehicle.

6 Likes

My wife drove a 2017 cx9 gt for a couple years. My wife doesn’t normally have strong opinions about vehicles. She was ecstatic when we found that there was equity in the lease so we could get rid of it. Its the only vehicle i have ever seen her count down the days until she could replace it.

It was a heaping pile of shit.

Its a mediocre two row suv that someone obstructed the cargo area with a useless divider. The packaging of the vehicle is pathetically bad. The design of the rear end makes the trunk useless with the 3rd row up and the design of the rear gate limits access to an already pointless storage area. The overall design is so compromised for the packing that it fails at the most basic of requirements. Someone could do a case study on how they managedcto make the interior so small compared to the overall size.

The infotainment system was the worst in the industry by a good decade. It often took 2-3 minutes to boot up, even after it had been reflashed (which reduced that time to 2-3 minutes). I think there was a back up camera on it, but youd never know since it took so long to start, it would never come up fast enough for backing out of the driveway. To be fair, they have updated the infotainment since 2017, but by all accounts, its still lagging the industry.

Overall quality was abysmal. There were body panels cracking around lights. The awd system sounds like its going to fall out every time you rapidly lift off the throttle. All the piano black in the interior scratched if you looked at it wrong.

There were certain parts of my experience that could be chalked up to getting a bad unit that was built on a Friday afternoon, however, many of the offenses were design deficiencies.

The cx9 got replaced my a honda passport and a hyundai palisade in my household… and both were orders of magnitude better vehicles.

3 Likes

Damn… and I thought QX60 had an outdated system…

It definitely was a race to the bottom for those two

This is a bad take. Sounds like you got dealt a lemon. Nearly every magazine has praised it for its fit and finish relative to competitors, and its overall engaging driving experience. It may be a little smaller in cargo space than competitors though. Infotainment may be a little behind but the new one is perfectly serviceable and comes with a ton of standard safety features that some of it’s competitors lack.

I would no doubt pick a Telluride or Palisade over a CX-9 but I’m not going to pay twice the price for it. Leases on both those at MSRP are at a minimum for comparative trim $7xx payments. It’s by no means the best it’s in class but it’s for sure in the top half and it’s a pretty unbeatable value.

The passport and pilot for the record are no more advanced from a tech perspective than the current CX-9 generation either.

I’ve personally driven, delivered and bought lots of them new and as lease returns and have always been pleasantly surprised.

There were aspects of my experience that could be explained away as a lemon, but most of the deal breakers for me were the design issues that only became obvious after living with it for a while. When we first got it, we shared all the same positive thoughts that everyone else has.

The infotainment problems were not unique to us. It was a very, very common complaint among all the user groups.

I agree that the passport/pilot was not more advanced tech wise (one of its big short comings in the current market), but it consistently worked when you turned it on, etc.

If youre looking for an oversized two row suv with mediocre storage at a cheap price and a big honeymoon phase, the cx9 fits the bill perfectly. In the current market, the price is absolutely stellar and you’ll definitely pay a ton more to lease the competition.

1 Like

Have you tried the new infotainment? Its worked perfectly fine every time I’ve used it and has been pretty snappy/quick.

Would also argue the 24 month term is a short term commitment to the car as well.

Other than briefly in a loaner, no. I have read lots of reviews when it was rolled out that basically said “mazda is no longer 10 years behind the industry… now theyre only 5”.

The infotainment was only one of many issues though. The main one is the amazing ability to be an anti-Tardis.

I certainly dont disagree that for a short term, low cost lease, it’s a great deal in the current market.

Everything here has been really helpful. I’m just more curious about this complaint - I can deal with all the other negatives on a 24mo term but cargo is an important piece of me. Have a QX60 now and was hoping for more space in my next vehicle as we take lots of road trips. Do you have any reference to be able to compare the CX9 to the QX60 (with the third row folded down) in terms of cargo space. Dimensions I see online show the CX9 to have slightly less space but it’s like 2cuft not sure that’s a big deal.