Advice Needed: 3-Row SUV Needed Soon

Thats helpful. But, am I correct in assuming you sold it during the height of the pandemic/chip shortage when used vehicles were selling for crazy numbers because supply was so depressed?

In the northeast, looks like there’s brokers/dealers with deals on

2022 outgoing Pilot
2023 Pathfinder
2022 pre-refresh Ascent (maybe 2023 too with smaller discount?)
2022 Highlander (same as above for 2023)
Grand Cherokee L but you have to order and wait

1 Like

Any of these on the lot could be had for 10% off with tread lightly from Mitch at Ourisman Clarksville MD

https://www.ourismanchryslerdodgejeep.net/searchnew.aspx?Location=Clarksville%2C%20MD

Sold Sept 2022. Someone with Mannheim/MMR index data can correct me but we were 10%+ off peak by then.

There was no particular craziness going on, relative to prior periods. I solicited offers and got offers up to $47k+ in January which was crazy IMO on a FWD vehicle in the northeast and then got unsolicited calls/emails in April or May which I declined to engage with because I had no replacement lined up.

IIRC one of the May emails said they’d honor their January offer of 47… that would have made a much better TCO story if I wanted to cherry-pick or win internet points but selling then didn’t suit my life IRL.

But they are overpriced even after 10% off.

I dont think the telluride is anything special and you should not bank on resale being as strong the next 2 years as it has been the last 2 years.

I would rather be selling a used Toyota than a Kia

This topic happens so often, I think it needs its own subforum, or whatever it is called. Ask_the_Hackrs/3_row_SUV_no_I_dont_want_minivan_you_sexist_pigs

8 Likes

Telluride at sticker is more value than 10% off a lot of other SUVS for sure.

2 Likes

Its still a great story. But, my risk aversion personality makes me think you were lucky and that the same might not be able to be replicated in a couple years. That said, doesnt make the purchasing a Telluride vs. leasing something else a bad idea.

Ah well. Guess I’m back at square one anyway!

Meh. Toyotas are great value below $40K but NVH is bad as is infotainment/interior quality.

If you want cheap (or “rugged”) cars that have great drivetrains… Toyota is it. Toyotas are for folks who hate driving and want an appliance that gets them from A to B.

After owning two RAV4 Primes… I don’t want another Toyota. I’ll buy the Mazda version with the same drivetrain though.

1 Like

You can look at the TCO of other vehicles’ leases and see how much a Telluride would have to depreciate to equal it.

honestly Rav4 NVH is terrible compared to their other SUVs. My highlander feels better to me than the Palisade we test drove.

I have Kia Sorento hybrid and phev at msrp. Great deals on those. Gas also msrp.

Highlander hybrid and gas msrp also.

Telluride starts at 2500 over msrp

Text if interested

Jim
215-359-6836

1 Like

And the Palisade is pretty noisy compared to the Telluride. Car and Driver measured the two and the Palisade was 7 dB levels louder… that’s like comparing an EV to an ICE car. EVs are usually 63-67 dB and ICE cars are usually 70-73 dB or higher.

I test drove a Highlander… couldn’t stand the buzzy engine. Same with the Sorrento with the turbo 2.5L. What a horrible engine. Did the compact SUV test drive tour (CX-5, Outback, Tucson, RAV4 XLE gasser, Sportage) before buying an EV initially.

I wasn’t here back then but based on all the end of lease 2019 QX60 posts in the last year… I heard that was very popular.

Not sure what kind of deals they have but the Mitsu Outlander is on the cheaper end… and the PHEV version should be out soon (if not already out).

That’s fair and I either mis typed or didn’t explain good enough. Their were some good QX 60 deals…the conversation typically needs to be broken down by needs. As in do you need the 3rd row for the 5 year old and his friend once a week, or 5 days a week for 6 full size adults and two kids & a dog.

When I mentioned they weren’t in the “great lease deal” I automatically jumped to the never ending: Anyone know of a good lease deal on a $90,000 Yukon XL Denali, we’re about to have our first kid, type posts.

I should have added more clarification in my initial post.

1 Like

Some of the palisades are. There were weird issues with the window seals on some palisades not fully sealing, resulting in an excessive amount wind noise. Id bet that the car and driver tests were on one of those.

1 Like

The V6 one or the Hybrid on the Toyota? I am definitely biased towards Toyota over Hyundai/Kia. I would rather have a Corolla GR or Civic Type R over a Veloster/Elantra N

I heard the 2023s are much better with minimal wind noise (or none at all).

Right now, this is what we are eying, but I’m going to continue to wait a little bit. Perhaps by mid to end of December we will see better buying opportunities.

I believe on higher trim palisades they double paned the front and back windows for model year 2023.