Advice for dealing with speeding tickets?

I would love to see you apply that logic to a place like Germany where you get tickets for doing 2 km/h over the limit.

I assure you, I got over that mentality real quick after 18 speeding tickets. Most doing the equivalent of 5 mph over.

2 Likes

I could apply that logic and believe it’s a revenue scheme and still drive under the speed limit accepting the reality of the enforcement. I’ve had one ticket in the past 20 years so it’s not like I’m a habitual speeder, I’m just not a fan of how traffic enforcement is an arbitrary regressive tax (in most places).

1 Like

Physics is physics. I don’t think speeding regulations are schemes just to make money (though, that’s how they’re enforced) I think some roads really are designed and built to sustain certain speed ranges safely.

Also, laws are laws. Just because you speed and haven’t gotten caught doesn’t mean the laws are unnecessary.

If that were true, wouldn’t one expect the speed limits to be increased as vehicles become safer and more capable of performing at higher speeds?

1 Like

Not if the speeds limits are associated with what the roads themselves can handle and not just the grip of the cars and their safety features.

Am I going crazy here? Am I the only one that considers metal objects weighing 3600 -5200 lbs traveling at 65 or 75 mph as dangerous?

I’m not saying never go to 75 mph, just saying I respect and consider what cars actually are.

1 Like

Isn’t that the crux of the issue though? It really comes down to kinetic energy in a vehicle. If brakes/grips have improved enough to make up for the extra speed in reducing stopping distance and vehicles are better at protecting occupants from kinetic energy in an accident, then if there was a direct correlation between speed limits and the physics limitations in a vehicle, it’s only logical that speed limits would increase.

Many speed limits used to be higher and were lowered during the gas crisis in the 70s/80s. Federal funding dictated many of the current speed limits, not vehicle safety.

I have no issue with properly set speed limits, but many of them are arbitrarily set, not based on science of road design.

3 Likes

Some people are just set in their ways, I could blow this thread up with the amount of info I have on how state police traffic enforcement works, small town police departments salaries and how they work in traffic enforcement. It’s just some people are in denial about how safe and capable vehicles are nowadays.

It’s not completely for revenue but it’s a billion dollar industry for the government.

I have personally only gotten one ticket and it was dropped the same day.

1 Like

This is always my go to since there is no higher automotive authority than Clarkson:

4 Likes

At this moment, Amazon has the Uniden R7 priced at $411.80.

Well this is now useless for me… Discussing with state police and local police officers in PA, they do not have the same tools available as other states do.

In PA local police actually don’t use radar or laser guns per sae. The tools they have at their disposal are actual speed traps that use a form of laser measured distance speed measurements, or mechanical car based measurements like VASCAR, tools based off the speed of an officers vehicle keeping pace, or other distance timing tools (accurate only in certain occasions; recalibrated under set intervals by the manufacturer).

The only people that can use speed guns are state police and are regulated, so turns out this is just plain useless for me :8

:chocolate_bar:

Has a court ordered you to not leave the state? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes sir, peep the anklet @trism.

Incredibly sarcastic. I have not committed a crime, or at least gotten caught yet :wink:.

:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

Here’s a video from the guy who started Ticket Clinic
Basically you have to find one of the 100 loopholes to get out of the ticket.

Now $374.94 (Amazon).

4 Likes

You have to be lucky all the time. They just need to get lucky once.

1 Like

Now gone (at least for a bit) :rofl:

I finally found this file. Getting out of a ticket in CA. Saved me a couple tix in the past.
Link:

11th edition Fight Your Ticket in California

Note- I am not the author and I do not know or have any affiliations with the author. The document is many years old, but offers what I believe to be good advice for those contemplating fighting a speeding ticket. Take this advice at your own risk.

3 Likes

Just got a CamelCamelCamel alert on the Uniden R7, in case anyone’s had an eye on one.

1 Like

btw

Is there still a CHP?

Are there no more speed traps in Southern California?

I’ve been driving on the freeways at astonishing speeds, and I’m getting more and more emboldened.

Observations, not complaints.

2 Likes

Would spending $400 actually save $400 worth of tickets?
Maybe in California where the tickets are costly, it might make sense.

2 Likes