Advice for dealing with speeding tickets?

First off, absolutely agree with this. Everyone has their own personal setups and they’re all quite good in their own regard at this point.

I got this email last week, for example, which is labeled as an “Owner’s Offer” but in reality went to their full mailing list. Holiday sales were a bit lower than this and had the M1 dashcam bundle included, iirc. M1 has good recording quality; doesn’t have full telematic data though, which is a bit of a bummer.

(Edit: This list VIP Program)

And I second the request to @02cic if you can find that document. Sounds useful!

2 Likes

I’m in no hurry, so I’m in for a MAX 360C when CamelCamelCamel tells me that Amazon is selling these for $550 again.

Price matched at BestBuy.com and paid with my Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa, that would be (pre-tax):

$550.00 - 360C
(28.88) - 5.25% credit card cash back
(13.75) - 2.5% Best Buy rewards
$507.37

4 Likes

Sorry is that $20/mth but no other hourly costs or were there discounted hourly rates?

MetLife or Hyatt Legal Plan/insurance. Depends on what you sign up for, what is provided by the employer (if any), and the case being dealt with (complexity). You’ll find more details on their websites

1 Like

Whatever happened to not breaking the law and endangering people’s lives?

2 Likes

As mentioned it depends on the complexity of the case, but a basic speeding ticket, with a single court appearance by a lawyer, has always been 100% covered for me. My employer recently switched from MetLife/Hyatt to ARAG, but when I was self-employed, I was able to get a policy without the benefit of an employer sponsor.

2 Likes

Interesting to see Hyatt/MetLife group legal mentioned. We get this from work gratis and have found it to be pretty worthless. Maybe we’ve been using it wrong?

Where did you get a policy from? Only one I have been able to find is legal shield and they are very non-committal for out of state shenanigans. NVM, customer support answered my questions.

Gotta find an attorney that accepts it and doesn’t mess around. Used them twice last year with good effect… it’s like reaching out to dealers for deals - who can give me the best representation at the lowest cost lol

You already mentioned legalshield.

The other trick is you can get a Metlaw/Hyatt plan via a 3rd party, for example via IXS Health.

At this point, I have a relationship with a supported attorney, but I would check out the supported attorney list, in advance, and reach out to confirm your preferred attorney will accept the plan for traffic violation defense. In my experience, most will cover a single appearance.

The other advise, you must be covered by the legal plan when the violation occurred. You can’t get a speeding ticket and then to go sign-up for the legal plan, they will reject the claim.

2 Likes

Think I am going to sign up with legal shield just for help with any out of state tickets. They should be able to help with my ticket for allegedly going 9mph over the speed limit. Plus I can have them write angry letters whenever I want.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of evidence that many tickets are given primarily for government revenue than public safety.

From my experience most police would rather give someone a ticket for 15 over on a straight highway with no other traffic than pull someone over for cutting in and out of traffic.

It’s of course a major revenue generator.

There are very few studies on the topic, but the gold standard study showed increased enforcement led to fewer accidents (George Mason/Towson U study of Boston-area).

3 Likes

I wonder if this is truly because of an increase of enforcement or just the presence of officers deters people from situations that could cause accidents.

Officers are given quotas, just like a salesman. End of the month, if they are behind, you better believe they will enforce the “law” differently. It’s a rigged system from the start.

Makes sense there’s an effect, but it spraying radar a better safety enforcement mechanism than focusing on aggressive driving, tailgating, not yielding for pedestrians, phone usage, etc?

When I see speed traps, it’s usually in places where the speed limit is unnaturally low which leads to more motorists well above the limit. Their actions show revenue/quota motivation over public safety.

1 Like

While I think you’re correct, one could argue that in those areas, an unnaturally low speed limit was chosen for safety reasons and the high number of motorists failing to adhere to those limits is why a speed trap is placed there.

I actually think it’s illegal to give officers citation quotas in most states.

2 Likes

Every department is different. At this point most departments don’t use real quotas since they are politically toxic. But different incentives, motivation and focuses certainly play a big role in who gets tickets.

This is a complex issue but most state police/state highway patrol are not giving speeding tickets for revenue. Now speed cameras, those are almost always revenue first safety second. Can’t make any generalizationa about local police

3 Likes

Would be interesting if an actual LEO responded here to confirm the above.

I have a heavy foot at times, but generally keep it at the speed limit or 5-10mph above. Speeding tickets are expensive and insurance rates can go up quickly.