A Good EV Plugin Hybrid Sedan to lease?

There are plenty in NE region on this forum that leased evs/phevs at great prices. In order to get one you need to actually try and wait for the right time to do it. Don’t wanna do the work? Get a broker and relax.

First thing I saw was Hardin Honda :grin: the ones who sold me the lemon Accord hybrid and ignored calls for 2 weeks, great price though, ha.

1 Like

Not like there isn’t a Honda dealer every few miles… :sunny:

1 Like

This 100%. From at least casually following trends on EV and PHEV over the past few years, it seems that the summer isn’t generally a great time to lease them, particularly in the Northeast. There seem to be more incentives available during the fall and winter months, possibly because most of them are a tough sell because of the perception that you “need” an AWD SUV to survive the winter, and also the fact that the range on them drops like a rock when it gets cold out. My Volt is getting over 50 miles when fully charged right now, and sometimes about 35 or so during the winter.

@ElectricEliminator Yeah been following that waiting game. Any resources/sources I should follow for the waiting game?

In terms of cost, is it cheaper to lease an PHEV over a gasoline or gasoline wins?

Really you just need to check the incentive pages on Autobytel and Edmunds, as well as the Edmunds forums to get the current residual and money factor. You can also use Cargurus to search for specific cars and keep track of price trends. Newspaper and internet ads CAN be a good source as long as you take them for what they are. If you see a particular vehicle being advertised at a low price, even if the ad is BS with hidden costs it could be worth investigating how the price is achieved. As for the EV vs Gas debate, the answer really depends on your electricity rates and how much driving you do. If you are driving less than the plug in range between stops and have cheap electricity or access to free or cheap chargers, then it can be good. If not, then fuel efficient gas car might be the way to go, unless you are getting a great deal.

Got it, I’m following those pages now and noticed some deals on the gas cars but nothing for EV in my area. Something I’m confused is does the dealership give incentives/discounts as well or just the manufacturer?

Electricity rates, is there some way to actually know about this? I’ve seen chargers but never seen any prices for it.

If you’re not in a rush, stalk the Private Lease Transfer page. It seems i3s are popping up almost daily. Many members grabbed them and my guess they are getting bored of them.

2 Likes

thats a nice idea. Is swapalease good place as well?

Probably not, since you’ll have more people to compete with for a good deal.

As ElectricEliminator stated, that is a very complex answer. In CA, the math is easily in the favor of evs due to the high cost of gas and relatively cheap ev electricity plans. I’m on PV and have free work charging so even if you give me a 200 mpg gas car i still would not take it over an ev. The other consideration is car cost. My wife Clarity phev has a monthly net after rebates of just $228…my eGolf is at $105…even getting a stripped up Civic is difficult for that kind of money. If i remember correctly, ElectricEliminator has an even more outrageous deal on his Clarity. My point is, with the right deal, these cars can be cheaper than the gas variants even before you consider gas savings.

1 Like

Yes, from what I’ve found so far the only cars you can get for that range is the Kia. Just to confirm, the rebates unless its worked into the deal as an incentive by the manufacturer, that means we are not getting it right?

In your case, yes. They are applied at time of sale…for most other states are post sale with the exception of the fed credit, that one goes to leasor. Also check to see if you have local rebates. In CA many municipalities have their own post sale rebates just like most utility companies do. Get quotes and post here.

Something that I’ve been confused is for example the Clarity, Fed Tax is $7500 and NY State has a rebate of $2000. The local dealer applied the local rebate to the deal, but wasn’t sure of the Fed Tax credit. Do you know what happens to the Federal tax credit if I buy in NY?

If you BUY you get it at tax time if you have enough tax liability accumulated during the year. If you LEASE, the manufacturer MAY choose to pass it to you entirely, in part or entirely and then some…that’s why we say you need to follow offerings on a month to month basis. The fed credit is not by state…it’s the same for all states…but it may vary on leases because some manufacturers are more greedy than others. I have seen deals where the entire credit was eaten by them and nothing passed to the customer…in such cases, if one really wants the car, you simply buy it and collect the credit yourself.

Before leasing or buying anything, you should get your finances in order. Nothing cheap is going to happen until you figure out what your score is, or if you have a good co-signer.

I see. So this explains why Honda is giving $6000 incentive in CA while nothing on other states. I’ve seen Ford in my area give similar incentives. Now makes sense, thanks

How does that explain the difference in rebates between NY and CA when the federal rebate is not by state and the same for all states?

From what I understood, Federal rebate is there where you buy but in the case of NY, no mention of what happens to it. HFS is not giving any incentive and I posted on several forums but no one has mentioned about anything in NY state. So unless HFS is giving the rebate post-lease, you are not getting the federal tax rebate when leasing a Clarity.

Just stop talking about the federal rebate as it never applies to any lease and only worry about HFS’s rebates in your region.