A Good EV Plugin Hybrid Sedan to lease?

What would be a good PHEV to lease? Fairly high residual and great incentives wise?

Also taking into account that tax credits run out after a certain amount of vehicles sold, it may well be in a couple of years the resale value will be higher.

1 Like

That’s great if you’re buying it. Won’t make much of a difference on current models until they refresh and only if tax rebates are reduced or removed around the same time.

A good phev to lease is any that a dealer or manufacturer would throw $ at it to move. Best thing you can do is take your time and follow the market. Ask for quotes on all possible candidates…you may not like one of them that much but for the right price you may get what you actually want in a commuter. A few months ago the Clarity had deals that made me jealous for the first time in my life that I don’t live in a cold climate in NE. Deals come and go so check each begin of the month to see what the new programs are. You can also check this web and get an idea of what standard offers are as a starting point.

I also have an eye on BMW 530e. However, I also have philosophy that I want to lease a car that I also want to own eventually. BMW 530e is in the my category of lease only, not own.

If I see a good deal on 530e, I’ll take it anytime but I will be very careful putting a lot of miles on it. So, it beats the purpose of getting a PHEV.

I’m not sure if I’m making sense…:grinning:

Miles are cheap, maintenance isn’t.

I understand it now. But how do you keep track of the market and follow it? Do you have to call them on a weekly basis to get an idea if they have any deals? I checked the website as well, since most of them are for places out of my state, any tips on how to use them for in state?

Hyundai Kona Electric has a range of 258 miles. But it’s not sold in every state.

I’m confused on the rebates, NY state as EV rebate and federal tax credit as well. https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Drive-Clean-Rebate/How-it-Works
So how does it work? Does the dealer apply these as incentives to the deal?

Check the website i posted…not that many NY deals because NY is really not that deal friendly. When they do come you will see them. Also check Edmunds Forum for the models you are interested in to see what credits and rebates popup. Manufacturers most times change their leasing programs at the beginning of the month.

that sucks though. But most of the neighboring states aren’t any better either. Does it change (deals) with time for NY?

Best advice I can give you is to shop multiple dealers once you narrow down the car you want. Make sure you ask for the selling price of the car before any rebates and incentives are applied. You are just looking for dealer discount. In NY the consensus has been that dealers tend to be stingy with their discount because of the additional NYS rebate. So make sure that the price you are being quoted is excluding ALL rebates and incentives. From there you can research how much money is available on the car you want from NYS and the manufacturer.

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Drive-Clean-Rebate/How-it-Works

This page will show you eligible vehicles and how much money they qualify from NYS. The amount of the rebate is attached to the electric range and/or MSRP of the car. Check the Edmunds forums for the current residual, money factor and available incentives from the manufacturer. Also check the incentives pages on Edmunds or Autobytel for additional incentives such as Conquest or loyalty. But the most important thing is to get the best possible price for the car before any of those rebates. Search the forums for the car you want and see what kind of discounts others are getting for reference.

Thank you! Yes, I’m doing the shopping around for it and narrowed down couple of cars but something that is confusing me is how the rebates work in case of a lease.

Assume its the Honda Clarity, there is Federal and State tax rebates for it close to $9500. In CA and OR HFS has manufacture deals which they pass as discounts $6000. But how does it work when leasing in NY state?

I think I saw you on the Edmunds forums. Per the guys over there it doesn’t sound like Honda is passing on anything for leases at the moment on the Clarity, so you are probably better off looking elsewhere.

For leases, you won’t get the federal rebate. They may pass it on as an incentive or higher RV, which you can find out on Edmunds.

@ElectricEliminator Yes that was me and doesn’t seem anything is going on for it in NY.

@Jon I checked on Edmunds and there doesn’t seem to be much information about it.

What is it? Edmund forums will provide you with the RV, MF and incentives.

The guy said there is no incentives to lease in NY state only in CA/OR.

They gave you all the info you need. Terrible RV with no incentives means don’t even bother attempting to lease it.

4 Likes

Yeah gave up on it. Feels like EVs are that good to lease in NY.