$2200+ excessive wear lease return bill from GM Financial

Looking to see if anyone has had a similar situation. As the title says, I received a bill from GM Financial that showed I had $2246.24 in excessive wear damage for a 2017 camaro I returned. This I found to be absolutely ridiculous since I returned the camaro in great condition without any sort of major structural damage that might justify a bill this high, nor did I have any excess miles. There were a few scuffs on the rims, but nothing that would have been large enough to completely discard them. So looking into the inspection report from Autovin, it shows both wheels and rims are all missing from the car. Then it goes on to show that I would be charged for all the wheels missing. At this point I’m completely confused. I did have the inspection done at a Chevy dealership and was told everything was good. No bill or anything, so I said goodbye to my car and left. 2 months later I’m receiving multiple calls from GM financial about an outstanding payment. I did take pictures the day I returned the vehicle with all wheels attached. But I’m not even sure who to follow up with. Should I call the dealership I returned the vehicle to or should I call Autovin directly?

That’s super suspicious. I would send them all the photos/videos you have of the car from turn in. Reach out to the person you spoke to at the dealership and ask them to see if they have cam footage from that long aog.

2 Likes

@nealryan712 That’s crazy that the wheels/rims were completely missing. When did you return the car, on 9/30? Inspection was done on 10/1, so it happened fast.

Also, since you turned it into the dealership, did you get anything in writing by any chance?

So the dealership took the tires and rims off the car and put it on blocks and now GM Financial wants you to pay for them.

Sometimes I wonder if these people have any common sense. They’re saying those items are missing…and nobody thought to call you and ask you how you got the car to the dealership to turn it in? Do they think you just carrier the Camaro on your back to the dealership? Come on…any person with half an ounce of brain can see something fishy is going on here.

6 Likes

I did receive 2 forms. One confirming the odometer reading and the other indicating I owed nothing on the estimated remaining lease obligation. I returned the car on 9/28 and had my inspection the same day at the dealership. I tried to have a scheduled inspection at home as it’s usually done. However, this was during the height of covid and everytime I tried to set that up, I would instead be told that I would have to bring the car to a dealership for an inspection

1 Like

exactly what I thought. Luckily I did take pictures of the car the day I returned the car in case they tried to lie about anything. When I contacted GM financial today they explained that a camaro without wheels is what was sent to them and that they are not directly involved with what pictures are taken. So they recommended I get in contact with the dealership to inquire more about this. Something I hope to get to the bottom of tomorrow

I’d try and speak to someone at GM Financial and get them to put a stop on that payment request before it gets escalated and risks your credit. Whether that requires a letter from a lawyer or the dealership stepping in I don’t know.

I’d bet the dealership will not take responsibility, I don’t know if they have a legal duty of care/responsibility. Again, a lawyer might be the best course of action. They might tell you that you’re responsible and to claim off your insurance.

Either way, good luck with a horrible situation.

1 Like

I bet there will be a few of those in our area… a bunch of explorer lease returns are sitting on blocks at a Shared off lot.

5 Likes

I find it comical and disturbing at the same time that GM would think someone returned a lease with no wheels and tires. Don’t you think the dealer would have contacted GM immediately if that were the case?!?

There are scammers of all types in this world.

6 Likes

Worst case you have an insurance claim for stolen tires/rims. I would be curious to know where responsibility stops at the point of turn in. Especially if you have pictures of the car at turn in. I hoping for the best for you. I would also think that the dealership would have cameras in the holding lot.

Have a lawyer send a letter to the dealership asking for an explanation. I bet the tires and wheels will be on the car the day after they receive the letter.

This is the most bizarre and moronic ploy for more cash I have ever heard of. The wheels and rims missing??

Even if nothing else but to resolve this quicker than doing it alone, I agree with the advisement of getting a lawyer to send some paperwork.

…I know how I would be on the phone with GM if somebody wanted to play fuck fuck games like this.

Let us know what the developments are please.

1 Like

I suppose that this is probably why GM does this kind of stuff with expensive vehicles and high end wheels:

Apparently the steel wheels have to be sent back to GM once the vehicle is prepped too, or the dealership gets charged for them.

My guess is the rims were stolen from the dealership lot. Instead of filing an insurance claim and dealing with the paperwork and possible premium increase this is how they decided to “handle it”

6 Likes

Here’s what I would like to know… If your lease matured on 9/30, you grounded it on 9/28 and the inspection was done on 10/1, why was the vehicle serviced at the dealership on 10/21?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=dri_0&vin=1G1FH1R77H0163385

4 Likes

My god that Escalade is hideous. And not just because of the steelies

1 Like

You are the Sherlock Holmes of LH! This is absurd that it ended up at a second dealership to be serviced!

1 Like

It appears to be the same dealership, or the same family of dealerships. Vehicle does not appear to be listed for sale there though.

1 Like

Honestly I’d consider contacting the Texas Attorney General and your Congressman/woman with this one. This is arguably the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen. Call and speak to the GM of the dealer you returned it to. Cause absolute hell for them

8 Likes