2023 Toyota Sequoia

I haven’t looked recently - I had an 80k capstone I flipped for 90 a few months ago. I believe auction prices were low to mid 90s so I may have been off in my 7-9 range.

You’re correct. Capstones are very strong right now. Cheapest one over the past month was a red one at $91,500. Most are clearing 2-5k more than that. With some going for stupid money which are clearly exports.

Capstones are between 10-20 over at auction depending on color. Black is pulling big $$

2 Likes

Big $$ if going to the middle east - i agree

4 Likes

@voxel how did it go?

Auction prices for TRD Pro are in 100-110k range but what can you actually sell a used one for? Is 100k attainable for a low milage TRD Pro?

What is the highest markup you would pay for a new one?

Auction values have come down a bit this week, generally high 90s now. Personally I wouldn’t pay more than a few k over, but it depends on 1) your state and associated taxes/fees and 2) your minimum expected return.

1 Like

Have an option to purchase a capstone at MSRP to flip after a few weeks. Anyone have any experience leasing these then selling to a third party? I know Ally is a no go for that but curious if most people are financing/cash or doing a lease transaction

Yes - very easy. Lease through TFS. Sell to any dealership. Simple. Should be an easy flip.

It does also depend on what state you’re in for tax purposes on the lease.

Makes sense. I was thinking 3-5k markup is acceptable. MSRP deals aren’t attainable unless you were waiting in line for a year.

As others have said, use TFS, but make sure it’s TFS and not “southeast Toyota financial”.

2 Likes

Who tf is actually buying these to own?

Even for a diehard Toyota fan, a Grand Highlander makes more sense as a 3-row

Apparently all the people the flippers are selling to. Rarely do these hit the lot unsold even at 5k+ markups. Msrp deals are well over a year out…

2 Likes

It was a “bad” good deal considering how rushed it all was - car appearing out of nowhere and other orders being 45+ days away.

1. Trade in was on the low side because they b*tched out losing $8K on my Mach-E trade in back in 2021 (for the RAV4 Prime I bought at MSRP). They actually paid me $2K over MSRP for the MME so I was very positive on that trade. The Mach-E sat on the lot for 4+ months with no interest and they had to unload it at auction. Said the same thing happened with an ID.4 but Teslas seem to sell quicker because I guess brand recognition?

2. I had to finance ugh. It was very late and no banks were open. They would not accept a personal check if not financing.

3. Markup was the $2K dealer add on and junk like Southeast Toyota’s TOYOGUARD that’s forced on every car plus garbage FL dealer fee.

Every other dealer that finally came back to me in FL were asking $15K markup with one as low as $9K but with a 6 month wait.

Do I like the car? Undecided. The drivetrain is beastly and the interior + audio is actually nicer than I remembered. Still not luxury level and certain not worth $80K. The tow mirrors and poor rear cargo space tell me it’s not a keeper though. I think the only person who would keep this over other 3-row SUVs is if you needed to tow 9000 lbs.

1 Like

So what’s your cap cost with the financing and dealer add ons?

1 Like

$88K. Probably $4K higher than I’d like.

Has tow mirrors, pano roof, center console safe, and dashcam - so pretty much fully loaded. I would not recommend the tow mirrors but the pano roof is amazing.

I don’t understand why the TRD Pro and Capstone have such high markup. I’ve been offered a Limited 4WD with low/no markup. Are these being exported overseas to rich buyers via brokers?

88 isn’t terrible. Still plenty of room on the flip.

@Bostoncarconcierge loves the tow mirrors. I guess when you’re 5 feet tall, you need those big mirrors to see.

1 Like

Going to look at a silver Capstone at MSRP. Worth it I assume?

Yes, still worth it.

1 Like

Pretty much any seq at msrp but the 4x2 will have meat on the bone for a flip. If leasing through a bank that allows you to sell early and you don’t have to pay taxes upfront.

1 Like