2022 MDX Lease Number - Thoughts?

Hello Leashackrs, want to get your thoughts on what I should do. My current lease is 2020 MDX with $410 monthly payment (Details can be found HERE) . Was looking at 2022 while taking my car for service the other day, and here are the numbers I got.
2022 MDX AWD Base, MSRP $51745. My trade in equity is $6700 on my current lease, and after rolling that equity in the new lease, it came out with $450 monthly with first month due only (36 mons and 7,500 miles per year)

1. Should I pull the trigger for $40 more monthly to enjoy the new model? I was thinking will not be able to get that much equity if the market is not like this crazy, so didnā€™t mind putting them into the new lease (I know putting down payment is not a good idea for leasingā€¦)

2. Or should I take the full equity as check, and then monthly payment will be around $640 with first month due?

What do you guys think??

Iā€™d take the equity as a check and Iā€™d evaluate the deal based on the inputs rather than the output.

If you take the deal, does it include a ride in the GMā€™s new boat?

2 Likes

Thanks. Here are more numbers in the new lease, basically itā€™s a MSRP minus $1000 loyalty rebate, sales tax credit, and based MF 0.0008. I put the numbers in the calculator and came out $648 monthly with first month due only, which is pretty close to what they offered me.

MSRP $51745
Selling Price: $50727
Residual: 61%
MF: 0.0008

Trade in value: $44000 and payoff is $37171.

Thoughts?

I would say the boat price might be crazy as well :joy:

Youā€™re close to 635 monthly effective with 6700 in positive equity being rolled in.

Do you think 635 effective is worth the car?

Definitely not worth $635 for sure, but on the other end I donā€™t think my current lease worth $6700 equity credit as well, all due to the crazy market we are in now :rofl:

Also was looking into some brokersā€™ deal sheet and it has $600+ monthly with $3500 due at sign in, the number I got is not bad comparing to that, especially with sales tax situation in TX.

Not sure if Iā€™m losing mind now, but the way Iā€™m looking this is either stay with $410 for 2020 model, or $450 for 2022 model, as those positive equity wasnā€™t there at the first place, and will go away if the market back to normalā€¦

6 Likes

I understand your logic, but I guess itā€™s just meā€¦ Iā€™d take the 6700 cash and get something completely different like a frontier or 4xe.

1 Like

Totally agree and I would do that as well if itā€™s just for myself. But my wife does not like that idea at all :sweat_smile: I was looking at CX9 as well and seems be able to get the monthly payment close to $400s with $0 down and no trade. But it feels a bit downgrade from MDX.

What are the rebates, tax credits, etc if you financed it?

Same thing for the rebate ($1000). sales tax credit is for leasing only, but since traded in value can offset most of the taxable amount there, so not much difference on that as well.

Or maybe keep the $6,700 equity, open another account for it and have 10-11 months of free payments (how your looking at it) with your $635 payment. If you need the cash for any reason itā€™s not in your car and itā€™s in your account. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m doing with my CX-9 equity and I have a 4XE on order. Good luck!

2 Likes

I prefer take the equity check as well, even if $600+ monthly sounds crazy to me as I got used to $300-$400 monthly for a BMW in the past :sweat_smile:

Btw, how do you like your CX-9? Was looking at that car as well

Love the vehicles. I have a 19ā€™ CX-9 Touring & 21ā€™ CX-9 Carbon. Iā€™ve driven a Rogue, X3, Stelvio and I prefer the CX-9. Sharp handling, plush ride quality, upscale interior, super quiet inside and never a problem for either service wise. The Carbon is Polymetal Gray (blueish/gray) with red interior. It was supposed to be mine but my wife only drives it (go figure) once she saw those 20ā€ black wheels. Mazdaā€™s tend to lease well too. Iā€™m curious how the soon to be released CX-50,70 & 90 will look and drive like.

4 Likes

Very nice! Let me looking into that further. Thank you!

1 Like

To be fair, only the X3 and Stelvio are in the same class.

To the OP, I donā€™t think the deal seems that bad, TBH. And, yes, Iā€™d take the equity as a check.

Do you like the new model that much more than your old MDX?

Yes when I wrote Rogue I too thought itā€™s definitely in a different class, haha. But Iā€™d still prefer a base CX-9 over a loaded Rogue cause of the engine.

The redesigned MDX is a sweet looking ride! Good luck once again!

1 Like

Just some nice features like pano roof, wireless charger, android auto, etc. Feels like not a bad deal to get it for $40 more a month.

Wawzj, where are you seeing CX-9ā€™s at an effective monthly in the $400ā€™s with nothing down?

I have a ā€˜19 CX-9 GT and Stelvio in the garage. I greatly prefer the CX-9 in every aspect except the looks.

2 Likes