2021 Hyundai Kona EV Limited offer: $0 DAS, $341/month 36/12k. Good? Your opinion please

Love this story and dedication to driving all the way from NYC Metro to Rochester in an EV to score a deal. Congratulations and enjoy it!

1 Like

Great deal for this current market.
Good Job!

1 Like

Congratulations! Glad that it all worked out!

Congrats! Enjoy it! It is an achievement in this market.

No offense but I would say most of LH members would do the same if they can save around $5k comparing to what You offer for NY customers.

4 Likes

I’d say that after you determine what kind of discount/target deal is possible that the very next step should be determining what radius you are willing to travel to achieve that deal. I’d venture to guess that most of the lousy quotes we see here were from the closest dealership to the person presenting them.

3 Likes

In the current market, I would agree with you 100%. No offense taken.

I’ve been both the highest price, and the lowest price, on the same cars, at different times. I roll with the tides (the market), but I love to see LH members hunt out deals that are anomalous to their local market. Driving 5 hours between markets is a great way to do that (when the stars align, as they did here!)

1 Like

Insane deal OP, reading through this i still had the feeling you were gonna get scammed LOL. Well done, post in trophy garage.

1 Like

@InspiredSquare, Do you think they can replicate this deal?
If their website is up to date they have 147 EV Kona units in stock. WOW!!!

2 Likes

Just advertising a straight up 199/mo sign and drive on the SEL as well. I wonder how they ended up with so many?

they just confirmed. This is real, nothing out of pocket for NY customers. 36/10
Overnight bus from NYC to Rochester cost $52 LOL

6 Likes

Oh… the number of requests they are going to get now… jacking up the price due to newly uncovered demand:)

There are 3 Vision Hyundai in that general area. When I contacted all three last week, none had an SEL, despite the fact that websites did say they had SELs on the lot. The SEL was the vehicle that I was originally targeting… and moved up to Limited because I unexpectedly got an offer that was very good - see heading of this post. (Except at Danbury and Atlantic Hyundai which reported to me they had a few).

pricing all over the place, online says 199 sign and drive, poster says 299, op did 259

Might be confirmed but look at the fine print.

That was yesterday.

With a LeaseHacker score of 15.3, I feel great about the lease. (Even as I’m still recovering from the 20 hr road trip.)
Here is the calculator link: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

I don’t know if the dealer fees and the tax is exact, as I haven’t gone through all the paperwork yet. But these numbers capture the essence.

Here are some things that I did/that I learned in the process that I hope will be constructive to the community. And if others want to disagree, or add emphasis, please do so. All that is welcome:
1 - I targeted 1 make/model. Kona EV SEL and went to the national website in order to look at “nearby” dealers who have that model.
2 - I went to each dealership’s website, found the model of that specific car, and emailed each place individually basically telling them that I was ready to sign, and looking for the best deal. I did not offer any specific numbers.
3 - Responses were all over the place. Some were generic, some offered specific numbers (hence the starting point for this post), and several never responded.
4 - I followed up with them all, and realized that the SEL wasn’t going to be available and started making plans to accept the offer that headlines this posting.
5 - One of the dealerships that never responded, came in at the last minute with this deal. I never negotiated these numbers. That was what was offered to me. It was explained that they needed to make room, that these were cars intended for military but didn’t go to them, that he had a timeline on which to get rid of EV cars and make room for combustion engines, etc. I believed him, and he was being honest.
6 - So I had dealership #1 offering me the titular terms (and not willing to budge from $341/month), and dealership #2 offering me 259/month 0$ DAS for the same vehicle. As I am traveling to dealership #2 to sign papers, I get a text from financial officer at #1 (Canandaigua Hyundai, fyi) who offers an insane 239/month. I asked for paperwork, and it never came. I asked for it again, and it never came. They were ‘busy’, ‘slammed’… just couldn’t get me the important numbers breakdown. Ultimately, it didn’t feel real, but I’ll never know. Because of travel issues, I even gave them 3 full days to get me some specifics, as I wasn’t going to leave $1200 on the table if it were real. On the 3rd day (heard that one before) I had decided that I was not going to reach out to pursue #1 (I thought: ‘if this is a real offer, they will get back to me on it’, and that it seemed as if they were just trying to scuttle the existing deal (I didn’t tell them the details, I just told them it was really, really low and it wasn’t something I could refuse.) Even on day #3, I was texted once again about this $239 deal, and that it’s going to end that day. But I was committed, and paid it no mind.
7 - In addition to EEs critical comments and support through this, I do wonder if luck wasn’t the most important factor. The market I was tapping into was slow for EVs. It was summer. These were 2021 models and they were crowding up the lot and they needed to move. To the extent that luck was the biggest factor, I just needed to be organized and ready to assess offers. I also never negotiated any terms of the aforementioned offers. Any time I did try to negotiate or offer numbers, it never went anywhere. That may tell us something about what’s possible and what’s negotiable and that motivation on the dealership’s part may be the single most important factor (and totally beyond our control) in landing a great deal.
I look forward to comments and other ideas. Thank you all.

6 Likes

Ultimate seems to be 329 sign and drive. So is this only for NY residents or NJ will work as well ?

NY state rebates are only for NY residents. But NJ has a larger rebate for its residents. Up to $5,000

But don’t go around asking for quotes.

Move to a strategy of making offers.

Plug the following into the LH calculator after MSRP of the vehicle you’re looking at:

Selling price based on % pre-incentive discount found by searching Shared Deals and Marketplace sections of this forum.

RV, MF and incentives (lease cash) from Edmunds forums. Add any extra rebates you qualify for (college grad, etc) under incentives.

DMV fees and taxes based on your state’s official website.

Voila! Now check the box to make it $0 DAS and offer the resulting monthly payment*

• preferably rounded to a multiple of $5 or $10 to make yourself seem more like a normal person :innocent:
2 Likes

Rebate is larger only up to 45 msrp, for ultimate model it is 2k, so would be the same. This dealer seems to be at least selling at “normal” price, NJ dealers are mainly jackasses who do market adjustments which almost negate NJ rebate

I’m sure many/most NY dealers are marking up too, just gotta find someone in your state who isn’t.

The smaller rebate really kills the value proposition of the higher trim; are you ok with the trims at or below $45,000?

Remember that cap is before destination, doc and any other line item “that does not add value or resale to the vehicle”

1 Like