2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited FWD - 36/15k, $651/mo, $0 DAS

Palisades are flying off lots, so after working for about a week I secured a deal for 4.4% off MSRP. Happy to share details of the transaction if people are interested. I don’t feel this is a particularly phenomenal deal in the grand scheme of LH, but the best available on the vehicle we wanted. The monthly is high because of a low-value trade.

2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited FWD
MSRP: $47,050
Dealer discount: $2,050 (4.4%)
Monthly Payment: $651
Drive-Off Amount: $0
Months: 36
Annual Mileage: 15k
MF: .00226 (I know, should be lower, but negotiating price/trade yielded better payments)
Residual: 58%
Incentives: $500 lease cash
Region: Southeast
Trade: $2,000 (old Camry)
Dealer fees, registration, acquisition fee: $1,217

Thanks everyone for your posts - I lurked here a bunch learning about leases before pulling the trigger. Hope this post helps someone else out!

EDIT: I hope it’s clear this isn’t a brag post - I benefited greatly from the information I found here and supplied this as a data point. I appreciate the feedback.

Did they cut you a check for that 2K from your trade or did you use it as a Cap Cost Reduction?

Cap cost reduction.

So you are paying $706 a month for a FWD Hyundai? You probably were better off buying it. For that price you could have had an X5, XC90 Inscription/RD with MSDs. Maybe you’ll have some positive equity at the end!

9 Likes

so it should be 2K DAS then…

2 Likes

plus the $1217 in fees…

sorry to say OP @FirstGen, this is a pretty bad deal

3 Likes

I think the $1217 was covered by the 2k from the old car and the rest was probably put towards down payment.

@MrSo0h0o Have you seen better deals on a Palisade?

Yup, my own:

Of course this was back in February when things were different, but your trade included in the deal, high MF (is that buy rate or is it marked up?) and lack of dealer discount just makes this a bad deal.

Bottom line, the deal is signed and theres nothing to change that deal. Enjoy your vehicle. Check out the Palisade forums (https://www.palisadeforum.com/forums/) and also the FB group sites (Hyundai Palisade Owners and Hyundai Palisade Owners Family)

1 Like

Thanks - things are certainly different out there now and I was unable to find a deal at that level. There’s a $2,050 dealer discount (pre-incentive) in my deal though, you might’ve missed that. The MF is marked up - I was pushing for more on my trade, more money off, and the lower MF, but they’d give only two of the three - the other two paid off better.

I have joined Palisade Forum and one of the Facebook groups, thanks!

ETA: My dealership says they will sell about 70 cars this month, and over half were Palisades. Dealers know what they have on this vehicle, and with constrained inventory unfortunately the early-year deals aren’t around. Hope to see someone beat mine, though!

Yeah, Palisade is a nice car but the XC 90 T6 Inscription with advanced package is also a very nice car and available from brokers on the site for $100+ a month less. Even T8 inscription probably comes to about the same price if you figure you save 30 bucks a month in gas with plugging in and better city MPG due to hybrid system. and you probably save a lot more than that if you are driving 15K miles a year.

Right now your MF is high, you may consider seeing what payments would be if you Buy out car and finance it through credit union/bank at 3% or whatever the best rate you can get is.

1 Like

The deal could have been better but an effective $700 X5 is going to have nowhere near the content of a Palisade Limited… NTM the third row is useless.

1 Like

Yeah, X5 a bad comparison. Not really in the same class and not going to be similarly equipped. XC90 is almost exact same size and comes with basically the same equipment options at the price point.

Agreed, but one is a Hyundai and one is a BMW. Part of this is that you can get a Explorer ST or Highlander Platinum for less and that is in this vehicle category. I mean I can’t talk, I am paying $460 a month for a car without power seats (wrangler) because that is what I really wanted so as long as the OP is good with the deal and car that is all that counts. The reality is that sometimes you just pay for what you want.

atleast someone understands this. Not everyone wants or needs an X5 or XC90

1 Like

I drove the XC90 and found it to be equal to the Palisade in some ways, superior in others (aesthetics, automated driving), and inferior in others (interior felt cramped in comparison, no power rear seats, premium gas to get best performance). Awesome vehicle, really liked it, but I couldn’t put together a deal even close to the price I paid for the Palisade and for my purposes it wasn’t worth the premium.

I see someone said XC90 lease deals can be had for $100 less than I paid; I’m surprised to hear that. I looked and didn’t find brokers in my area on this site, so never contacted one.

1 Like

This is a fair critique, but like you said, this is the vehicle we wanted. I specifically don’t want a BMW. Wife’s family is poor, and I spend a lot of time driving through tiny rural towns. I wanted a nice vehicle that doesn’t stick out like a sore thumb. Others will choose the BMW - it wasn’t the right option for me.

I’m confused about this - with 1.9% financing I was still paying $100+ more a month than the lease, so I don’t see how buying out the lease and financing at 3% would improve my payment. I’m a learner, so open to feedback.

It’s too late now given you won’t get the new car APR.

But since it keeps coming up in Pallisade discussions, for anyone else looking for a Telluride the best bet is to find a dealer who will factory order a loaded $47-48K one and sell it to you at MSRP. Pay cash or finance at the promotional APR.

The demand is strong enough to comfortably predict good resale value down the line and fully loaded ones are the rarest.

2 Likes

True. At, let’s say $650 per month, one feels luxurious inside and the other feels poverty spec.

I was thinking total cost of ownership versus monthly payment. Payment might be higher on fianced purchase/refi but total cost of ownership, if say you sell it after three years and 45k miles, might be lower. I have a personal example. We have an Accord wife wanted but they weren’t leasing well at the time. Would have been grind to get dealer to $350ish a month lease. So we financed it. With what Carvana is offering today, I could sell it after 20 months and my effective cost would be $195 a month. Have every expectation that IF I avoid an accident I’ll come out way ahead verus leasing when I sell it after warranty expires.

Mostly true although PenFed will refi a 2019 or 2020 model year car for 2.14% for well qualified applicants. Kicker is term is only 36 months so doesn’t work well for more expensive cars and people looking to control cash flow.