2020 Ford Fusions - up to $10k incentives

Preface: If you don’t like Ford, your snark is needed over in the thread about the Bronco and how bland the new Escape is (not untrue).

Background: Ford’s former CEO (who sold furniture his entire career prior to replacing Mark Fields for a joke about governance) decided a few years ago that Ford should stick to trucks and SUVs, and the Fusion is one of the last cars to go. If you have not rented a car since 2010 or had the pleasure yourself, the Fusion comes in an AWD variant, a hybrid, a PHEV.

I am waiting for confirmation from Edmunds: it appears the 2020 Gas/PHEV do not have lease programs, but the 2020 Hybrid does (the Hybrid is the one I would probably lease/buy personally).

People frequently ask us about burying large amounts of negative equity, here is an opportunity.

All models of Fusion are dripping with trunk money, in many flavors:

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusion/2020/deals/

Special financing is available, in some cases 0% for 84 month. Obviously you can’t combine all the incentives with the special financing, need to validate for yourself.

nationwide inventory as-of posting:

• 11,586 gas
  • 2,986 hybrids
  • 501 PHEVs

If you are trapped in a :poop:-box that is upside-down and are trying to get out, you could do worse. :man_shrugging:t2:

9 Likes

I’ve had the fusion a few times as rental cars… I actually don’t hate it. You could definitely do a lot worse.

9 Likes

Don’t encourage the neg crowd.

Say someone leases a Fusion for $500 when it would otherwise have been half that… how’s that a win?

Only if the negative equity is currently tied up in a high interest loan and the fusion is both next to 0 MF AND has lots of space to bury some equity AND the double taxation doesn’t outweigh the interest savings.

1 Like

It’s a reality. In my case, my first lemon was unsafe, and I lived in a state with a hollowed-out lemon law. I wasn’t going to drive it 2 more years until a class action eventually forced a recall/repair (which happened), so I had to bury $8k in negative.

If the current car is out of warranty, has $6k negative, and they need something with AWD that is new/under warranty? For one. We’ve had some good ones in the past six months that were not all bad decisions.

1 Like

If the credit issue that caused the high interest rate on the existing loan hasn’t been remedied, then they’re not going to get the best rate from FMCC. According to Edmunds the jump from buyrate to Tier 2 is 2.00% APR. If every tier is another 2% that’s a steep hill.

But yeah a narrow use-case might exist

A refi of the existing loan might be a more fruitful Avenue for most. Probably wouldn’t cause another round of taxation so that’s a big savings right there.

I’ve had the Ford Fusion (gas model) as a rental car as well. Overall felt just about the same as some of the other midsize sedans out there. Definitely not a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry in any aspect, but I am sure some people will look past that for the incentives.

The only downside can sometimes be the RVs. I know the Energi PHEV had some of the worst RVs I have ever seen.

Hertz had a bunch of Hybrid Titanium trims a while back and they were my go-to when choosing from the aisles. They were frugal, comfy, had pretty decent tech and a great ride. They didn’t last long on the fleet unfortunately (at least at LAX) as it went back to shitty Nissans pretty quickly.

The resale on these is going to be appalling and i’m quite tempted to pick up a CPO one if and when commuting ever happens again.

2 Likes

The Hybrid Titanium is far from a penalty box. Super comfy, lots of tech. I mean, it isn’t exciting, but then again neither is a run-of-the-mill 330, so…

1 Like

But that badge…LOL

2 Likes

Only meaningful to me when I get into my 2004 E46 ZHP…

3 Likes

If the exterior doesn’t have 5 roundels, is it even a Bimmer?

1 Like

The German manufacturers have spent a few decades grooming us to respect the cars country of origin, despite any evidence to the contrary😁

I’ll admit, Ive fallen for it, a dozen times or so, maybe more…

2 Likes

It’s not a Versa?

7 Likes

Like the fiesta. I’d rather willingly get food poisoning than be a passenger, drive, or even get two steps close to a Fiesta hatch

1 Like

You are breaking my heart @HersheySweet!

1 Like

I picked this up as a 3rd/ fun car on a lease swap and, after having driven God knows how many cars in my nearly half century on this planet, I can say without reservation this thing is just about the most fun car I have ever had. It is an absolute hoot to drive. Seriously.

1 Like

A buddy of mine snagged a Focus RS from the auction as a quick flip car. He ended up keeping it for a year, and drove it more then his Trackhawk, or Hellcat. I would assume the fiesta is equally as fun but I have been secretly hunting a RS since I drove it.

1 Like

I’m sure the ST is a hoot… the rental spec or base? not so much

1 Like

I debated between the Focus and Fiesta in my search but I really wanted the Fiesta ST (FiST) (because it is a little smaller and more nimble). I’m glad I went with the FiST because I can confirm all of the magazine reviews of this car were 100% accurate, it is literally like a go cart.

The Focus ST (and RS especially) have the potential to be much faster in a straight line, but with the added weight and size just don’t feel the same.

1 Like