2018 Tiguan S in LA

Hey everybody,

I’ve done my research, made my decision on which SUV to focus on, and am ready to pull the trigger this month once I find the right deal. I do have some questions for you all.

I am going for a base model 2018 Tiguan S. I like the fabric seats and interior more than the other base models suggested, and the Android Auto and backup camera are the only tech I really care about, so not too interested in the higher trims. (I also tested a Tiguan Limited, which is a few bucks cheaper, but the interior seems super cheapo compared to the new model). I am not too picky about color, I honestly like almost all the combos. I do have a few preferred of course, but would prefer the cheapest deal over perfect color.

That said, it looks like just by taking the currently advertised deals and rolling down money / TTL into payment, I can almost hit the 1% rule on a $25K msrp model 10K/36 for $260 a month, first month due at signing.

Before I decide which dealerships to negotiate with, wondering if anyone has any dealer suggestion in LA/Socal. The Wiki only lists one VW dealer, but up in the Bay Area. Downtown LA, Galpin, Puente Hills, Winn Woodland Hills all have advertised deals around the above numbers.

Now for the fun part. Edmunds is showing RV at 61%, $1300 lease cash. We all know VW isn’t moving these things, and just dropped the MSRP. Before the drop, Truecar was showing 10% off as the average discount. If I can still get 10% off, I am hoping to get effective price down to $225/m. Leasehackr goal of 20% off msrp to get it down to $200.

My other thought is to go hard negotiating the SE w pano sunroof down to the $250 range (SE just dropped msrp even more, so thinking maybe they are willing to deal harder on these, and I would be willing to spend a little more for the nicer seats and sunroof).

As for additional discounts, the only one I think I might qualify for is current VW owner. My girlfriend is financing a 2011 Jetta (but not through VW). Registered to same address though. Also, this is technically my first vehicle financing ever (I have always bought used cars for cash in the past), so not sure if this qualifies me for any other programs (fwiw my credit score is 720+, and i earn $100K, so I am not a typical first time buyer).

I am going to start hitting dealers today and will follow up with offers that I receive.

Any other suggestions welcome!

Check that out, is VW in Glendale. The other deals are slightly higher, depending how much you want to put down. If you are willing to go for the 2017 model, they are giving them away almost for free. Same dealer has the 17 Model for 88 dollars with 3k down. Good luck

Yup. They all have similar offers. Van Nuys has a $0 down for $228 which I have to check the math but is close to the Glendale deal.

Also saw Woodland hills is offering $169 w 2k down + ttl on 24m which is also tempting.

Just sent my first email, fingers crossed. Lets see who really wants to sell me a Tiguan.

good luck, if you are willing to invest a bit more, I think with the Atlas you get a lot more of car for your money, Glendale has it for 235 and 2500 down.

Thank you! Yeah the Atlas is definitely awesome, but a bit bigger than I really need. I will check it out though and see if the numbers make sense.

I am trying to be frugal and go for what is the best financial decision, in getting a base model of something I can live with for the next few years. I know people have knocked the Tiguan but I think for my money its the nicest base model SUV out there. Once I hit some more financial goals, I will definitely get something nicer the next time around.

So I have my first round of replies. Emailed 4 dealers in LA area. Everyone is quoting me base MF which is a good sign to start with. They definitely want to move these things.

Current numbers are not bad, and they are throwing out decent discounts to start. Ive gotten on first try, sign and drive deals that are 10% off MSRP that meet the 1% rule before tax. First month due at signing, everything else rolled in.

S - $1300 lease cash / 0.00090 MF / 61% RV
$25865 MSRP
$252/m + tax

SE w pano sunroof - $250 lease cash / 0.00055 MF / 62% RV
$29,150.00 MSRP
$289/m + tax

I got one dealer who was straight up, and told me he wouldn’t waste my time quoting me the regular numbers since I already know how the system works and probably have an ideal number in mind. He told me to send him that, and if he can do it, he will.

I am going to shoot for 15% off MSRP as my long shot, and ideally wind up at 1% rule with tax included. Thoughts? Should I try for 20% off?

how about the deal of Keyes for 228 sign and drive? the one you have is higher. I know that VW is right now quite aggressive, they want to gain market share and do all what is needed to sell their cars. would try the 20% off, you don’t have anything to loose.
Please keep us posted, I am in the market for a new car, not focused on a certain brand, but Tiguan and Atlas are definitely one of cars I would go for when I get a sweet deal. Although I have to admit I am pretty spoiled, I got my 40K MSRP Infitniti Q50 for 259,- sign and drive for 39 Month!

My inner cheapskate would go for the 2017 Tiguan. It looks like you could do a sign and drive of a 2017 for around $169 a month versus the $228 for the 2018.

Something else that is important to me in the 2017 is Satellite radio . The 2017 has it in the base S model, the 2018 requires you to go above the base trim level to get them.

The Van Nuys offer was the same as what I was getting elsewhere. Fine print on that one says “: plus first Month, Sales tax, License fee/Registration, $695 Bank Acquisition fee and $80 Document fee”

The number I quoted above has everything rolled in so only first month is due at signing.

I feel like I can get 15% easy, honestly super nervous about asking for 20% (considering this is all by email, I don’t know why lol). But like you said what do I have to lose. Honestly if I can wind up walking away with the SE trim for what they are currently asking for the S trim, I will feel like I got a good deal on my first attempt at hacking.

I tried on the 2017, but I really like the new interior a lot more. I also tried to force myself to just live with the Tiguan Limited, which as much as I love the cheaper price, sitting in it, it just felt cheap and like I would regret my decision. Honestly if I was just out to get the cheapest deal in town, I would just go for a Encore or Equinox over the Tiguan Limited.

I am the opposite on the music tip. I could care less about satellite radio. I’m an old school iTunes library user, and have all my music synced to a 256GB sd card in my phone. So I am all about the Android Auto and being able to access my music through that interface. The fact that is available on the S trim is a big reason that I am considering this.

It is actually false advertisement when they say sign and drive and than ask you for additional money. Sign and drive means nothing out of pocket and most of the time it includes the first payment. Is different when they say 0 down, than usually there are additional 800-1200 drive offs.

Again, we are in January, not the busiest month and they need to sell, go with the 20% and if they dont give it to you you either go to the next dealership or go 15%. Based on my experience, best is when you take a Saturday and go dealership to dealership and talk to them in person.

I tend to agree with Masterblaster, and also think that the 2017 will drop another 20-40 over the next 1-2 month until they are all sold out. I think the 2017 tiguan is a solid car and if you can get it for 130-140 with 0 down that is an awsome deal.

Just found this, getting closer, VW Long Beach, good luck negotiating!

Sweet! Getting closer for sure. That is actually the number I have decided I am going to hit for the SE w Pano. 20% off discount + $250 lease cash would get me there. If this next attempt strikes out that would seem to be my best bet locally.

Found this one in Maryland so I know its possible. They have a bogus $900 destination add on charge, but this model also has the 18" wheels which is a $1400 upgrade. They have another one in black too if anyone one on East Coast is looking.
http://www.pohankavw.com/auto/new-2018-volkswagen-tiguan-se-capitol-heights-md/23646849/

let my know if you can get the SE for the same quote somewhere, I would jump on it too. Would be interested to see if vw offers any conquest rebate.

Long Beach was a bust. When they contacted me back, they said it was a mistake that offer was still up from the holidays and the new number was $254. Now the site is updated on homepage with that price, and this $196 offer is gone. Unwilling to honor their mistake or even meet halfway so im done with them.

Waiting for word on my 20% offer to a different dealer. Initial response was they couldnt approve it themself, but sent to Sales Manager for consideration. So ball is still in play…

If you really like this vehicle and think you could have it for awhile, I would buy instead of lease as it comes with a 6 year / 72k warranty which is quite amazing. Have them throw in free maintenance for 3 years and a nice 15% of MSRP and you are set.

Ok what do you all think of this offer.

Tiguan SE w Pano sunroof + 18" wheels
10K / 36m

MSRP - $29150
Sale price - $25800 (11% off msrp)

Monthly $280

Due at signing - 1st month + @ $375 in tags / doc fees

Before tax I am beating 1% rule

After tax ($308 in LA) i am not, but considering the MSRP was $31,330 a few weeks ago, I feel like I got a good deal here on my first ever lease.

This is the best deal I have gotten on this trim, and the color combo / wheels is actually my first choice.

Also, the dealer I asked for 20% off pretty much laughed at me.

I feel like I can probably do better if I wait til the 30th and pressure them for another $10 off, or wait 2 more months and get $40 off, but as of today I am pretty happy with these numbers.

Should I pull the trigger?

Is not a crazy deal, but for that it is the new model and has all these options, I would say is ok. What were your experiences with the VW dealers in the area? which dealer was it finally?

Thanks for your feedback. I feel the same way. I know i should just probably get the Limited or the S (offered similar deal just less % off msrp), but I feel like this is setup how I like, and I will be happy driving this for 3 years.

I have one offer out to a different dealer to beat this number. Will see what they say, and go from there.

Dont want to jinx myself by naming dealers yet, bc we all know until Im driving away, these numbers and experiences are all meaningless. Will give a full rundown once I sign for sure.

sounds good! if you are not in hurry, keep always in mind, there will be always a crazy deal, somewhere, somehow! So take your time.

good luck