Wyoming proposes banning EV sales by 2035

The Cowboy State Daily article linked from Engadget has some interesting arguments why

A 2021 study by the International Energy Agency, an intergovernmental organization based in Paris, calculated that EVs require six times more minerals than conventional cars, including critical minerals such as copper, lithium, nickel, cobalt, graphite, zinc and rare earths.

The resolution raises concerns about the ability of the U.S. critical mineral supply to meet increased demand from EV manufacturers and the potential waste problem from disposing of old EV batteries

Lightly seasoned with crazy-sauce

The resolution also praises gas-powered vehicles for enabling the state’s industries and businesses to transport goods and resources throughout the nation.

episode 8 child GIF

The bill, if passed, also directs the Wyoming Secretary of State to send copies of the resolution to President Biden and California Governor Gavin Newsom.

pretty little liars sexting GIF

As the articles state, it’s not a total ban on EVs, but a proposed statewide ban on the sale of new EVs.

1 Like

This to me is one of those “Hold my beer” type of actions.

At the end of the day purely symbolic. Their neighbor to the north will be happy to take some EV sales and registrations tax free.

5 Likes

Here I come.
Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN

I was thinking “gender reveal party where dad loses a finger”, but I guess we’ll see. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Why can I hear the echoes of a banjo playing in my head?

1 Like

I do like the idea of keeping my gas and diesel car options. At present there are zero EVs that would allow me to drive from San Diego to our second home in Big Bear (160 miles with lots of uphill) while towing a small trailer.

1 Like

The US is literally the only country where EVs have become a political issue. Same with renewable energy. Blows my mind that some folks are so vehemently opposed to industries where America could be a world leader.

11 Likes

Americans like freedom of choice, not coercion. This is just symbolic to show how ridiculous banning competing energy sources is.

12 Likes

F-150 Lightning standard range is 240 miles, extended range 320 miles.

Not while towing a trailer up a grade.

9 Likes

May want to hop in the Lightening forum or check some YouTube videos. The ford lightening is a truck for guys who dye their beards and and wear skinny jeans.

12 Likes

It’s only a political issue because one group of politicians is trying to quasi-outlaw gas vehicles.

Let innovation be the decider, don’t force innovation. I always use CCFL lights as an example. Government basically banned halogens, forced us all to use CCFL, CCFL sucks, long time to warm up, no one wants them, halogen black market, but now we have LED’s which are actually better, and no one had to force anyone to buy them. Innovation made people use the more energy efficient choice freely, not because government forced them to. Eventually people will want an EV because it is just the better option, but right now, for everyone, it isn’t.

4 Likes

True :sweat_smile: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/ford-f150-lightning-electric-truck-towing-test/

1 Like

Even ICE trucks too no?

Just like people who buy 4x4 large SUVs but really need a minivan. :laughing:

Too lazy to read the proposal but it should just be you can’t ban non-EV sales.

I live in Cali and I think the banning of non-EV vehicles is dumb… choices are always good.

2 Likes

F250 diesel with 8700 lbs should get around 200-250 miles. Along with a ten minute fillips vs waiting an hour or longer.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be a loophole to allow you to still buy new fuel powered trucks. Look at Manchin, he tried his best to kill EVs and still a loophole snuck in.

But for your specific case I would think that’s more < 10% of the people in CA who have a legit reason for a gas truck, unlike over 50% of my neighbors who have a large gas guzzler and it has never seen mud.

But the trip down would add a ton of miles.
Good luck avoiding politics with this thread!

Awkward Oh No GIF by CBC

Depends on the regen rate and how how long regen will hold, the Rivian for example has a notoriously poor regen limit after a short period down on a grade.

And they’re coming for the gas stoves too. Which anyone that cooks knows they’re far superior to electric. Banning wood burning stoves in the name of safety. There’s a million known carcinogens in our processed food that europe outlaws already. If health was the concern there’s plenty of places that could use tighter regulation. But we all know they don’t care about the useless eaters health…

6 Likes

What loophole? You mean the tax credit written explicitly in plain english?

2 Likes