Wyoming proposes banning EV sales by 2035

Yup, that’s a snucked in loophole. I suspect he saw 45W and believed it only applied to business’s that buy EVs for their personal fleet. Not that it would be used by leasing companies to encourage consumers to lease from them. If you remember the whole EV thread, 45W wasn’t even mentioned until late November I believe but the whole thing was there since August.

I suspect he, like many others, simply didnt read 45. That doesnt make it a loophole.

You say potato, Dan Quayle says potatoe…that’s how loopholes work, people not understanding them at first then others realizing that it can be used a certain way to their benefit.

Flippers exploit a loophole, but it isn’t because it’s always been there (buying a car then selling it).

We are talking about the same thing, something right there specified out, but no one read it 100% at that moment.

Theres a significant difference between an ambiguity being exploited and the plain english letter of a law.

Something doesnt become a loophole because someone neglected to read it and doesnt like what it says.

The effect, in the short term, may be the same, but the difference is in the rememdy. The more people view something as a loophole, the more tolerant they are if someone closes it via guidance rather than understand theyre drastically overstepping their legislative authority.

Whatever man, your definition of loophole is different than mine…leave it at that.

A stupid law , which incentivizes moronic creations like the wrangler 4xe which are horrible for the environment, inefficient and just plain wasteful. The American way

1 Like

While keeping politics out of it, how many options will be available in 2035 for non-BEV? I guess at least 50% of the model offerings will be BEV, and the remaining will be electrified in some capacity(Plug-in, hybrid, and 48-volt hybrid). Maybe leaving under 10% of the offerings as ICE.

2 Likes

Well why wouldn’t you want a PHEV in 12 years from now? Lol, for all you know the cars will finally be self driving (I gave up on flying after watching too many farmers market videos)

I do expect Trucks to go PHEV, and gas only will probably be gone.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like I’d make it up the hill even if starting on a full charge. @johandkoh Thank you for sharing.

That article caused a few thoughts to pop up. First thought is Gavin Newsom (CA) is potentially creating the scenario which the rich is limited to affording a diesel truck to pull a family camping trailer- essentially making it a rich persons hobby. (Ram just killed the diesel in the Ram 1500 meaning you need to purchase a 2500).

Second, I think a second look and additional consideration is warranted to look at a more tempered push for complete EV adoption until such time as technology and infrastructure catches up with how people actually live; and the cost and utility falls within in an average family’s finances.

These conversations are helpful! Trying to be as politically middle ground as possible!

3 Likes

But probably not superior to induction for the way most people cook at home. For restaurants, it’s a bigger issue.

I personally would not have minded getting an induction range when we recently replaced our gas range, but we live in a condo and the cost of re-wiring and such (esp if we do ever plan to add an EV charger) would’ve been insane.

I imagine it will be much higher than that (at least until they discover that the infrastructure won’t support it). A family member works in the car industry. There is nothing happening w/ ICE for cars.

It puts the lotion on the skin or else it gets cold bugs again.

WHAT??? You have to explain things to me, bucko.

Just a smile on the gas range ban thought bubble being floated to gauge reactions. :fire:

Yeah so 1500-2000 for induction or $500 for gas. None of these regulations ever have the consumer in mind

1 Like

Yes, but you didn’t say that gas range are cheaper. You simply said they were “far superior.”

Yes, old school electric stinks.

But the few people I know who have induction absolutely love it and wouldn’t want to go back to gas. I’d love to be able to boil water in a few secs and not worry about burning myself on an open flame (I’m a bit absent-minded).

I think the other thing is that I’m on a food board, and so there’s been a lot of back and forth about the gas range ban. Some folks are like, “Gas is way better b/c what about wok cooking and flambé and…” And it’s like, “Seriously??? How many people are using those cooking techniques on a regular basis?”

I think the problem the gas-range ban isn’t cost but more that that gas ranges don’t actually add that much to environmental pollution (from my understanding), and so they’re a strangely low-yield target…

I STILL DON’T GET IT!!! I internet searched your phrase. Are you referencing “Silence of the Lambs”?

1 Like

12 years is a long time to catch up. I suspect there will be an EV truck by 2035 that does what you need it to do.
I agree that the CA law, just like the WY that started this thread, are nothing but virtue signaling to the base. The market has already spoken - there won’t be many car makers left making ICE cars in 2035.

What the government SHOULD be doing is to spend money where the market won’t. The Biden administration seems to at least attempt to do that, by making EVs more affordable to lower earners through incentives tied to income, investing in charging infrastructure and incentivizing battery production in the US.
The IRA is imperfect, but it’s a whole lot better than doing nothing.

1 Like

Getting the government and especially revenue collectors out of the car industry would be better than nothing; which in turn would be better than the IRA, which so far is living up to the original meaning of its initials.

But you know that thing they say about idle hands: Way too many drawing a government paycheck if you ask me.

2 Likes

Yikes and I thought the crazies here in Virginia were bad enough. This makes me thankful my Governor is too busy spending time out of the Commonwealth thinking he can run for President and get more than 4 votes

My wife would never go back to gas now we have induction. Fair few advantages over gas and not many disadvantages

2 Likes

Regarding proposed ICE bans in California and NY…what does the language read? Is the sale for ICE banned or sale and registration?
If latter…they manage to put a few dealerships out of business, not out of the norm for those two states to be unfriendly to businesses.
But if the former scenario, states are going to lose on the sales tax, folks are going to register their ICE in some other state,