Why repairing your EV so expensive

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/ev-repair-expensive-eecf09fd?st=90nr3o59s2eudqg&reflink=mobilewebshare_permalink

Out of warranty I suppose yes but so far I’ve spent much less repairing our Tesla MX then we ever did on our last long term ICE car, a Lexus LS.

2 Likes

Most of the article talks about accident repairs and increased insurance costs

That’s the case with just about any new car especially those on new platforms.

This is just unacceptable:

"When Scott MacFiggen’s neighbor backed into his Rivian R1T last summer, the vehicle was left with a dent the size of a bowling ball under a rear taillamp.

MacFiggen was expecting a couple-thousand-dollar bill from the repair shop and to be without his truck for a couple of weeks. “I guess I was a little naive,” said the 51-year-old San Francisco resident. The actual bill came to $22,000, and the vehicle took 2½ months to fix."

2 Likes

As always. There is way more to that story.

1 Like

and what would that be?

1 Like

As more and more of these EV’s are built around structural battery packs. Insurance companies probably get a lot less money for damaged EV’s selling them to salvage yards. This has to play into insurance premium costs.

1 Like

Well a dent in a bumper doesn’t cost 20k. What else did it damage. The article is misleading and void of relevant information about what actually the problem is

2 Likes

How do you know this? Did you write the article or are you the person that sustained the damage?

What makes you believe it is “misleading“ and what are your facts?

1 Like

I just assumed everyone had heard about the crazy priced Rivian bumper repair by now. Here’s a few videos, but I’ll save you the time. It’s because the bed and cab share 1 large panel on the side. The quotes are no doubt exaggerated because of insurance, but I can see how that would be expensive:

2 Likes

If i was writing an article talking about evs being more expensive to repair and was providing a specific example, i would have detailed out what about it being an ev made it more expensive to repair. In this case, they just say “there was underlying structural damage that wasnt noticed”.

Using OEM repair for panel repair and paint is something I will never understand unless it’s an exotic

1 Like

That doesn’t speak to the general population with respect to that level of specifics. The WSJ is in business to make money and not be writing dissertations in each piece.

The article speaks for itself, and also see the YouTube video above. You and @spike can write a letter to the editor of the WSJ and complain about how they were correct.

It’s nothing but lazy journalism. They failed to support the most basic point they were trying to make. They may be right that evs are expensive to repair, but they didn’t even attempt to connect those dots.

2 Likes

Right, it is lazy because you don’t support the premise and don’t like the WSJ, their politics, etc.

Doesn’t change the facts of the cost of the Rivian repair.

I look forward to your rewrite and letter to the editor.

The cost of the rental car may also be included in the price. A friend of mine had hail damage on her VW during Covid. Should have only taken a few weeks to fix but due to supply chain issues it ended up taking 4 months. Repair costs were only $4,000 (moonroof was cracked) but four months of rental car was something like $7k.

This is a ridiculous strawman argument.

It’s lazy because they failed to address the premise. If you’re going to use an example of a repair being expensive due to it being an ev, talk about how it being an ev is relevant.

I didn’t comment one way or another on the wsj’s politics or my opinion of the premise. I commented on the poor job they didn’t substantiating their point.

5 Likes

Just conjecture as it could be all kinds of things.

More of the same from @mllcb42. You don’t like the premise, and therefore you are attacking the messenger.

You’re an EV guy, that’s great. It doesn’t mean that the repair didn’t cost what it says. The same way California didn’t actually ban two stroke engines “decades ago” but according to you CA did just that.

Go find something actually factually incorrect to harp upon.

I have no problem with the premise, but if youre going to claim something is causal instead of corrolary, when you write an article highlighting an example, the most basic thing you need to do is point out the causal relationship. That’s journalism 101.

3 Likes