Why monthly is different between calculator result and dealer quote? (First time leasing in US :P)

Hi, Seattle area. First time leaser, actually first time trying to get a car :smiley: just got driver license this month! Found the forum in the process of trying to negotiating a better deal between dealers. Tons of information and found people are nice here!

One of the local Mazda dealer gave a quote of CX-5 GT + premium package as shown below:

MSRP: 35280
Selling Price: 32753
Residual: 57%
MF: .00006
Assuming 36/10, ACQ 595 bunch of other fees
The dealer gave an estimate of $376.23 (tax incl) which I made a quick calculation and it seems reasonable:

(32753-20109.6)1.099(1+0.00143)(35/36)/36=376.8294

Assuming tax rate 9.9% local, with 0.14% APR.

But the leasehackr calculator shows an monthly of $348, which gets me a bit curious on the discrepancy. Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Down payment is not the same as due at signing. Read the calculator guide to get your calculations to match.

Hey @Jon thanks for the reply! Yes I’m aware and asked for a $2000 downpayment. My rough calculation is there is around $900 built-in to the monthly pay on top of $2000 down payment to make the number reach $376, so really confused.

Made a double check, I think the dealer’s worksheet has built 732 (582 Gov fee + 150 doc fee) +224 (sales tax)=$956 into price that caused the issue. Yeah the discrepancy happened with miscalculated drive off.

I still think this price is too high but not sure how to negotiate it off more :sob:

Why would you want to put $2k in CCR, especially with such a low MF?

How many times have you gone back and forth on price with this dealer? What target pre-incentive discount are you working towards? How many dealers have you negotiated with?

Your current deal is at a 7.2% pre-incentive discount, correct?

To be clear, there isn’t a ton of room in Mazda to negotiate and the market up here in Seattle isn’t particularly strong. I think the strongest I’ve seen on a CX-5 is about an 8% discount before incentives - you aren’t far off from that.

Regarding your calculator, here is how they are coming up with the $2376 initial payment and $376/month including tax:
$582 Licensing
$150 Doc Fee
$376.23 first month payment
$1135 capital cost reduction
$134 taxes on capitalized cost reduction
Total: $2376 DAS

If I adjust your cap cost reduction to reflect that $1135 number (instead of $2000), the numbers (mostly) add up:

1 Like

I have been going back and force via email with this dealer, I think I would be happy to have an additional $1000 off the final price which would bring a 10% discount. I have talked with 2 dealers with worksheets, one of them might be hard to squeeze cause it is closer to city center. Trying to ask two other dealers for a worksheet to compete, those two are a bit slow in response…

The current deal is 7.2% pre-incentive that’s correct.

Thanks @Jon Yeah told dealer about 2k down before I know this forum and understand how MF works :stuck_out_tongue: Thinking of removing it.

I don’t see you getting to 10% discount without some additional incentives, and I’m not sure there are any. Mazda just doesn’t have that kind of margin and dealers will not be going that deep in the PNW.

@28firefighter understands the PNW well, so lean into his insights.

There are not a lot of CX-5 deals posted here (so thanks in advance for posting your deal when its done). Recently, the best I have seen here (nationally) is: 10.9% @rjoh1987, 9.6% @cb110, 9.1% @kris.k and 8.4% @jsingh5292 .

You approach is solid. Rake in as many offers as you have time for, leverage the best deal you have against all the others and settle for the best you can get. Unfortunately, you are cursed with a dealer friendly market.

A few observations:

1. In my region Mazda is waiving the 1st payment, check to see if its available to you.
  2. Avoid down payment as others have commented.

Fight the good fight. Good luck.

The lease worksheet shows that it is applied.

Thanks @28firefighter ! thankt’s a bummer but I would try to push the price down a bit, see how far I can get. Actually enjoyed this process :smiley:

Currently Mazda offer $1,500 incentives for cash and $500 for financing w/ 0% APR which is actually a good deal, just since it is my first car I’m not sure what I would like 3 years from now.

Thanks so much @824 !

these are really helpful! I’m actually very impressed to see how well people negotiated.

@cb110 seem to have gotten the same model with what I’m trying to get with additional $1,085 incentive which I think is pretty amazing.

Interesting you mentioned the PNW dealers are not having much leverage, the people I’ve talked with are decent people, just trying to get a better deal :smiley:

And as @Jon mentioned the first payment is waived and is built-in into 36 mo payment.

Thanks! Will try to avoid down payment, good advise!

Thanks!