Why do I even bother…

I do help a lot of friends and family but I would say at least 50% decide to go on their own bc of a must have or impatience. My immediate family always gets cars through me though, I just hate when friends or friends of friends message me for deals. It’s always way more work then selling to people on leasehackr who already did their homework and know my price can’t be beat.

I also feel guilty charging them. That’s another issue…but unless they’re family or close friends I’m saving them thousands and they should pay for my time like everyone else.

6 Likes

I feel this way and I’m not even a broker so this is crazy hearing this from you.

It’s like asking a doctor for medical advice and arguing with them.

I don’t even want to refer them to a broker because if they give me fits… why would I pass that experience on?

1 Like

Emotion plays a huge role in car buying as does instant gratification. Car dealers know it that’s why they want to get you into the dealership. I do well on referrals here bc it’s usually a neighbor that sees the truck, wants one and already knows what his buddy paid. So very simple transaction. The people that must have a certain color/options are the ones that always wind up overpaying. Have to be patient or flexible to get the best deal unless you’re just lucky and I have exactly what you want in stock, which is rare these days.

5 Likes

FACTS! Ask me how I ended up with another black car when I said I wouldn’t do it again :laughing:

7 Likes

Yeah I’m also surprised at how many people have a deep rooted disgust for leasing. Maybe it’s the notion many buyers imagine they’ll be driving all their cars into the ground (even though we know the vast majority do not). It seems many people in NorCal would rather over-pay on a BEV @ MSRP than get the exact same car on a ultra-attractive lease.

And taken to an extreme, sometimes I feel like people are ashamed of boasting getting a “deal” when they buy their cars. For example, @IAC_Scott has a i5 M60 with all the bells and whistles for $987 pre-tax a month ($3k DAS).

But I know someone who just picked up their i5 M60 last week, and he is paying $1,350 (pre-tax) a month with $5k DAS. He’s proud about how great his car is - he doesn’t care about the deal. If the i5 M60 was ‘only’ $1k a month he’d probably not want the i5. So the premium price rationalizes the premium car he’s driving.

The concept of paying bargain bin pricing on a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi is kind of off-putting to many of the people who are the target market for that vehicle. So I think these bargain leases are just serving to conquest buyers away from Hyundai IONIQ’s and conquest away from Volvo.

1 Like

Leasing has a bad reputation bc most don’t know the math and 90% of lease deals are atrocious that are advertised. Plus people always say “you don’t own it”. Well they don’t own it either way unless they pay cash so I don’t understand that argument. It’s just like the people that say never rent a home, there’s times to buy and rent almost anything in every market.

After seeing how much one minor accident destroys your cars value I would always lease in the future regardless. I’m not married to any brand or particular car so I’ll seek the best deal always.

3 Likes

Same with a black car… but twice. :laughing:

1 Like

Happened many times and I actually lost friends because I’m a “dick”

I had my wife’s friend who bothered me for 2-3 months for a XC90 and told him to contact a broker from LH. He took same numbers to dealer and dealer said they cannot match. He got impatient and said “by the time I pay broker fee and shipping, it’s not worth it”…. For an Indian, he’s terrible at math. He’s still paying overall $190 more a month. He went around saying “ohhh he doesn’t help, he just pawns you off to someone else” lol

I lost a really good friend who was one of my groomsmen over similar issue. I just blocked him out of my life and less stress free of not hearing his complaints about how he hates his car (Alfa)

5 Likes

Coz most people, when they “ask” for your opinion, don’t really want to hear your opinion; they already have an idea but lack confidence, so they need validation from others to push them. What they really need is not helpful advice, but the motivation to take action.

7 Likes

Lol sounds like you got a 1 on your survey.

2 Likes

LOL! If 0 was an option, I am sure it would be a 0

2 Likes

Is it? Or is it too much confidence (Dunning Krueger?)

I’ve seen overconfident people get destroyed because they were too hubristic to ask or follow any advice.

2 Likes

You bother because you care … they don’t care so they don’t bother with following up :wink: … I used to do this, spend hours . only to be told by another person that they signed paperwork on another car. I don’t offer my help anymore … just say, I don’t know and move on with my life.

4 Likes

Can we rename this thread to Hackrs Anonymous?

Everyone coming here to share their LH life grievances :joy:

8 Likes

“Life Grievances”? Say less bud!

1 Like

tbh, i tried with my last two leases. I have done over 20 leases all with dealerships and mostly by email/phone and I just sign and pick up the car. I establish right up front what I am looking to do, and inform them I am very familiar with how leases work. I just did a Hyundai Tuscon 2024, and it was done with this method. All my leases are sign and drive. Zero money exchanged. Just give me the lease price, and it also includes first month. SO I just picked up the Hyundai in CT, and have 35 payments left. Simple. I tried that on LEASEHACKR and got nowhere. What am I doing wrong here is my question? I will say at first blush they dont like that structure, sign and drive. My reasoning is that if god forbid the car was totaled, all that up front money is not recoverable

1 Like

I did that as well for a family member but they never appreciated it.
We’re both the same in terms of being giving to others. If there’s any concession we should be proud of ourselves in learning and applying.

1 Like

I have no idea how do you do that. Maybe you are the best speaker ever.

For example I checked jeep 4xe on jeep com and it says 300$/mo. So since there is no possibility to purchase through website I went to nearest jeep store. And they calculated 800$/mo. I said that i need 300$/mo as stated on website but they declined. So do i need to fight with them to get 300$/mo??? Call the police and report scam??

I’m glad you are good at arguments but I’m not

1 Like

No it doesnt.

You need to read the whole thing where it says $300/mo*

And the * is with $6000 due at signing before taxes, fees, and dealer add ons… which ends up being thousands more.

This is a common thing where people dont actually read the whole listing.

4 Likes

It has nothing to do with that. Start reading Share Deals & Tips in your spare time.