Why do I even bother…

Why do I bother trying to help family and friends, when they never :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: listen.

I had the fortune of finding leasehackr roughly 4 years ago. Since that time I’ve leased the 530i and Wrangler 4xe during their insane runs. My wife has leased a CX-5 and an Ariya. Even my father in law did a deal on a Lexus nx 2 years ago that he’s been very happy with.

But, I have others that ask for help. I’ll provide them with advice, recommendations, even show them quotes from brokers. Yet, they still run to the dealership bc they must have a certain color and/or package.

I don’t understand how one is willing to pay 600+ for something that can be had for sub 500 if you just ventured out of your rigid comfort zone.

It’s a lease…in 2-4 years it’s gone. I’d completely understand if you were financing for 60-72 months.

Rant over…

19 Likes

Been there, done that.

9 Likes

Yup. They’re the worst. I had one friend ask for help, I spent a couple days working with him going through options, etc. Had something lined up with a broker that would have saved him thousands. Finally told me that he had actually gone to the dealer a couple days before and already purchased.

10 Likes

The best thing that you can do is refer them to a broker, and let them come to conclusion on their own.

Other than that, it’s not worth concerning yourself with others financial endeavors.

7 Likes

So many seem to think it’s a scam/not possible and so don’t even try. I had so many people tell me they wish they could flip Jeeps back when I was doing it multiple times and then wouldn’t take a single step even though I laid it all out for them on a golden platter.

4 Likes

Nothing is worse than taking your own time to help family members or significant others who will remain stubborn and go with their own choices at the end of the day despite how much more $ you can save them. As suggested above those types of people you simply send to a broker who will deal with the headaches in exchange for their fees.

2 Likes

20 Likes

Drives me crazy. I think there are a few reasons. For most people, the thought of shipping a car is mind-mindbogglingly complex and something they want nothing to do with. That leaves local dealers, who of course are going to say that there is no way that better deal exists. And they believe them. Whenever people have asked me for help or advice, knowing that I have bought a few cars and can get deals, they have invariably done the opposite anyway. I have also had a few that I have told about brokers where if you pay them $500, they will save you that much many times over and I think that concept is right up there with shipping a car.

3 Likes

Imagine I’m your friend, and I want a Hyundai Ioniq 5 in SEL or Limited trim. What steps do you do to find me what you know is the best offer ever?

3 Likes

Bud not everyone is looking to save every penny. Some people want what they want. You shop at the outlet, they shop at retail.

Not everyone needs to have the absolute cheapest to be happy.

10 Likes

just remember some people shop the deal, other people shop the car.

You get a hard on from having a 1 of 1 unicorn deal. Not everyone else does.

6 Likes

I’ve found that when people ask me for help with ______, the vast majority of the time they’re just looking for someone to listen, or they’re hoping for someone to rubber stamp a bad idea.

22 Likes

All anyone really wants in a friend is another source of confirmation bias.

6 Likes

Especially after the fact. Seems to be the most normal time.

I don’t get this. I am looking at this problem as “I want this car, what is the best price”. Do you really think everyone here only buys or leases what they do because they are … the cheapest?

You’re not a hackr unless you run into this issue

6 Likes

Every money trick is like this whether it’s churning, leasehacking, or even saving money in business by simply shopping around. Some people just do not care about deals. Meanwhile, you have people on forums like this who min max everything to the point of the product just not working anymore (NIssan Frontier, Audi Etron GT, etc)

1 Like

Why is it always the friends that really need to make better financial decisions are the same ones that say, yolo, money’s no object, let it ride, etc…then complain about money.

At least that what happens in my circle. Those are the same ones I’ve tried to introduce to simple bank bonus deals and get a blank look when I ask if $400 is worth an hour of time to do it.

6 Likes

Same, I have a nephew who’s all about the money and is willing to do options and stocks but fails because of terrible risk management. Meanwhile, asking him to churn bank bonuses and credit cards is too much work…

3 Likes

You are forgetting when they blame you for not ‘helping them’.

3 Likes