Why do dealers ask you what kind of car you drive?

I was wondering if anyone know what is the actual reason for that? I usually got this type of question when I visit luxury brand dealerships, but sometimes just from any dealerships…

I personally dont really want to tell them what I drive, so any suggestions how to handle that with the sales person?

I guess people who drive nissan versa (sorry nissan fans not intended) to the BMW dealership will be treated differently from who drive a Mercedes to there?

I am just curious to see what folk here thinks, welcome feedback from sales person as well.

It’s a context question. It’s for gauging interesting and intent. Are you here to get a test drive and jerk me around or are you here as a serious car buyer.

Assuming in some situations to see if you qualify for any incentives such as loyalty.

2 Likes

Mentioning the Versa and Nissan fans in the same sentence should be a crime. Secondly, is there such a thing as a Nissan “fan?”

5 Likes

I particularly enjoy showing up in my Volvo s90 and have them ask if they can get me into the new car for the same amount I’m paying now, if they can earn my business.

I always tell them yes, then what I’m paying on the s90. That quickly changes the conversation.

6 Likes

I went to drive a Tacoma about 6 months ago while seeing the crazy deals on here and having wanted a truck for quite a while.

The salesman came out with something like $700/mo with $1500 down on a 2019 Limited. I laughed and basically said there was no way I’d pay that much a month for a Tacoma.

He asked what kind of car I drove, so I told him “a 2018 Impreza”, to which he responded “well, we’re looking at a car that’s double the price so of course your payment is going to be this much higher”

I said “I’m not trying to be a jerk, but that isn’t how leases work”

He said “Well, you are kind of being a jerk”

6 Likes

forget to put GTR there… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s just random conversation starter most of the time, but I also feel most sales people expect you to come out of one car into something exactly similar. Oh you have a 7 passenger luxury SUV, you must want another.

As a salesman, I would only ever ask that question if someone comes to me not knowing which model they are looking for. It has nothing to do with qualification… it will be followed up with, “okay great, and what do you like about your current car, what don’t you like?” All of that is trying to figure out what I have that would be the best fit for them.

If someone comes up to me and says, “we want to look at a E-class.” I couldn’t care less what they drive now, lets go see an E-class!

1 Like

Seem empathetic. Positioning arguments as mentioned (this car is safer/faster, it costs more because the msrp is higher, etc). Part of some sales training.

Lots of ways. “Yeah I’m looking at an E Class and I drive a Hyundai now because I won it on a game show”. “My job has provided me with a driver for the past few years but I miss driving myself around.” “I had a BMW before this Accord but I gladly downsized when I bought the wife a cruise around the world for our anniversary”. “Oh that’s a rental car our second home is here.”

Basically sensational lies can be fun and send a “none of your business” signal. You can always say “I could always afford but was too cheap and now I’m not” - if you aren’t negotiating at the dealership nothing wrong with signaling “I can afford it”. When I first hit six figures I looked at a lot of luxury cars but my boss (who signed my invoices) drove a 10 year old Tercel, so I got a Mazda3 I was very happy with and didn’t send off signals that I was paid too much (I was there for 3 non-Luxury leases). I leased Fords and GTIs I could have written a check for. But I knew my credit and income can get me anything on the lot (I’m not shopping anywhere that isn’t the case), so if I wanted to go look at Porsches I can (even though I won’t). IDGAF what the salesperson thinks about the car I drove onTo the lot, because the good salespeople know that the person who looks like they rolled out of bed is as likely to buy the Range Rover as the person in a suit.

I don’t sell cars anymore but I would ask to get deeper into what they liked about the car and what they didn’t like. Most customers either come in not knowing what they want or having a general idea. To save everyone’s time a salesperson should be asking these questions to put Mr. Customer on the correct vehicle.

If someone says exactly what they want I will ask if they are trading anything in (so it can get appraised while doing a test-drive to save time) and what is drawing them to that specific vehicle. Some customers believe a specific vehicle/trim has a certain feature that it may not.

Generally speaking every dealership has a process the General Sales Manager has laid out. Some salespeople may ask because their boss tells them to.

2 Likes

You should have been like you started it…

“Four wheels and a seat”

In present day, winding up in a Nissan is rarely ones choice, but a result of poor life decisions.

8 Likes

That’s a good one. I will try and see how the sales react. Lol

Or, “it looks really hot.” Okay.

One time I was at the BMW dealership, I told the sales that I am interested in x3, would like to test drive one. He then ask me if I am only interested to test drive with no intention to buy from the dealer. Then he started ask me what kind car I drive and what other cars I tested drove. I told him I also plan to test drive a Tesla and he come back telling me, go test drive a Tesla first , then come back to here… I walked away.

Sounds like he’s primed to make #1 in the region. I mean a guy like that could really clean up!

6 Likes

They’re gauging what your budget is.

1 Like

Or someone mad he lost an up and didn’t want to waste his time when he could be playing solitaire.