Why arent leases cheaper now?

Or just one cartel (Amazon)… :hushed:

In this case it’s Auto Nation, Lithia, Penske, Sonic, and a few others. We’re still early in the business cycle for car dealerships, the franchise wars are just getting started.

1 Like

Berkshire Hathaway. :eyes:

2 Likes

Never bring a railroad to a gun fight

3 Likes

Wow! Some great feedback. This thread is on fire. Thanks

I periodically flip through this forum and I have yet to see one single person get a better deal on something other than an LT1 or a 4XE than I did in October

$419 (including tax in the one of the highest taxed states), no money down at all, got $7100 check back on a $47k+ SUV

What’s going on? Is it still that hard to negotiate? I’m surprised Aronchi doesn’t have great deals anymore…

Correct, we all made the decision for no more good deals.

13 Likes

Too much demand AND not enough supply.

If you are asking whether the markets have turned, no.

If you’re asking whether there were ANY “deals” (below MSRP and/or incentives), there were a handful, not always reproducible then, certainly not now.

4.15% is not “one of the highest”. Tax on the full selling price makes it so. Though it is lower than 9-10% on rental in other states.

You have a less than 1% lease with taxes rolled in and think you got a bad deal???

Rerun your numbers at msrp and see what your broker did for you.

I’ve worked with aronchi nothing but a pleasure to deal with

2 Likes

1% means nothing

You never did tell anyone what the deal you got in October was. You obfuscated the key piece: The value of your trade-in applied towards your lease.

For all anyone knows there have been plenty of better deals even this terrible market.

1 Like

You just posted this to tell/remind how good of a deal you got???

You also wrote they realized “they shouldnt have given that number” that means it is a one time mistake, not replicable.

I got the one pay lease MF on 36 month lease for my 4xe. It was probably a mistake by salesman but they honored it. I didnt even mention it on 4xe topic. Let alone open topics to brag about it every year. If it is not replicaple wont help anyone.

1 Like

Nah he/she posted this to troll Aronchi.

If given the choice between a $4xx Infiniti or a net positive profit on a 4xe, 392, TRX, Escalade, LT1 (should I keep going), it’s an easy decision every time.

I’d maybe start trying to get a higher trade in at a BMW dealer and see if there’s equity in the lease now and not wait. I’m doing that with my wife’s 330i we leased, rolling it into a purchase. You owe the taxes for the purchase which sucks but they will reimburse you on the unused taxes on the lease, albeit months later.

Do you actually have positive equity in that? One of the ways in which BMWs subsidized leases was to inflate the RV, and my vague memory is that most of the industry folks here have said that a 330i is unlikely to have any positive equity.

Depends how aggressive of a deal you got and how much you capitalized into the payment.

IME retail ready 3’s have been at least breaking even after a little over two years on lease generally, with 2020 M340i’s usually having a small amount of equity at least.

1 Like

I’m located in Michigan and am shopping for a midsized SUV. So far I’ve obtained lease quotes on a VW Tiguan, Jeep Grand Cherokee (EPP/Employee Chrysler Advantage Discount), Jeep Wranger, Ford Edge/Explorer, etc.

I’ve leased and purchased a lot of cars, in different situations, including European Delivery for BMWS, back in the good old days, with multiple security deposits etc.

Every single quote I’ve received is absurd. The MF is awful, no incentives and MSRP or a tiny discount.

I get it, manufacturers have pulled back all lease support, except for the odd case of a Wrangler 4xe with the tax break, etc…

I’m used to negotiating hard, but fair, and used to lease 3 series BMWs all day long for a song, waive acqs, buy rate MFs minus MSD discount etc.

Nowadays, zero negotiation, zero discussion, take it or leave it, from every single dealer I’ve contacted.

LaFontaine Imports; Golling CDJR; Bill Brown Ford, and on and on.

So…isn’t leasing dead right now? I mean, what’s the point? THe only “deals” I see are ultra low mileage, like 10k a year…

I see very few, if any, what I would call legitimate lease deals here…and most of the sales people are ignorant, don’t know or play dumb about MF, buy rates, waiving acq fees etc.

Who in their right mind would lease right now?

And why would automakers go back to the “old days” with full lots and huge discounts?

You’re gonna need a car, sooner or later, so if they can tolerate a bit less volume, they’re gonna hammer us on high prices/high profits forever.

Are there any reasonable lease deals to be had on a midsize SUV? (Frankly, I don’t think so, but I’d like someone to point out a midsize SUV lease for $450 or less a month 36/15k).

Or shall I just buy?

Thanks.

5 Likes

None unfortunately.
Most start around $600

And one problem is you only contact Dealers, try some brokers here.

2 Likes

The main benefit of leasing in the past was that manufacturers would subsidize lease residual values, so that the amount of actual depreciation incurred was greater than the sum of your lease payments.

This would often result in negative equity (unless you leased a Honda or something), and the only way to get out of a lease was to transfer it to somebody, provided you had a sufficiently compelling payment. But from a total cost of operation POV, it was cheaper to get a good lease deal. Less depreciation, and since the car at most would be three or so years old, less in maintenance and repairs.

Also in the past, with discounts and incentives factored into the mix, the small delta between net cap cost and residual value could result in really attractive low payments with a lease. Those discounts and incentives did not have as much of an impact on the monthly payment with conventional financing, as they’re amortized over a longer period.

Today, the conditions for leasing are less favorable. Lease payments are much closer to finance payments, and residuals are no longer inflated. That being said, there are still circumstances where it could make sense – subvented money factors, decent discounts with ordering, high residuals for certain models, etc. For some cars, it may still make sense to lease if depreciation is unknown or historically poor, and you’d rather have the captive lender take on the risk of depreciation.

12 Likes