Who has a black car?

My lease just ended on my black car. I had a membership at a local car wash that had touchless washes. It definitely didn’t look perfect, but running it through a few times a week kept it looking presentable. It never looked perfect, but, was sufficient for me.

NEVER take it through a wash with brushes, then you’ll have plenty of swirls to admire. If small scratches can be seen dedicate some time to hand wash, clay bar, polish, seal once or twice a year. Or, find detail service that will do paint correction.

2 Likes

Silver car is the way to go.

1 Like

Opinions are like excretory orifices: everybody has one.

I had a black SUV - it was fine except it was a lemon. I would lease another black vehicle but it’s never in my top 2 choices (maybe a black V60 T8 Polestar next time). Great color to wrap.

My sister has had who knows how many black/black SUVs - she loves them.

Tell your BIL everybody gets to be a virgin once and lease whatever you want.

The coldest take :cold_face:

1 Like

Black is a combination of all the colors so it is naturally the best color but technically is not a color. Most people don’t see that in the fine-print though.

3 Likes

I promised myself to never get a black car, but when it’s a :unicorn: all bets are off, hence I’m driving a black car, as long as you aren’t OCD it’s fine.

1 Like

I hate black cars because they look really bad dirty, and I just dont have the time to wash more than once a month. That being said, all my last 3 have been black because apparently that’s where the best deal was to be had…

True. And black is basically the BMW reference color: every model looks good in schwarz :black_large_square:

1 Like

Pretty much every car looks good in black. Especially BMWs.

2 Likes

I had a black car before and had some instances when random people were trying to open the back door because they thought I am their Uber. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

So to summarize, majority opinion is the car needs to be washed, frequently, in a special wash, or it’s real dirty. And even then, it is still tough.

But when it is clean, it is excellent.

That pretty much sums it up. Looks wonderful for a whole 15 minutes after you’ve spent 3 hours washing it before the tree sap, dust, pollen, etc start to attack it. Then it’s just meh until you have another day to wash it and start all over again.

6 Likes

Took it through brushes maybe 80% of total 10 washes and there were 0 swirls.

1 Like

There is always rain once in a while

That’s valid. Also, depending on where you live, weather is also something to consider. I liked having a black car, because in UT the summer is consistently sunny without rain, so keeping it clean wasn’t that hard. During winter, the roads are snowy and slushy, resulting in every car looking filthy.

If I lived somewhere that the weather is an inconsistent mix of sun and rain, I’d probably avoid a black car.

You’re a brave soul, old bear. Those brushes can be brutal.

Yeah, stopped going there lol
But NOT because of swirls

I would drink bleach before I got another black car.

Our current home had a black toilet(!) in it when we bought it. It looked like hell about five minutes after it was cleaned, and only got worse from there until it was cleaned again.

So having a black car is like having a black toilet. Except you can leave the toilet at home and close the door.

1 Like

You also shouldnt shit in your car. Just some advice.

Unless you’re one of Dirty Mike’s boyz.

4 Likes

Luck?

To @212hackr. Background: I’m totally OCPD about certain things. My last car was dark blue, and I swore I’d never got another dark-colored car. But local inventory on the VW Golf Sportwagen was low, so it was either black exterior/beige interior or white/black. I chose the former.

When I went to pick up the car, I made a passing comment about bird poop on the hood. The valet at the dealership immediately pulls out a (dirty) rag and starts SCRUBBING the spot before I could stop him and then, for good measure, wiped the ENTIRE HOOD after that. I nearly dropped dead.

My salesperson was a sweetheart and got them to detail the hood (which introduced other defects, but whatever).

I used to do the two-bucket method for washing, but that was a PITA. I take it to a self wash place (and only at dusk/night, unless truly desperate for a wash). Pre-soak w/ soap water and wash the wheels/tires while waiting. Then rinse (and rinse off the brush attachment), repeat the pre-soak. Drop foam soap from the brush BEFORE using the brush and make sure that my time doesn’t run out while using the brush. And I only brsh VERY, VERY lightly, and only over the dirtiest parts of the car. Then rinse, use the air-dry gun, and I’m off.

It’s so painful. And it’s so F*CKING hot in the car during the summer.

I won’t do black again unless I have no other choice.