Which Japanese Performance Car Should Be Revived Next?

That is what i am talking about.

Yup, the reason why people loved them.

The Datsun 2000 Roadster might be a candidate for a revival…

Only if i can have those retro looks

1 Like

That’s right, let’s revive the 80s/90s completely, 3000gt, 300z and a Supra on a high end, and Celica, 240sx, Eclipse on the low end. Do we think FCA can bring Eagle back just to release Talon, I mean it was an Eclipse so qualifies for the thread. Except Nissan and Toyota already f-ed up their versions, Eclipse is now a god forsaken abomination, so I guess all hope lies with Mitsubishi 3000gt. Let’s have an all electric 3000gt, in the old body, don’t even modernize it, just bring that thing back the way it was just shove a giant battery in it and 3 motors!

acura integra

1 Like

2023 Acura Integra - Off-Ramp - FORUM | LEASEHACKR

Honda Prelude. Though if Honda rebooted it they’d probably make it auto-only hybrid or EV. Or even worse, bring the nameplate back on a sporty SUV.

1 Like

I am guessing you’re kidding lol

The 4th gen Supra was not really all that popular in its time and died a relatively quiet, unmourned death. It had less sports car qualities (handling, balance, steering, etc) than its sportier contemporaries like the RX7. And it was overpriced at $80,000 in inflation-adjusted dollars.

It was tunable and good in a straight line, though. Which led it to becoming popular with people wanting to take it to a drag strip. Producers of a B-flick noticed … and the rest is history.

2 Likes

Chronological events: Guy walks into a Toyota dealer in 1995 and buys this Supra cause it looks cool, it’s RWD and has 300hp. Drives it sparingly. Fast and Furious movie comes out and everyone thinks Supras all run 10’s from the factory. Posts it up for sale in the year 2021. Someone with more money than sense sees the auction. Bids to $200k. LOL. Nice. There’s a butt for every seat! All jokes aside, this should be a $70-80k car. But alas (as others pointed out) if someone is willing to pull $200k out of their bank for a vintage Supra, then God bless him. I guess? LOL.

2 Likes

I remembered wanting a 1993 Supra, MSRP was $40k but it was like $8000 off. But then again only the turbo goes up in value. So the guy put 7000 miles on a 1995 turbo, I wondered when exactly those cars become a collector item, first F&F came out 2001.

Certain movies undoubtedly brought some demand, but it doesn’t seem that the Supra faired too horribly even previous to that… Granted, these are the earlier years as I believe the 4th gen was released in '93.

1993-
Supra sales: 2,819 units
RX-7 sales: 5,062

1994-
Supra sales: 3,488 units
RX-7 sales: 2,210

1995-
Supra sales: 2,347 units
RX-7 sales: 1,399

1 Like

Garage queens often bring absurd prices which I’ve never understood, being a person who only wants to drive their cars & not worry about adding 10, 20 or 40 K miles.

Thats not even the worst example. Look up the Ford Maverick sold on BAT.

1 Like

Both Supra and RX7 definitely priced themselves out if the market at that time.

Are you referring to this old girl? Not bad, very interesting body lines on the side.

For the era, as far as aesthetics, I would’ve put the 3000GT well above them all. I remember the first one that I had seen on the road…bright red, big chrome wheels, huge spoiler, surroof… the thing looked like a damn Ferrari. I don’t recall the MSRP but they were a discount for what you received IMO, other than it was a Mitsubishi. :laughing:

I can respect the RX-7 for what it is, but its never really been a favorite of mine. Reminds me too much of a Miata, just not my thing. I’ve never really cared for any of the Mazda’s, now that I think of it. The RX-8, perhaps, but the rotary motors were garbage.

YES.

I also think a “true” successor to the first Lexus SC would be great. I know it’s not a performance car, per se, but Japan used to make a couple of cool grand-touring coupes (anyone remember the JDM Cosmos? Heck, I might even include the SUbaru SVX…), and it’d make for a nice change among all the SUVs. And, yes, I get that no one would buy them.

1 Like

Around 40k I think. My friend had a 911 in Hong Kong and a lot of 3000GT wanted to race him, they were like $90k US over there (with 100% duty), maybe because of Jackie Chan :sweat_smile:

I say S2000 and the 240SX

Agreed, however I do see the LC as the successor in everything but name. Granted no I6/manual, but I give up hopes of that ever coming back.

1 Like