Which cars have the best safety features for bad/old drivers?

Lots of very knowledgeable people here about cars, so would appreciate some input. For someone older and not so great at driving anymore, what small SUVs/crossovers have the best safety features. I know the preference would be for them not to drive at all, but if they refuse to give up driving, I’d at least want them to be as safe as possible.

I know Subaru has eyesight that includes blind spot detection, rear cross-traffic alert, pre-collision braking, lane departure warning, and lane keep assist. All those features would be great to have.

Anything else you guys can recommend?

A loaded Volvo XC60 would probably be the best overall

3 Likes

Subarus with eyesight. Nothing else :grin:

2 Likes

Here’s the answer you want to hear: Tesla with auto-pilot.

2 Likes

Older person will be looking for gauges in front of him. So, no :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I was referring to the Model S or X, which does have gauges in front.

Ng0 is looking for an older person, so why would I recommend the Model 3? The person would probably pass away before the Model 3 is delivered to him/her. :wink:

1 Like

I’d say a Camry or Corolla now that they both have Safety Sense included. Nice dull steering, not fun to drive, not too big, not too fast. Reliable enough to last nearly forever. For the elderly, push button start can be an issue and it’s still possible to get both of these without it

1 Like

I think only about Model 3 in the same sentence with @ng0 :roll_eyes:

Thanks all! Great recommendations! I think Camry or Corolla is out cause he wants an SUV/crossover (easier for him to get in and out). And no I wasn’t looking for a Tesla answer in this case. LoL. He can’t afford a Model X so that’s out. You guys are funny though :slight_smile:

You already know the answer, just go for it already. Outback (or Forester) is perfect. Good size, safety, cheap maintenance and insurance.

2 Likes

I think you should start with price point because there is a lot depending on how much you want to pay

Which Cars Have the Best Safety Features for Bad/Old Drivers ?

Well I keep getting older everyday and my wife tells me (regularly) how bad my driving is.

So based on that I would like to recommend a Hummer for people that are looking for a safe vehicle for them. Oh sure you’ll probably kill and injure dozens of others but you will probably be safe in any collision.

3 Likes

hahahahahahaha :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: This was exactly my line of thinking! Best post I’ve read all day.

I guess price point would 300-350/month. Maybe slightly more for the right car. But yea, I think @Ursus is right, I think Outback/Forester is the right choice for them. I guess I just figured I’d reach out and see if there were any better options.

Go for the outback not the forester. Acura RDX may not be a bad option either

1 Like

What’s wrong with the Forester? I personally hate the look of it, but other than that what’s wrong with it?

the outback is safer according to iihs. Something about passenger safety. TSP vs TSP+. Just if you were in between the two.

1 Like

ah gotcha, thanks for the heads up! I actually had read somewhere that the forester was better because of the larger viewing area through the windshield, but it didn’t say anything about safety ratings. That’s good to hear though, cause I hate the look of the Forester.

They are both top rated TSP+, which referr to “equipped with eyesight”. Forester has better views, cargo and sits taller.
@ng0 - they are both ugly, you can’t go wrong with either :grin:

1 Like

No for 2018 the Outback has the + and the Forester doesn’t. This is over the Forester’s mediocre performance in passenger small overlap tests. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/TSP-List

1 Like