Where is the best place to purchase a used car?

Hi,

Anyone know which site is the best to find a used car with the best prices? is carvana or vroom the choice? or facebook marketplace? or local dealer website?

please advise. looking for a used tundra

thank you

Right now used car market is on fire. Hold off on purchases for a bit IMO.
:chocolate_bar:

1 Like

What do you mean used car market is on fire? Is it like the housing market. Rental market is crazy? hold off on purchase until when? please advise…

I can’t tell you when anything firm is going to happen, but honestly, @Cody_Carter see what he can do.

Yes used car prices are higher than normal.

:chocolate_bar:

Thats crazy!!! i would thought that it should be cheaper… Maybe purchase a new car :slight_smile:

I’ve been curious about this too. Even if this isn’t the right time to buy, where is the best place? Say one is looking for a newer car under 30,000 miles.

Carvana for sure

If you are particular about which model, trim, colors, options, etc., the best place to buy a used car is the place that has the car you want.

Separately:

3 Likes

No one has a crystal ball so we cannot really comment accurately on how or for how long the used car market is going to be as high as it is. Realistically, I think it’ll continue to go up, but I’m no psychic.

I would advise you different routes based on the make/model of vehicle you’re looking for. Do you have anything particular in mind?

If you’re looking at a truck or 4x4 with under 30k just buy new in this current market.

2 Likes

Maybe go to swapalease or lease trader and pick up a tundra near its end. Then get it for residual

2 Likes

There is no one best place to shop used cars for the best deals. Autotrader, Cars.com, Carvana/Vroom, etc. are all tools you should use to canvas inventory and get an idea of the market.

And as mentioned, shopping for a lightly used Toyota you really need to do the used vs. new analysis ad oftentimes there’s not much difference in $$.

Looking for something fun in the 20k range which looks to be a mini and??? I can borrow a work van so I don’t need anything like a truck. Last lease was a civic and it wasn’t fun. x2 currently,might be fun but too concerned about mileage to just take it for an 8 hour drive.

Even in the past year I’ve driven 17-18k. I have 8k left on my 45k lease with 9 months to go. I actively limit my trips too. When things open up I’ll be going out a lot more.

While starting to research Carvana and Vroom and Shift seem to be the most expensive, which seems to make sense since they pay the most. All the low mileage cars seem to be at dealers. In my mind this makes sense, since they are most likely leases that came back and the dealer bought or went to auction where only dealers purchase. Logic could be flawed but that’s what goes on in my head.

Just want to make sure there is a place I’m missing. I still think Craigslist with classifieds not Facebook or let’s go even though that’s where a lot of people seem to have moved to.

The current used values on those are completely irrational. You’re better off just seeing what Cody can do on a new one.

2 Likes

Maybe hang around a senior center or funeral home or something.

Anybody below the age of 70 who can use the internet knows used car prices are absurd … you’re not going to find anything online.

4 Likes

yeah… i’m still researching as to what is the best thing to do. Currently I have a tacoma lease and its not up until 2 more year. I called the the bank who finance the car, its Credit Union and the contract stated, they do not allow transfer of lease. So I’m stuck with them.

I’m thinkin either buy a new tundra or a used one. How do Toyota Tundra hold its valve? is it pretty good? or should I look into some other truck? this truck will mainly for towing my travel trailer.

thank you

Unless you don’t really care about getting a decent deal, stay out of the used market. I am kicking myself for taking so long to pick a tow vehicle because I was initially looking at the used market with a 25k-ish budget. You’re not getting anything under 80-100k miles and 4-5 years old for that now, and that’s probably talking base model stuff. The pandemic did the exact opposite to the used market than what I expected, most likely because of the big halt in new production.

maybe… I mean I saw a tundra that is 2019 with 15K miles for around $40K.
that seem a bit high right?

Absolutely. For a base SR5.

No that’s a great deal. For a fully loaded TRD Pro.

yup - I expected it to tank too. This is going to drag on for a while now especially with the chip shortage.