Where do you invest your money?

Anyone catch this Russia bounce this am? I’m up like 25%. Lost a ton yesterday but doubled down premarket on rsx. Blood in the streets…I just cashed out but this is going to be a good play for traders for the foreseeable future if you like high risk high reward money.

Anyone have any individual Russian stocks that are undervalued here to recommend? I don’t follow that market that’s why I’m playing etfs. Once their market opens it’s going to be insane.

1 Like

Just closed my $rivn puts. Ima buy a 330ix and have a RIVIAN license plate.

4 Likes

Good stuff! I closed a bit early but I know to lock in profits often. Can’t ride them all to the bottom! Was way overvalued. Can’t believe people were buying at $140 lol

1 Like

I think it’s worth pointing out how great the risk is. If this resolved by the weekend, no doubt things will bounce.

A few data points:

Russia’s economy in general

Or better said:

The EU restricting airspace has grounded nearly all Russian commercial flights. More than half the planes are leased in Irish holding companies, most of those have already been called-in.

For the Boeing and Airbus planes, even if owned:

• they immediately lost access to all repair manuals and ability to purchase parts
  • most airlines keep about 3 days parts on-hand.

Don’t think of it like buying oil when they paid you to take it, you are buying GM stock the week before bankruptcy, uncertain if you’ll be wiped out or not.

Plenty of other smarter plays in this uncertainty.

Edit: and their exchange is now closed

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/moscow-exchange-wont-resume-stock-trading-thursday-cbank-2022-03-02/

Poor market makers, with no market to make.

2 Likes

Made 30% this am on rsx. I may continue to just trade etfs but when/if the market reopens there will be some undervalued stocks that likely won’t go out of business. I have no problem throwing $20k into a few for a chance at 5-10x return, maybe more in a year or so. Risk/reward makes sense and I did it before in other countries during war times or currency collapses.

I can gamble throwing 20k into the us market and wide up with less then 5k in a month, many tech stocks dropped that much so far this year. The whole market is a gamble at these valuations, but this is an opportunity.

Sold a significant chunk of SPY back in late December near the peak (retirement accounts so no tax burden), split that dry powder up today and bought back-in along with a couple financials that have been beat up.

In my cash accounts:

• I bought Alaska and Southwest in late March of 2020, they’ve been higher since but sold both today at 60%+
  • A couple names I had smaller positions in that got lumped/nuked as hypergrowth I captured the loss and did some consolidation (kept my Zoom IPO tranche but dumped a later tranche that is down, Uber which I bought at a good price is still down/stagnant so I decided to wash-sale / revisit in 31 days, dropped Chewy off at the pound)
  • Amazon is having a prime sale on their stock, added some more of that along with CRM (which I have historically timed 100% wrong but the Slack acquisition and selling on that news washed all my CRM losses and then-some)

Mostly a rebalance of the non-retirement, and several limit orders that increasingly add to 2 different funds if/as the market drops.

2 Likes

Well timed. I’m starting to wish I’d sold off a bunch of tech and thrown it into the indexes. It’s been rough watching all those gains disappear. At least I’m killing it in the gold department right now :laughing:

I’m not buying much right now outside of the usual biweekly reloads. Really hoping to see SPX dip closer to 4,000 before throwing more chips in.

I did just buy a Hisense 75U6G though. Dipped back to $800 again today. Been toying with the idea of getting a TV for the office and have had my eye on that bad boy for a while. RTings review too good to pass up.

1 Like

I’ve actually been looking at selling some of the gold I bought at much lower levels. Platinum has been flat, don’t talk to me about silver.

Photos of the Hisense?

I have been holding since the big dip in early 2016. Missed the opportunity to sell last year (I sold calls on the way up and by the time they executed, it had dipped back down). So I’m really trying to not miss the boat this time around. If GDX goes above $40 in the coming weeks, I’m selling everything (except a couple of May calls I sold this week).

I scheduled the Hisense to arrive next weekend. I’ve never bought a non-LG TV before, but the reviews on this thing are so stinkin’ good that I have to try it out. Too much going on to receive it this weekend, so I’ll get some pics once she’s up on the wall next weekend.

1 Like

Can’t wait to hear how you like it. My 65” Sony had similar footsies that wouldn’t fit on my TV stand, but a VESA stand with a center pedestal solved that problem.

I’m hoping it’s a good unit since I’ve read that their quality control can be a little poor (but you’ll know right out of the box). I’ve got a spare mount that I bought last year that I’ll throw up on the wall and I’m gonna throw the legs out.

1 Like

I put that model on the back porch in September… good stuff for the price.

2 Likes

What I want to know is, did you quit stacking after those 4?

That said, if it hits $50k again I think I’ll de-risk a little bit haha.

Everything is in commodities. Mostly oil

Another negative opening on the horizon and only going to get worse. Markets could easily crater 50% by end of 2022, I know most dont believe it, but it’s definitely coming if these situations at hand continue to unwind even more significantly. I keep saying that these differences can be over this second to stop the escalating geopolitical tensions, but as you can see it’s nothing but talks because any wrong motions and ww3 comes and thay in itself will create worldwide tensions and a depression. So everyone is easing back and just watching Russia do its things.
Oil prices will remain high and will continue to surge the longer these events unfold. Oil could double and triple from here causing ultimate inflation across the world with central governments not being able to do much. The fed has lost all control of interest rates and any rise in rates now will only advance a further deeper correction and recession. That’s what you get when you wait to raise rates and keep pumping the economy with unlimited amounts of greenbacks!!!

Get ready for new yearly lows in the days ahead and continous new lows into 2022

OK so GDX broke $40. I might give it til end of week to see whether I feel inclined to liquidate or sell $45/$50 calls. This is nutty.

2 Likes

My only stock holding that is even remotely close to green is EVGO. Everything else is -30 to -70%. But EVGO been pumping the last couple days! I’m actually net positive now.

Metals will shine for the next 2 years I think. No reason to sell…might want to move out of miners to a physical etf. I like ounz bc it’s cheap to take delivery should you want to.

I still think silver is grossly undervalued so might also want to divest into some of the poor mans gold.

$RIVN guided to FY’22 production of 25K (vs 40K expected).
RIVN has produced just 1,410 vehicles YTD 2022 through 3/8, well below WS 1Q ests of 4,000

Expected CapEx (that most delicious corporate crack I’ve been high on before) expenditure of $2.6B this year. If that sounds good to you, read about Peloton’s meltdown

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2022-03-10/peloton-stock-drop-puts-bike-brand-on-path-to-nowhere

Rivian has quite a rock to push up a steep hill. I’m rooting for them, I’m not dumb enough to bet on them.

1 Like