Have we hit peak Federal interest rates?

Wells Fargo loans in it’s retail origination pipeline in the early weeks of the fourth quarter are down 90% YOY.

4 Likes

Once the layoffs come then the real fun starts. That’ll be one of the catalysts to kick off the shitstorm most likely. Most companies can’t handle 8-10% rates and have a viable business. Especially in this inflationary environment. Can only increase the prices of goods and services so much. People are already cutting discretionary spending.

Shutting down the economy was not the only thing to do. We should have locked up the elderly that wanted to be locked up, the rest of us had such a minimal chance of complications from corona virus. Global Lock downs were 100% the wrong call. Their science has been proving more and more wrong, and in the coming years it’ll be even more so

4 Likes

We should “all just forgive each other” or however else it was put in Washington Post about mistakes make during COVID.

6 Likes

I’m holding reservations on that but my ear to the ground says the answer from most is going to be a resounding NO when it comes to the subject of Amnesty for those who treated others like second class citizens and relentlessly hectored and mocked over a personal medical decision.

Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just calling it as I see it.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this, but maybe I am missing something. Why would people sit on cash in a zero rate environment? Now that money markets, cd’s, and treasurys can be had at 4+ percent and climbing is probably when people are going to be sitting on cash more.

1 Like

They had the foresight to rotate some money out of equities during the fever (especially the cats-and-dogs of travel they bought during that dip), and knew those insane P/E multiples would not last.

They = @jeisensc

They =/ @spockvr6

hahahahahaa🤪

4 Likes

I’m long metals, then I will probably rotate into real estate.

People have been calling tops here/everywhere for the last year. doesnt take a genius to figure that out…. Only pigs let it ride. Sorry if you were a pig. Live and learn

I held commodities. My equities have been long sold besides in my retirement accounts which were heavy high divi large cap stocks. I’ve seen this all before. Lost money then. Not going to allow that to happen again.

1 Like

I was a reverse pig…sold it all too early (mid 2021).

I bought back in later that year and have held since (but its all index fund type stuff as I dont speculate). Over the long haul I know (and statistics show) no one can time the market so I dont even try (aka I just DCA over time as I did before I got antsy and sold out). Missing just a few of the “big days” can make a massive difference down the line. Its usually (statistically) alot worse than what happens to pigs (which DCA is to some degree, in my mind at least).

At my age, that DCA strategy will prob need to change in the next 5ish years though.

1 Like

But this was when rates were starting to go up and the writing was on the wall that we have reached peak insanity.

I don’t feel like many were sitting on cash for the last 5 years. There was no reason to, you were losing money by sitting on cash.

If the feds real goal is to get to 2% inflation by killing the economy, and you can currently make 4% or so sitting on cash with no real risk. This is when big money is just not going to move until we are in a deep recession.

I saw an analogy that said we were all kidnapped and put on a deserted island - everyone was starving so one group decided they wanted to kill/eat the others but before they could do it everyone was rescued and on the ride home they were like “wow that was crazy right, but now everything’s good”

Sorry, cannot forget people that were clamoring to fire people for a vaxx and all the other crazy stuff. These people are the ones that would send you to the gulags in 1950s. And it was never tested if prevented transmission. I mean I took it, but the zest they went after common people such as nurses and first responders was incomprehensible to me.

5 Likes

Tinfoil hat on…when $10 billion is spent on r&d/development, hundreds of millions of dollars are spent constructing production facilities, and some of the greatest fear mongering of a lifetime is instilled on gen pop it would be bad ROI to let the party stop.

Make sure you get your yearly boosters everyone.

3 Likes

It’s a common assumption that if you don’t get the disease you can’t spread it.

And so with Alpha it came to pass…

It was only when it mutated that significant transmission benefits from the vaccine faded with wider protection (although still a benefit)

1 Like

Yes you pointing out what conspiracists stated. It will mutate and weaker variants will come. And no natural immunity allowed? Common man. Still my comment stands on mandates. It was bonkers that half the population and all political establishment went along for it. That should worry you that pretty much niether side in congress made a stink about it.

I expect the fed to turn dovish. However, if the useless GOP wins the house we could see more increases because markets should stabilize as they are seen more pro business.

2 Likes

It wasn’t conspiracists that stated that.

Again like the assumption that the vaccine would help with reducing transmission (which it did), the assumption was that it would always mutate to be less deadly, it’s just simple science

It was the meantime that was important and given the fact the first big mutation was so much more transmissible AND still so deadly, many are very, very lucky it was developed and rolled out so widely.

The data suggests that without the vax we’d be looking at 4-5x as many dead before Omicron finally turned up.

I can see the argument against still vaxing the not at risk now. The argument against it and encouraging all to have it in the first place? No chance, unless you think any savings are worth 4 millions lives in the US alone

Friends, please keep the chatter on topic. Interest rates :slight_smile:

3 Likes

7 Likes

2 Likes