Wheel & Tire Hackr

Just went through this ordering Michelin All Seasons for our Y performance. We put together a package through Tirebuyer.com including their “INSTALL15” coupon code. I printed that out, I took it to discount tire and they matched the price including the discount and ordered the tires for me. Saved $250.

1 Like

Did you get the 10.5% back from TopCashback also?

EDIT, sorry. Re-read your post, and it looks like you price-matched at DT. :frowning:

But all that watered-down, stale and burnt coffee you’re missing…

2 Likes

what’s wrong with nitrogen?

we use costco. free rotation and balance and good warranty support for the most part.

1 Like

Nothing! It is a nice perk, something that is sorta unique among tire shops, worth pointing out.

yes i thought so but i read your post as you meaning it was a negative. my fault.

1 Like

Costco can be a very good deal for people getting premium tires.

New tires on front, rotate best 2 to back.

You’ve got a lot of good advice here, I have a local tire shop who’s service is outstanding and they are only a few bucks more than anything I’ve price shopped. I wouldn’t spend 20 or 30 bucks more per tire, but I’d see if anyone local has a deal/suggestion for 2 tires that you might have missed.

No I didn’t for two reasons:
(1) I’ve heard horror stories about actually making sure tires are delivered and installed from Tirebuyer.

(2) I prefer using Discount Tire because they’re around the corner and give me great service.

Actually, no. When buying only two new tires, they always go on the rear axle.

The best of the older tires go up front.

1 Like

On a fwd? :grimacing:

On any drivetrain.

Rear axle needs the most traction.

1 Like

Actually, I think it’s Cali law…'least that’s how it was explained to me at Costco when I bought a pair of tires for a work truck.

Yup, usually they have a rebate and install deal of some kind going on. Only downside is they absolutely will not install tires which aren’t OEM spec

I like Discount Tire a lot also, but I would have risked TireBuyer to save another $175.

I get it, though.

My thinking as well. But has to do with safety, safer to hydroplane from the front than rear, under steer vs. over steer.

Lived in England in the late 2000s and was baffled they don’t and won’t rotate tires. Took my company car in for service the first time and was told they just replace the fronts when they’re worn, the backs never needed replaced, fwd Passat diesel.

I always thought the same as you did on a FWD, until the tire manager at Firestone explained it to me once when I inquired about the poster in the lobby indicating what Max said.

Thinking back to my dirt poor high school days, it makes sense in the snow at least. I had some pretty bald tires on my rear axle once, and every time I made a 90 degree turn, my ass end fishtailed out. I finally got tired of changing my underwear and asked daddy for a loan to get me new ones. Then he found out how bad my tires actually were and reamed me out pretty good for being so irresponsible.

Here I thought I was being responsible by not asking him for the money. Go figure.

1 Like

How bad or good are Pirelli’s? Does the thread wear out as fast as people claim?

Which Pirelli? Good or bad at … what? Dry Grip? Snow grip? Longevity? Noise & comfort?

1 Like

I got ~9,000 miles on the rears (P Zero RFs) on my RWD BMW.

Biggest issue there was the driver.

The fronts should go at least 2x as long, possibly 3x.