Wheel & Tire Hackr

Just looked inside the driver side door on the sticker, it states 225/50/R18 XL - if I get SL will lease turn in make me buy 4 new tires is the question… I think the 99V to 95V is probably fine, but the XL to SL might be an issue? Do they check and validate this stuff?

Same rating or higher or expect to get dinged

Same with going to standard load when the tire needs to be XL

1 Like

Just get some used rft from ebay they are super cheap and have a tire shop mount them super easy. I did it a few months ago.

Depends on how much tread they have left. With winter coming up you want to have as much tread on those all-seasons as possible

Especially considering new tires are sometimes a better value (I posted 18” X3-sized RFT set of 4 for $350 a couple weeks back) … that price includes road hazard and shipping

I think these should fit most 3 series. Excellent tires if you want to take the run flats off and enjoy the car

3 Likes

Just curious if anyone has used AAA sponsored wheel and tire and their feedback on it.

This thread is not meant to be a discussion of if you like wheel and tire or not. It’s just about the above.

I got a quote of just over $1500 for 3 years on a 21 m550.
No deductible/unlimited claims

1 Like

Woops thank you @max_g !

We can prob close this one.

I ended up PMing @M3-Fast

Thx!

Nah, merging because it’s still useful info for people who choose rim insurance

4 Likes

Fwiw, I did end up purchasing through AAA and thankfully have not had to use the insurance as of yet. So while I don’t have first hand insight as to the claims process and Smart Autocare’s track record for approval, I do know that my local dealer, Rallye, has been using them for years. I would imagine, though I could be wrong, that they are having a decent enough experience with them to warrant their partnership given the volume of claims here in NY, especially through a large dealer like Rallye.

Tirerack wheel and tire prices include “free shipping,” ie its included in the price.

Depending on where you live, selecting warehouse pickup will not only get you the pickup discount ($80) but it will also save you on sales tax

That’s close to $200 in combined savings on a typical wheel & tire package.

You’ll drive to DE from NY to save $200 minus probably $60 in tolls?

1 Like

I was going to South NJ anyway… the DE location is very close to there and the additional toll for the extra distance (basically one bridge) is sub $10

Again this is only a “hack” depending on where you are.

YMMV.

1 Like

Hi Hackrs!
I have a 2018 BMW 330 xi drive; returning in april 2022 (will hope to extend given current market). I have read previous posts regarding this and using tireracks to find replacement for my runflats (should of never used them). Just had my oil changed and car is only at 25k miles and tires are at 3/32; I read over my lease contract and attached the paragraph regarding this and wanted to confirm my understanding that it states : no less than 1/8" . This roughly translates to 3mm?
So basically I am exactly at that point and any further use I would need to replace. Correct?
-So better take them off ASAP (lol!)!

No, you’re already past that point. 1/8 = 4/32, measured in inches.

You’re also past any meaningful snow traction on all-season tires so you’d be a liability to yourself as well as any innocent bystanders.

2 Likes

Thank you for responding! Will definitely be replacing them ASAP for safety purposes of myself and others! Just was wondering for returning purposes is all. Will try to buy used run flats and put them away for purposes of returning and get something to use ASAP! Thank you!!!

I bought some 9/32 run flats for my x3 for like 400 on eBay.

1 Like

Thank you! I was looking at some of the descriptions under the ebay sellers and it states ‘may have been professionally repaired’ and list them at 6/32. not sure how legitimate that is (lol) but have a 60 day return warranty. Will probably buy closer to lease return date I assume just incase they aren’t exactly what stated.

Utires.com and request no plugs. Dirt cheap and good customer service.

2 Likes