Wheel & Tire Hackr

Black wheels are a deal killer for me, and there isn’t much CPO 911 coupe (992 or possibly 991.2) inventory to choose from, so I was trying to see if there was some reasonable workaround if I found something I liked that has this one tragic defect.

(Buying another set of wheels and swapping/storing isn’t reasonable in my world.)

For example, this looks like fun, but with these wheels I wouldn’t drive it in the dark to a cock fight.

It’s sounding like I should just look harder and longer for a car with wheels I can stomach. :slight_smile:

The kits i’ve bought from DYC have been high quality and if you really take your time and follow instructions you’ll get a good product

Go full ghettoboy and dip them white :joy:

1 Like

Given the price range you are shopping in for a 991.2 or a 992, why not just consider budgeting for a different set of Porsche factory wheels and then resell the black wheels you don’t like? If you follow the PCA Mart, Rennlist, eBay, or even Suncoast Porsche (from time to time they have a clearance on various wheel sets) there are always good reasonably priced options available at way less than the dealership cost. And then you can turn around and sell your takeoffs and cover a large majority or all of what it cost you to replace them.

You can even find full sets for wide bodies like the GTS you posted above, although the standard narrow body wheel sets are a bit more plentiful. I was able to find a great set of Carrera Sport wheels for my 991.2 4S to swap out in place of my satin black RS Spyder wheels (in my case just to have a seasonal swap set). But if I wanted to sell the RS Spyder wheels, I feel pretty confident that I would have broken even or very nearly so on the swap based on what I was able to buy the used set of Carrera Sports for.

2 Likes

What happened to the elusive Panamera! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wasn’t a fan of black rims for the longest time, but they have grown on me. I think they can look good on the right vehicle, like that 911. I would be more hesitant with the paint color, in that instance. I do hate the maintenance of black though. One of my cars now has satin black rims and they become dirty around the same time the overhead door closes.

2 Likes

What you just described is entirely reasonable, but it’s just way beyond the time and effort and research and advertising and packing and shipping and other logistics than I’m willing to put in

I had a pair of bumper plugs for my current vehicle sitting here for 9 months before I gave up on myself and begged the servicing dealer to put them in for me because I couldn’t find a drill (the existing holes were just a tad too small). :slight_smile:

I was hoping to find an option here at a reasonable cost where I could leave the car for a day or two and pick it up de-uglified and all ready to go.

I make car decisions in slow motion and have no practical requirements or meaningful constraints in a vehicle, so every purchase decision is preceded by a series of zigs and zags.

While we each pick our own cars and it’s worked well for us, I am on the receiving end of some lobbying for a 911 so that’s the path I’m pursuing now.

Not sure if this is where I’ll end up, though. I haven’t driven one since the 2014 that I really didn’t like, but that was mostly because the inside was so dated and it was a chore to drive around town.

2 Likes

What will set you free is not worrying about reversibility or what the next owner likes.

Change the color of the wheels without a second thought.

3 Likes

As long as the new color isn’t white, which it won’t be.

Now we can’t have Porsche’s nor rims in white!? :disappointed::pleading_face:

I guess taters gonna tate. :potato:

1 Like

It’s really no different than painting walls in one’s house or turning a den into a nursery and then into a home office.

These are just cosmetics. Do your own thing. Don’t worry about the next guy or gal, they’ll do their own thing too.

Same answer?

2 Likes

My friend got a 997 GT3 RS. Grey with red wheels. I thought the wheels were outrageous. Then car value shot up $85k in the 1.5 years he’s owned it. Now the wheels have never looked better

:rofl:
Sick Napoleon Dynamite GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

3 Likes

Clearly off-white is the way to go

Speaking of Panamera wheels, I’m struggling like hell to find some Pilot Sport 4Ss in my size. I got a sidewall bubble on my front right that’s got me worried.

I’m sure you’ve all been terribly concerned, so here’s an update.

I figured this out the week before I got rid of the car…

The recommended values from iDrive change as the temperature of the air inside the tires changes.

I noticed this when I was adding air and the damn car kept moving the goalpost. :smiley:

1 Like

Hoping to get some advice here as I didn’t want to open a new thread. I need to replace the tires on my M550i. (245/35R20 Fronts, 275/30/R20 Rears). The vehicle came with Goodyear Eagle F1s which have been more than decent for me. Currently at 23k miles and road grip and wet traction is still strong but they have become very noisy.
Should I just replace with the same or try another brand anyone here recommends which they have used on their 5 series ?

Skip RFT if possible.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Super Sports

3 Likes

Is price the specific reason?
My lease ends next year. Not sure where things are by then but I love the car and may end up buying it out to keep in which case Non RFTs could work. I have used the RFT on one occasion in last 2 years and came in very handy on the FL turnpike during rush hour. Crazy thing is that a coworker and I were talking about skipping RFTs on our next tire replacements as we both never had any flats and the price difference was pretty high and this happened :joy: