What would you buy for $10k?

I’d just park and go inside.

3 Likes

I always felt shifting was the easier part, it’s the damn turn signal and wiper stalks :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I need to buy a car by Sunday. My M440i xDrive is lease transferred and that’s when they are picking it up. My 2023 M4 Comp xDrive won’t be here till 2nd week of Dec. Its been dispatched to port.

Let me say this… I haven’t bought a car 10K or under in 20+ years. I live in the tri-state - all the junk on craigslist and even worse, FB marketplace is appalling . Literally people write - RUN GOOD. DRIVE NICE . and that is their ‘ad’. Also, these are wanna be car dealers. They buy and sell junk to make a few hundred bucks or 1k. They even lie - they say selling my blah blah blah, and say personal car. Yet the car in photos has no plates or inspection. Then, when you click on sellers profile (not sure how many pple do this), you can see about 5-20 more cars there. It isn’t their car, they are flipping or a dealer trying to get away as a private seller. You ask, how are tires, and brakes - approx tread and life? Surely they know if they are flipping the car because they need to be knowledgeable on what they are buying, their reply: CAR GOOD.

I know its only 6-7-8-9K… but based on the condition of these cars, you are one drive away from a repair bill for half the cost now you’re looking at money spent you can get something better for. I can’t stand this, didn’t realize it was this bad. Also, on another note, made me realize these people also vote (well some of them), so now I am not surprised as how some people get ELECTED!

5 Likes

I was in the same situation and ended up leasing a Nissan Frontier for $261 per month for 18 months and I’m happy I did.

2 Likes

Thinking about doing the same with a Murano… I think a payment is around $285 a month based on a 5% discount, 95% residual for 18/10.

Glad I wasn’t the only one going through this and thinking its the twilight zone or Gotham.

I bought a 2015 Nissan Leaf for $10k earlier this year. I needed a cheaper car for my son to use while learning how to drive. Aside from the limited 75 mile range, it is surprisingly quick (below 50 mph) and fun to drive.

I just listed it for sale for $9500. I’d sell it to a LH for $8700 which is my breakeven point to trading it in, accounting for the GA sales tax credit.

1 Like

Thoughts?

Miles are high but V6 Engine seems reliable… common issues the headlight bulbs (cheap and easy), AC compressor… which can be costly. I can asked if it was replaced: Looks clean and has a lot of modern features.

Why not rent ?

I don’t feel like changing tires on the M4, so I would pick something up and sell it come mid March or so. If i can get a good deal and something reliable, I am confident I can drive it for free, with my pictures, a $100 exterior detail at a shop by me, and my written ad. Maybe even make a couple bux because I know how to sell.

Changing tires ? In your op you said you needed a car till the 2 week of December, a rental should do the job

Yes, that is correct. I guess my goal would be to find something pretty decent and keep it through the winter to use for snow. I will use the M4 for everything else.

Typical (probably unlicensed) dealer ad… they just throw that boilerplate on everything they sell.

Any time someone says “engine 100%” on a used car, run away.

1 Like

exactly right! My son and I discussed why in the world the stalks would be flipped. Only thing I could think of is this is a remnant of days gone by where, if you were in the left seat of the car, you’d be giving hand signals with your left, hence that’s where the stalk was put. So the same would have been true for RHD folks signaling with their right hand. I inevitably flip the wipers on every damned time I first get in the car. If that’s all I drove, I’d of course get used to it.

Just picked up my first JDM stickshift from the port today in the form of an Alto Works. Anxious to get some seat time in it when I have the free minutes (as if that ever happens).

1 Like

Crown Victoria seems like a good candidate for the short term rental.

1 Like

Overpriced

You’re getting an XDrive, why not just get winter tires and enjoy the car year round? Why go through the hassle of buying and selling some jalopy just to avoid getting winter tires?

He is probably trying to avoid to salt on the roads.

Buy a true beater
I bought a 1998 expedition til my keeper came in
Now to unload it :joy:

3 Likes

what about importing from South America (i.e. Colombia)?

How many kilos?

2 Likes