What would you buy for $10k?

A Fiesta with the V8 would be nasty. Forget the Hellcat. :joy:

3 Likes

Let’s flip the question. Tell us what your real or hypothetical search query is for a car below $10k and then post some links to cars you could get without a PPI.

That goes without saying.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/d/morrow-2005-hyundai-elantra-38k-miles/7552817391.html

This was when Hyundai was going from terrible to bad to mediocre to good very quickly, often in the space of one to two generations. You really don’t want to be on the wrong side of that continuum.

The 2006 Sonata was nominated in this podcast as one the cars with the greatest leap from bad to good in one generation.

PS: Unlicensed dealer; try to avoid.

so pre 2006 Hundais were bad?

It’s not like any particular year is the hard cutoff between good and bad.

They were improving massively with every generation.

Instead of a low-mileage example of an older generation, I’d look at examples with more miles on newer generations.

The memories of pre 2006 Hyundais are vastly different from todays Hyundais. Massive strides indeed.

Anyone remember Daewoo?

if you don’t remember Daewoo consider yourself lucky ! :rofl:

5 Likes

The Leganza was … something else

I remember our Lincoln dealer had a Daewoo affiliation. One time long ago when our Navigator was in for service, the manager offered us a Nubira wagon as a loaner. Had a great relation with him and he always gave out interesting loaners pulled right from stock, most notably Blackwoods and V8 Lincoln LS’s.

He was so proud to give this thing out swearing up and down it’s going to be the next best manufacturer. I still remember what a steaming piece of junk that thing was.

1 Like

My under $10k buy can become your under $10k buy.

:wink:
I make no promises, though. You never know if it will go over. ha.

8 Likes

Congrats on getting this one to the finish line with a US Title. Good luck with the auction!

1 Like

Is there much demand for right hand drive cars in the US?

When looking through the pictures, I saw the parking brake pedal, and thought it was a clutch pedal. I was having trouble envisioning trying to drive a manual right hand drive car.

Its not too bad. You get used to it fairly quickly

1 Like

What is a good condition Evo V going for at auction these days?

I could look, but it won’t be eligible for import until the new year, and, when that happens, the values will change significantly.

1 Like

There is a demand for cars that weren’t sold here originally, regardless of where the steering wheel is.

1 Like

Everything is same just on opposite side.
Most entertaining is when you get pulled over and cop asks you where the driver went, but that was a decade ago, maybe now they’re more aware of RHD cars here.

what about the drive thru? Seen plenty of people go in reverse