What would you buy for $10k?

Finally picked it up, and posted it on FB Marketplace, someone come buy her for $7,000- had a previous LH message me showing interest and then ghosted me the day of pickup soooooo…

Located in Cheshire CT- scroll up for details, great first car or beater or overall family car

If that first gen Lacrosse has the available 3800 @max_g is referring to, that would be an option. If it had the 3.6 or 5.3, I’d skip it. The 3800 was an option on the first gen Lacrosse, but don’t remember when it was finally killed off

1 Like

Just picked this 2006 Honda Accord for my sister. I paid $4,715+tax OTD. It’s a one owner car with only 83,000 miles on the clock and no accidents. Was on the lookout for a while because my sister wanted to cash out equity from her lease.

12 Likes

CarMax would’ve definitely listed it for $11,999

3 Likes

It’s a 16 year old car so they can’t put it on the front lot, but even at auction they would have made a killing.

Nice buy. From a dealer too. How long did they have it?

It’s an employee deal from CarMax, someone traded that car in for $4,400. After inspection and reconditioning it came out to $4,715

2 Likes

Back seat is in rough shape:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/7534386941.html

2004 Volvo XC70, 1 elderly owner, no accidents, regularly maintained, immaculate and rare dark brown leather interior, 49K miles

Ok, so I paid $12,150 for what at the time was the lowest mileage P2 XC70 for sale (and may be for a very long time)…but I took the plunge and bought out the '21 Tiguan SEL 4-Motion (15,900 miles) and then sold it to ALGO for a $1400 profit, so I’m not too far off the 10K price cap.

So, instead of paying another $9000 in lease payments through May of 2024 (including disposition) on a car I wasn’t thrilled with, I’ll have equity in a nice car that will always have an audience, and won’t depreciate that much. This one has plenty of miles left to go!

7 Likes

i LOVE this car

1 Like

amazing deal. I had an 06 Accord Special Edition that I miss dearly…

1 Like

Yes it has the 3800. In fact this is one of two I narrowed it down too and just had a PPI completed on it. No issues other than brake fluid needs changed and battery recommend replace. Easy fixes that I used to negotiate price down. Looking forward to pick up tomorrow and go flip one of the Hondas !!!

1 Like

So any car not going to the front lot can be bought by an employee at the post-recondition price?

i believe only if it doesnt meet their lot requirements, carmax does not put cars older than 10 years old on the lot / certain miles / salvage titles obviously the usual criteria

1 Like

Correct.

1 Like

Yeah, these are super comfortable, and just the right amount of power. I’ve actually found that I’m a calmer and slower driver when I’m behind the wheel of this car…I don’t seem to be in much of a hurry to get anywhere! LOL

1 Like

If a list has a 2012 T&C listed as most unreliable ever made, it is flat out wrong. By then, with the Pentastar 3.6 and 6-speed gearbox, they are pretty darned good. Some oil leak issues can happen from the front of the engine, but not catastrophic by any means.

Took a while, but my Pajero finally arrived by slow boat from Japan a couple of weeks ago and made it to my driveway today. It is pretty sweet.

10 Likes

If it’s not going on the front lot it gets sent to their auction. No reconditioning is done for their auction cars. When I worked there a few years back the employee price is whatever they’re in it for + a purchase fee of $300-350. Scored a couple really good deals during that time. Limited to 3 wholesale purchases per year

Thoughts on an unadvertised MazdaSpeed6 with 77k miles and mostly strong maintenance history for 5k? Some seepage from the diff so at a minimum the seal needs to be replaced and the thermostat housing is stuck open.