What is the best time to lease during the year?

Hello,

I am relatively new to the forum and I am still learning from all of your great advice. I currently own my car and I have no urgency to make a change. Therefore, I am wondering if there is a specific month or season where I can get the best deal. Specifically, I am considering the following cars: Mercedez C or CLA Class, Infiniti Q class, or BMW 3 series. Ideally, I would want to get the closest I can to $250 per month (with taxes). Of course, I am open to CPOs or loaners.

Any advice??

1 Like

Year end is considered good. Model year end , major version change.

Year end and end of quarter tend to be the best times. January and February are usually pretty bad. What you want isn’t going to be nearly impossible at your budget. You either need to spend more or consider a lesser car. A Q50 would probably be doable for $300 as long as you are in a competitive market.

My wife’s lease ends in September. Is it worth considering a 39 month lease to try to change the next cycle to December?

• End of fiscal year/quarter/month in descending order. Most manufacturers have fiscal years ending on 12/31 or 3/31 so end of December and March can be really good.

• Most manufacturers will also offer additional rebates around public holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving)

• Model year change also provides good opportunities, usually lease terms get attractive and manufacturers throw in good lease cash in previous year’s model to make room for the new model year cars coming in. Depending on the make and model this could be anytime between July and December…

You will have to see if RV changes, but I know one issue with 39mo leases is you’re on the hook for the 4th year car registration fees, even though you only have the car for 3 of the 12 months.

Well you can get good deal almost any time , it just means what’s on line for dealer if he walks off in negotiation with you. If you are not looking for a one of a kind deal you can get deal any time. The time frames above increases your odds .

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll see what kind of rebates are happening in September, and if they’re not too good, aim for 39 month lease.

I’m assuming this is a California thing? I can just transfer plates to new car, at least here in PA.

Just extend it for 3 months at the same payment. And it’s month-to-month, so you can get out at any time.

september is a really good time due to model year change

This December i felt was relatively mediocre for year end lease deals. Many cars i looked at didn’t offer much additional anything and dealers weren’t as eager to sell. Not sure why.

I thought the same thing. BMW and Mercedes loaners were about the best of the bunch. The bread and butter cars…meh.

I’m not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the old lease or the new one? And wouldn’t a 39 month lease typically be more expensive?

I’ll definitely be paying attention a lot more this September.

Any lease. If you need to wait for better deal - you extend.

2 Likes

Huh. I didn’t realize that was a thing. Doesn’t sound like Hyundai does month to month extensions though :frowning:

Don’t know if they do, call and ask. It’s not really month-to-month. You extend for 3 and they let you out at any time during that time. At least Volvo allows extensions, so keep this in mind :slight_smile:

I know that infiniti allows extensions, I’ve extended my QX60 for 18 months. I just kept calling and asking giving one reason or another and they said ok. I also extended my audi for 2 months and Toyota allows up to 3 months so seems like a lot allow an extension.

How do month to month extensions get handled with regards to registration? In California I believe you’d have to pay for another year (~$350 for my BMW 340i), simply to extend the lease another few months (ie. your registration is up in October at least end, so who pays for the registration for November/December etc). Have I missed something or does this sound right?

You take care of registration, it has nothing to do with the leasing company. You may get prorated refund.