What do you think? Good deal? 2019 Audi S5 Sportback

With $10k of negative equity, that’s rather impressive

2 Likes

On the surface, it’s a decent deal WITHOUT the trade and without knowing the MF, residual, etc.

However, if you have $10,000 in negative equity, I strongly urge you to reconsider this, especially because it’s adding $300+ per month to the payment, aside from the fact you could end up in negative equity again by rolling in that much.

How and why did you end up with that, may I ask? It may help any of us here to know why you’re considering taking on such a huge burden.

3 Likes

What’s prompting the timing of this? Is there some life-ending repair needed on the trade in?

Aside from some pressing circumstances, nobody here will rally around rolling $10k in to any deal.

But, OTOH, it’s your money and your future.

A 42-month term is always a bad idea for a lease. You will incur more in maintenance and consumables over those last six months than you’ll save versus a 36-month term. Plus depending on your state, buying a tag for 6 months but paying full price can be a $600 or so expense.

I urge you to think long and hard about pulling the trigger. These types of decisions have ripple effects that go about 20 years out.

And of course, all that advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

:bat:

1 Like

Not one person is going to recommend burying that much negative equity into this deal. But it’s a good deal. Don’t do it.

2 Likes

$13k trade in value for a 2017 A3? That sounds very low, unless it’s beat or high miles. Maybe a chunk of the discount is trade under allowance disguised as an aggressive deal. I would just hang on to the A3 another year or two while it’s still under warranty (assuming you didn’t hit mileage cap) and right size your negative equity some.

Otherwise I suppose the deal looks decent considering all the negative equity.

Seriously. A 2017 Civic LX books for higher :rofl: I bet they don’t do this new car discount without the trade-in. OP needs to find out what that car is actually worth, and get the most money for it possible.

1 Like

Ok heres the scenario…I was just inquiring about another car at the dealership on a whim and I originally went in to look at a 2019 RS3. I wanted to see what they drove like and such. I have the A3 and purchased it new for my wife, she after driving it for 2 years wanted an SUV to feel safer so I traded in my car that was paid off for her SUV. I inherited the A3 and its not my cup of tea-Ive always had coupes not 4 doors and always had sporty vehicles. We know a salesperson who sold us the SUV, and he said when I came in for service trade it in. I am underwater on the A3 and there is nothing wrong with it, but just to see what it was worth I brought it in for an appraisal and they only want to give me 13k. I know I can get a better vehicle for what I am paying on the A3, but I am stuck with that 10k rollover, the only way I see out of it is to lease a new vehicle and roll it in. I want something with more performance, but the sales person first came up with 1k a month on a purchase for an RS3 without the A3, i said no he then tried to sell me an A4 for 800 a month I said no. then he said what about leasing an S5 because he has more wiggle room and he would take the A3-I said I need more for the A3 and he said thats KBB and thats the best they could do. i havent signed anything because I want more for the trade and maybe roll 5k into a new car lease max. Thanks for all your help!

2017 KBB on it is 17k but they wont budge so we are at a stale mate

Do you have a CarMax in your state? Maybe see what they’ll give you and then press the Audi dealer to honor the deal without the trade in as part of it (obviously stripping out the negative equity). Then see if you can pay the difference between what you owe and what CarMax offers on it. Private party sale is out right now. Frankly, you’re probably better served waiting, at least until the stay at home orders are lifted (not to mention it being safer to be out), but I’ve already mentioned holding off once, so I’ll let this be the last time.

This Is a good thing. Wait a year. Or till you’re even. Whichever comes first.

1 Like

All the good options for getting trade in options (carvana, etc) are closed right now. You’re going to have to wait this one out for a little while.

1 Like

Or take the ten thousand dollar bath.

Either way.

1 Like

yea I was going to see about car max or givemethevin.com. not sure if anyone has used them. I can wait but I dont want to say I hate the car…but its not my cup of tea. I thought that was a great deal on an S5 but its not what I originally came in for. i wont ever be even on the A3 unless I see out the loan-it depreciated way to fast. I know that the dealer hasnt had anyone in and no ones buying so i figured I would test the waters and see.

Like I said I was just seeing what was on offer, i do think my only way out of that negative equity is thru a lease tho. Yea Im in no hurry, just wanted to see what everyone thought.

You’re paying for it one way or another. If you do roll it into a lease, you’ll want to find a vehicle with the lowest MF possible. Keep in mind that whatever amount you roll in, you get to pay taxes and interest on a second time.

True, its the only way out I think, I am trying to get the trade within a 5k difference so i can roll in that equity that i know i can pay off, funny thing is i don’t really care for the S5 but thats the only thing they came at me with under a 1k a month lease payment.

You could consider making a purchase/lease that’s financially sound rather than considering a vehicle you don’t even like so you can pay even more for the a3 than you’re paying now…

5 Likes

This is gonna sound rough unintentionally.

There are way bigger problems than driving an A3 and making double payments for a year.

Only you can determine if the juice is worth the squeeze.

1 Like

Yea I posted because of the crazy discounting they were doing on an S5 model. I actually went in to see the RS3-RS5 coupe. They wouldnt budge on anything but the S5 sportback. They brought that car to me and said this would be my best deal for anything under 1k a month. i was never going to sign anything, I just thought it would be interesting to get comments on it. i am not opposed to any other vehicles.