What do we think of these new 'small' trucks? - Ford Maverick/ Hyundai Santa Cruz

Too bad the Maverick is not a plug in hybrid to take advantage of $4500 federal rebate. Might be eligible for some state rebates still, like $1500 MA.

:raising_hand_man:t2:

Has anyone seen dates for when each hits dealer lots?

Santa Cruz says coming summer 2020, Hyundai now has links to reserve the different models;
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/2022-santa-cruz#form

Ford is also offering reservations for the Maverick;
https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/2022/#reservation

Small truck with big boy prices

No need to bump 2 threads with the same article.

Not to bump an old thread, but I actually ordered a Maverick Hybrid recently with Chapman Ford of Horsham PA. I decided to get the cheapest one possible as I’m sure it’ll hold it’s value the best and I wanted to what a new vehicle on the opposite side of the price spectrum from what I’m used to is like. The sticker ended up being $21,855 including destination. I ordered a base XL Hybrid FWD (even though I live in NJ where it snows). I have a short commute (24 mile round trip) and don’t need a fancy and expensive car for my short commute considering I work from home occasionally as well.

I decided I wanted to try out a hybrid for the gas mileage.

I’m interested to see how I’ll like it compared to my BMW’s, Chevy Bolt, an old Saab, my GTR and Solstice GXP. My theory is if I get a cheap daily, I can get nicer sports/weekend cars…

5 Likes

Did they give any delivery targets?

Not yet, I’m expecting Q2 2022, so like sometime between March and June most likely. Hybrid deliveries are starting shortly, in November or December I believe.

1 Like

I’m looking at ordering one as well. I’ve gone back and forth between the XL and XLT. The XLT has a couple nice upgrades, but it would be a second vehicle for us so I’m not sure how much I need the upgrades. I do like you can add the Co-Pilot for $540 to the XL though. Love lane assist in my Explorer.

1 Like

You can’t get cruise control on XL.

Good point.

I heard a rumor that Ford is going to stop taking orders on these after Oct 31. I ended up ordering an XLT with the Co-Pilot add on. Unfortunately, they are 4 to 6 months out.

1 Like

Yup, I decided personally that I don’t need cruise control unless it’s adaptive. I never use normal cruise control here in NJ, speeds fluctuate too much typically. I’m geeking out on getting a vehicle that’s cheaper than the Civic that I like and think is cool.

1 Like

Saw a Santa Cruz for the first time IRL.

It’s pretty small and the bed is borderline useless for hauling stuff.

A CUV would probably a lot more practical on a daily basis, so I’m assuming the main buying segment is r/notlikeotherboys

1 Like

It’s not for hauling lol

Just enough to pick up items you buy on OfferUp…or FB marketplace for that minimalist living

I did not know this existed. I can’t decide if I hate the content more than knowing it exists. :face_vomiting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/notlikeotherguys/comments/pla34g/the_og/

1 Like

I’m currently shopping for a new vehicle and finally got to check out a Santa Cruz in person. I disagree that the bed is “borderline useless,” unless you have unrealistic expectations based on comparing it to the capabilities of a regular truck.

The SC appealed to me as a vehicle with which I could tow a small camping or utility trailer, would fit in my garage, has a second seating row, and with a securable bed. As a homeowner who has made plenty of trips to home improvement stores for furniture, appliances, bags of mulch, potting soil, flats of plants, and other materials, I like the idea of being able to transport these things outside the vehicle. For me, the bed in the SC would be just fine for hauling that sort of stuff, while also meeting my other needs. I do think it would be difficult to haul some goods like larger pieces of lumber. I ultimately removed the Santa Cruz from my list, not due to the bed, but because the backseat was smaller than we need.

This is why we need these small trucks

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5162952720386456&id=100000153373396