What do we think of these new 'small' trucks? - Ford Maverick/ Hyundai Santa Cruz

I missed this when I first read the announcements. Very cool:

These “Syclones” were turbo charged beasts. They had an SUV equivalent as well.

3 Likes

Typhoon! They were pretty close in terms of raw speed to a Ferrari of the same vintage, which is pretty crazy to think about.

2 Likes

Yep! Those trucks were bad ass. A few simple bolt on’s got you into the 10’s.

1 Like

These so-called pickups can’t even handle a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Everyone is more concerned with crew cabs and less about the actual bed capacity - which WAS why pickups were created.

It requires some finesse but they CAN do it. It’s just not something you would ever do regularly in that truck.

Did you look at the link I shared above?

By adjusting support cables on the sides of the tailgate, owners can also set the tailgate to a halfway-open position. That acts as sort of a built-in bed extender and allows owners to haul varying sizes and shapes of cargo more easily. For example, owners can load in up to 18 4x8 sheets of three-quarter-inch plywood by laying them across the half-open tailgate and the rear wheel wells.

3 Likes

Maybe not as elegant as with a full-size truck, but definitely doable. But regardless, that’s not the only measure of a truck. Plenty of folks want a truck with a bed but don’t need all the hauling capability of a half-ton full-size. This particular truck is aimed at a. Unserved portion of the market especially at its price and fuel economy. Not everyone is a general contractor.

6 Likes

And some people never haul more than 12 goats at once.

1 Like

I can confirm, i have never hauled more than that.

5 Likes

Actually not true. See the comment from @jeisensc. If you lay the goats on their side and open the bed, you can fit 18 easily.

1 Like

I’ll concede that @jeisensc knows his plywood, but you’re no goatherd.

2 Likes

I am not a farmer, but if 2 goats are nearby I am 99.9% sure they each see a grazing tin can and eat each other

7 Likes

These trucks are perfect… for college parking lots that don’t allow full-size.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Yeah i’m wondering what the ‘market adjustment’ will be for these initially? especially in these crazy times.

worktime

It’s possible the Maverick may not be the only small truck Ford has in the pipeline

I see a mid-70’s Courier still putting around town, so I wonder if they’ll renew the NA trademark on it too. Most recently built in Brazil off the Fiesta platform.
FordCourier

I think Courier is a bit too french for midwestern market, tho.

2 Likes

I wonder if the Splash will be a package, a stepside, a powertrain or something else for the Maverick or Ranger. I can’t see how a stepside would make sense though.

1 Like