What do we think of these new 'small' trucks? - Ford Maverick/ Hyundai Santa Cruz

Landscapers? Around where I live they are all driving F150/250 or equivalent GM, Ram, etc.

And for some inexplicable reason they are all lifted even though it makes their life more difficult multiple times a day

If they are not driving Rangers or Canyons, why would they drive Mavericks?

1 Like

After owning a Tacoma and Ram 1500, I can’t see the point in owning a small/mid-size truck. My Ram got the same if not better gas mileage than the Tacoma. Do I need the size? No, but haven’t met a female who didn’t prefer a little extra size either.

1 Like

Perception/self-image…project ‘success’/penis overcompensation, even if it’s not economically frugal. Cali is about to phase out 2-4 cycle equipment in 2024…lithium-based equipment is already superior in many ways, and the need to haul around ancient heavy machinery is nearing collapse. Several industries are entering a ‘great reset’, and landscaping is yet another.

I’m excited by the Maverick. I think it’s going to be a hit, especially at the price point it’s at. The problem with the Ranger and Tacoma IMO is that (pre pandemic) you can get a full size truck for the same money after taking into account discounts and incentives on both models. It literally doesn’t make sense to get the shittier truck for the same money. The F150 is much nicer than the Ranger as well. This is different, it’s smaller enough and cheap enough with good enough MPG to stand out. The Ranger is just too similar to the F150, but worse in basically every way.

The one thing that surprised me about the Maverick is why they’re using Sync 3 and not Sync 4 or 4a?

2 Likes

I’ll have to dig into that. I will say the only problem I ever had with Sync3 (qnx) was hardware, never software. Huge improvement over the old Microsoft Sync.

My 2002 Ram is 6.4L V8 and gets 15 mpg. It has a use case, but not so much these days. Mav would get 95% usage against the Dodge, up until I need a large load of bulk goods (1 ton or more). $4+ gallon is here…it’s real!

2 Likes

There is an FX4 package available at launch on 2.0T / AWD models. I don’t see any reason it should have less lifestyle pretensions than a Jeep Renegade/Compass/Cherokee, Bronco Sport, Outback Wilderness or RAV4 TRD Off-Road.

I don’t think you can compare a 18-19 year old vehicle to current ones. However, the 2020 Tacoma gets 20 city/23 highway, The Ram V6 will get 19 city/24 highway. 1 MPG difference for a significantly smaller and outdated vehicle does not make sense for me.

Oh I totally agree with that…but what if…say, you could get some payload (short bed) and double that mileage, at half the cost? Mav? (okay, I exaggerate a bit!lol)

Not really a truck person but I am very interested on the Maverick. I have a bunch of cars/suvs and don’t mind adding a truck. For that price it’s so hard to say no to. I wonder how it’ll lease or if they’ll offer 0% on it.

1 Like

Where is VW’s Golf (bag) pickup? :laughing:

1 Like

Around here (Southern CA) they are mostly in smaller trucks. In my neighborhood there are 3 different ones that come around in Tacomas, one in an older Ranger and one in an older Dodge Dakota. Pool service guys are in smaller trucks as well, aside from one in a brand new Denali dually.

3 Likes

I do think the pricing on the Mav is a game changer. $21.5k with a hybrid, $22.6k with a 2.0T. That’s impressive. Other than the base steel wheels, it’s decently equipped as standard. I don’t know if I’d spring for the XLT or get some alloys after the fact.

Even an XLT 2.0T AWD FX4 with sunroof and tow package stays just under $30k. Not bad in today’s market.

1 Like

Looking forward to the Mav’s release. Currently in a company vehicle ('19 Fusion AWD) and like the “performance” of the 2.0 powertrain. Adding some utility and a bit of elevation over the road would be a welcomed improvement. Based on cost of options I can see Lariat level being easily within reach.

1 Like

Do we think this would be more of a dog compared to like a base tacoma/Chevy/GMC with the 4 banger? Being unibody I would have to think this vehicle will be lighter also…

Same reason people prefer suv over mini van. Looks cooler to drive this than a work van.

1 Like

If it is essentially the Fusion powertrain, which was also in the CMax, it will be fun to drive. The only aspect I didn’t care for in either car was the LRR tires (but both sets did last the entire 15k/yr lease).

Neither CMax was quite like driving my WRX or GTI, but not that far off. More than half the time I drove the cmax like the WRX, and it liked it.

I had a cmax energy that was surprising “peppy” when it needed to be. Not a huge fan of the CVT but understand that it

1. Is existing so no build from new cost
  2. Is good from a MPG pov
1 Like

They have VW pickups around the globe. There’s one in Mexico. None in the US lol.

1 Like

#chickenTax

4 Likes