Moi Thats Me GIF by Rooster Teeth

I had always assumed that to be the case. I feel so betrayed. :rofl:

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

1 Like

Aguachiles my mother in law keeps me well fed :drooling_face:

1 Like

You just know the foods gonna hit when it’s in that type of plate

1 Like

Sorry but that looks like your MIL is trying to get rid of you. I’m sure it’s good but looks a little scary.

4 Likes

Theme for dinner tomorrow night is Midwest supper club.

Before the Prime New York strips and baked potatoes, we’ll have a simple iceberg salad with Thousand Island dressing (Grandma’s recipe).

I’ll grill burgers later in the week, so the dressing will also be a nice step up from mayo on those.

4 Likes

I’ll recommend doing smash burgers with the dressing. Two thin patties, american cheese, toasted bun and use caramelized onions.

Traditionally, a Midwest supper club would be more suited with prime rib, baked potato, a house salad and an old fashioned. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I still think that dude looks like a skinnier John Goodman (in this particular photo)

1 Like

Both kinds! Alright no more NSFWhackr…

Not going to smash them, but I’ve stopped making really hefty patties and now do 5 to a pound, 2 patties per burger.

This puts a lot more charred surface area into every bite, and as a bonus they cook in ~3 minutes.

I can’t make decent caramelized onions (I’ve stopped trying), but YES to the American cheese.

And for these I like the small, cheap store-brand buns. This is no place for brioche or a kaiser roll. Strictly the small grocery store brand for ~$1.25 for a package of 8.

2 Likes

2 thin patties >>> 1 colossal patty

Came to this revelation a few years ago myself.

4 Likes

How do you make thin patties medium-rare AND have char on each of them?

1 Like

High heat does the trick for me but I’m not referring to smashburgers. I meant two thinner hand-formed patties. The typical pub or steakhouse burgers (whatever they’re called) are too big for my liking most of the time.

Nothing more annoying that a big spherical burger patty you can’t even hold let alone bite.

1 Like

Giant burgers require structural integrity, which is where most of them fail.

Once most of the air in the bun has been replaced by grease (and/or sauce) and the bun has mostly collapsed, I’m done.

4 Likes

A fork is an under-rated tool for any collapsing meat-inside-bread concoction. I’m looking at you, Gyro.

But yeah a huge patty is often just a marketing gimmick. A. Human jaws aren’t built like snakes. B. Give me quality meat instead of quantity.

2 Likes

I like the contrasting texture of the bun. Once it’s warm and flat and squishy… :-1:

There are a couple of butchers I really like. Definitely not buying the 80/20 in the plastic tube at Kroger.

1 Like

Duck

Pork & lamb

5 Likes

The key is lower heat and more time. The onions will take awhile to do their thing (without overcooking). American cheese can rarely be beat when it comes to a traditional cheeseburger.

:100: :100:

Yes, I’ve been told and I’ve tried. A trillion times. :slight_smile:

On the stove, in the oven, in the slow cooker, in a cast iron pan, in a non-stick skillet, in a dutch oven, in an aluminum saucepan…

With butter, with olive oil, with coconut oil, with various combinations of those and other oils or space-age polymers and/or petroleum jelly…

They always suck, and I’ve made my peace with that.

1 Like