Weird Experiences at Dealerships

Ok seriously that racist card thrown around like that just dilutes the word. Everything is racist nowdays. I mean when even a congresswoman pulls the racist card when a first class seat is given to her instead of the customer that paid for it, i think we reaching a point of no return. I think mods should close this thread and we can open a new thread on this topic. I think it was entertaining topic.

4 Likes

NY dealers are the same. I think they do not want you to shop it around and easier to sell when you in the dealer.

Seriously… If you don’t think that EVERY single bit of you isn’t being used to develop a profile by any salesperson worth their salt, you’re an idiot. Your race, clothes, age, sex, hair, weight… It’s all being used to sell you something whether you like it or not. Now there’s obviously exceptions to the profiles, but people everywhere profile customers, etc BECAUSE IT WORKS. Anyone who has ever sold anything to anyone for a living will tell you this if they are honest.

3 Likes

I tried to put it a little more mildly but this is correct on every level.

So is this even more reason to not step foot into the dealership until you have worked out all the numbers?

1 Like

In my opinion, no. By you having all of the knowledge you’ve gained from this site, and actually showing the knowledge, they are more inclined to give you a better price. Your knowledge is another way for them to profile you

That’s interesting, because I’ve tried many times to fly a flag at various dealerships in person and signal that I know the numbers, and they still play dumb as a rock about really basic stuff.

No I’m in Dallas. I was considering a Ram earlier this year and just walked in.

1 Like

i guess it depends on where in ny. In westchester they will take you seriously, nj less so, and LI hell no.

Santa Monica Lexus.

Was test driving a car, and feeling out possible lease prices.
Sales guy tells me “This dealership prints money, they don’t negotiate, they so rich”.
So I say that honesty is refreshing, but it isn’t going to help you move cars, and I drove back to dealership and left.

Also had a hedge fund manager looking for investors tell me he doesn’t need my money right at the start of the conversation. So I said wish granted, you will not get any of my money.

Dunno where these guys learned sales from. Unless its some sort of reverse psychology mind trick.

2 Likes

Check this out:
http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/legal-links-information/car-dealer-dictionary

This car last you all Spring '17 yo.

2 Likes

Yup. Or when they spend all day with you, you go through everything explain everything and they buy from another dealer because they beat your price by $5/mo and they never even asked if you could match it. Oh, and when they submit leads, don’t pick up or answer the phone/email for days/weeks, get upset when they finally do and say that they didn’t want to be contacted…Then why did you submit a lead? Don’t be rude guys, if you are not interested, say you’re not interested. Otherwise, BDC or sales will call everyday, sometimes numerous times a day until you answer or shoot yourself.

That’s just ridiculous. At least you didn’t waste 3 hours there trying to get them to lower the sales price.

I’m in NJ. What dealerships have you contacted so far? Like I’ve mentioned, RT 4 was the best 2 years ago or so, don’t know how it is now, but I do know that Nielsen and RT46 are still terrible.

Agreed on everything, including going back on topic.

Exactly. It’s now profiling when I call someone sir or ma’am because I am assuming their gender, even if they might “identify” as a different gender.

Exactly the reason for it. They want to prevent people from shopping around or doing everything on the phone/online. I would say contact a sales person or sales manager directly rather than just submitting a lead/BDC and explain to them what you want and that you will not go there unless you agree on price, vehicle, etc. Tell them that you know what vehicle you want and don’t need to test drive it, look at it, etc.

Exactly. Even forgetting about the racist shit. Different races need to be sold in different ways and presented products in different ways. It just works. Some only care about payments. Some only care about features. Some only about the bottom line. Profiling works.

That’s honestly because most salespeople are dumb as rocks. They just say what management tells them to say. And 99% of car salesmen are salesmen, not car guys. That’s why they don’t know or care about the cars.

That’s hilarious. That guy knows how to sell his shit. I wish all ads were this transparent.

1 Like

NJ is incredibly frustrating. NYC is a little better usually. I don’t think I’ve ever tried LI or Westchester.

I have tried, Sansone, Ramsey, Rt18, and Fullerton, these guys won’t tell you quotes on email or phone. The best one i found was Baker in Princeton where I bought my JGC from in October. Sansone Jeep is the most terrible i have seen in my life.

oh 1 more thing about Sansone, they switch contract lengths sometimes. When i was new to this car buying thing, bought my first ever car brand new from Sansone Hyundai. They told me the loan would be 72 months as usual. When i saw the contract like a few months ago, it was 75 months. i felt terrible. but this was 3 years ago, now i have learned so many new things on leasing and buying new cars, thanks to this forum and its members. :slight_smile:

Some of my experiences, aside from the typical “What’s a security deposit?” reply:

1. VW Alhambra - Tried to negotiate a price on a car that was 6 months into its model year. They started the negotiation at 5k over sticker… on a Tiguan. Good luck with that!

2. VW Van Nuys - I called and said I wanted to discuss numbers on a Tiguan. The salesperson responded with, “What? What do you mean, ‘numbers’?”

3. Audi Santa Monica - Was taken for a test RIDE at an Audi dealership and was not given the chance to drive the car (Q5). The salesperson chastised me for commenting that the car wasn’t as quick as I thought it’d be. She said “Why do you care about that? People don’t buy Audis for performance. Audi doesn’t make performance cars. I’ve worked at Audi for 4 years and nobody has ever said they wanted it to be faster. Give me one good reason why that matters.”

4. Lexus Santa Monica - I asked the salesperson what the 0-60 time and crash test rating were on an NX. She said the 0-60 was “0.7 - it’s very fast.” And in response to the crash test rating, she said “I’ve never heard of that before. What is that?”

5. Mercedes Santa Monica - Walked in and stood there for 5 minutes without having anybody so much as look me in the eye, including the receptionist. Walked up to her and asked for a salesperson. Salesguy walks up to me and the first words out of his mouth, instead of “Hi”, were “What kind of car do you drive?”

6. CDJR (forgot which city. somewhere in the south bay) - Was given a quote on a ~30K Dodge Charger for $3k down and $600/mo. + tax.

7. VW Alhambra - After an hour and a half at the dealership talking to 3 different people, I still hadn’t been given an actual 3-digit monthly price. So I tell them I’m leaving and hop in my car. The salesguy panics and says “Ok, let me run in and talk to my manager and get a real number for you - be right back in 30 seconds.” 5 minutes later, I walk in and tell him I’m done waiting. He runs after me and says “Ok, I got you a number!” I said “Great! What is it?” He says, “It’s somewhere in the 3’s”. I drove off laughing hysterically.

8. Hyundai Westchester - Dealer comments on my Infiniti and asks how much it was and what I got it for. I told him 43k MSRP for $300/mo, 0 down. He gives me a quote on a $28K Hyundai for $470 + tax.

Serious question - how are these dealerships still in business? Where do they manage to find these morons, and why do they insist on hiring them? And apparently I look too rich for a VW/Dodge/Hyundai but look too poor for a Benz/Audi. Good to know, I guess!

7 Likes

They aren’t just in NJ. PA CDJR dealers are pretty lousy as well. I wrote CDJR products off a long time ago simply because the dealership/purchase experience is so terrible.

1 Like

I’ve had the exact same experience and it was a Toyota dealership in NY ( I don’t remember the same)
The guy I spoke to, said he has been in the industry for 20 years and has never ever done single Toyota deal with MSD.
Those deposits mainly help low credit score customers to get the lease approved :smile:

Herb Chambers BMW in Boston.
Quarter mile test drives. Go down on street, U-turn straight to the dealer. :slight_smile:
No, I wasn’t test driving a M5. It was a base 228i.

1 Like

LOL, did they ask you to floor it? I remember when i was test driving a 328i, they specifically told me to floor it hard when we were waiting for the traffic light to turn green.