Weird Experiences at Dealerships

Hey guys, so, i have been going to the dealerships to get a new quote on a Dodge Challenger.

This dealership near me is super weird and gives out super high leasing quotes which are out of this planet lol.

So i went in yesterday, there was a guy at the front desk.

I went up to him, I did not had any appointments set up. I was a walk in, browsing for quotes. I ask him , dude i am looking for a leasing quote on a Dodge Challenger SXT, i give all the details about the miles and stuff, next thing i see is, the guy typing something into his computer, i thought he must be looking for some sales person who is free and can attend to me.

30 seconds later, i hear the printer going off, the guy (reception guy) hands me the lease quote straight printed out from the Dodge website. LOL

I ask him what is this, he says this is leasing quote for 36 months 12K miles. he also had nerves to tell me, “Everything is online sir, you can get everything online”. I was like is this happening for real?

I tell him, sir I am here to buy the car and I need a real quote please call a salesperson, he says This is the real quote, sir, straight from Chrysler.

i ran outta there, full speed.

I have bought 5 brand new cars this year and never had such a weird experience.

Anyone who wants to know the dealerships name, it is sansone automall in NJ.

Do you have any weird dealership stories? please share in comments.

2 Likes

I live in North Jersey. CJDR Dealers around here are all horrendous. I’ve never experienced such shitty service compared to when I walk into a CJDR dealer. Route 4 was the best in my experience, minimal bullshit with the guy I go to (Mike Hickey), but he does try and make money at first, you have to whittle him down. I like a lot of FCA’s products, but have been completely turned off from them because I have to step foot into a dealership. The worst ones around here are Nielsen and RT46 (I think they’re owned by the same group). Those dealerships have terrible pricing and policies. RT 46 doesn’t even let me test drive cars their (I’m young, so they probably don’t think I’m serious). I once went there to look at a RAM work truck for my company and the guy legitimately told me to leave and come back tomorrow when their “RAM Guy” was in. The place has 40 fucking sales people sitting on their asses doing nothing. I left and bought an F150. the next day. Same thing when I was looking at my Mustang, they didn’t want to let me test drive a Scat Pack and claimed they don’t test drive SRT’s of any kind (Not just Hellcats, not SRTs, 392’s, Scat Pack’s, etc.) They will let people drive SXT or R/T IF they think you’re very serious…I seriously noped out of there real fast. Oh, and when I was looking at a Chrysler 200 2 years ago, they kept coming back with ridiculous quotes. Like $399/mo with $5k due at signing for a $32k MSRP CHRYSLER 200. FFS, I think Kia has better dealerships than CJDR and that’s saying a lot. Kia sales is at least pretty decent (Service sucks though, god forbid you have a warranty issue…).

2 Likes

I never understood the idea of not letting you test drive. I sell cars, when I was at Nissan the only car we wouldn’t let people drive was the GT-R. You either needed to let us run credit or you needed to pull up in something that made sense. You come in 2004 Civic, you are not driving a GT-R, you come in a C63, or a NSX, sure go for it.

I sell Audi now, and other than the R8, and RS7 you can test drive what you want. We are a little cautious on RS3, but most of the time it isn’t an issue. I want to drive the Stinger GT, and a couple dealerships have given me a hard time. A Mercedes dealer wouldn’t let one of my customers drive the C43, he bought a S4 .

Offered a job by a sales manager because I didn’t let them make any money on a deal with a family member

1 Like

I think the treatment may have had more to do with you just stopping in without first discussing prices by email/telephone. I think they know they can often take advantage of those folks who just walk in without having done any homework. I went to one dealer this week to just test drive, since I wanted to see if I liked a certain car prior to starting negotiations. After the test drive, they would not even give me a price quote when I told them I would be checking with other dealers to get the best price.

While helping a friend to lease a Subaru, I was asked if I was with Subaru corporate and sent to inspect the dealership. You should have seen the amazement in their eyes when I showed them that MF and residual info can be found online…

2 Likes

Yeaa i also think that, but i thought its being last week of month and year, they will be aggressive, and the dealership will be full of people buying cars lol, i was wrong, they were all just wasting time chatting with each other.

Man should not teach tricks of the trade to them. :slight_smile:

Weird but sort of funny - I spent a day negotiating a lease on a Volvo XC90 and it then took a while to learn the car’s computer system for my wife during the after-sale demo. We were kind of tired by the end of it all and I think the sales guy was too, because we just drove right off without settling up the drive-offs. I actually called him later and reminded him.

Some of the stupid experience have been filling out all the paperwork for a sale and then having the sales guy snake the car to someone else right before I took delivery.

Just recently an internet sales guy pretended not to get my emails when I pointed out his obvious MF markup. Then he got pissy when his boss reached out to me to find out what was going on. Now he’s sort of groveling for my business and I may just tell him to go kill himself. We’ll see.

1 Like

Last summer I was looking at F-150’s and my wife had a situation where she needed to use the bathroom when we pulled up to the dealer. So she ran right in there while I was greeted by the sales guy. When he pulled the truck around so I could have a look and a test drive, I started measuring the back seat area for child car seat clearances with my tape measure.

So apparently my wife got out of the bathroom and walked by a bunch of other sales guys talking all kinds of trash about me because I was measuring the truck interior. She came back out and didn’t tell me until we left to go back home.

Yeah, I never got a follow up from them. They knew that I would know. Lost customer!

4 Likes

Reside in north Jersey as well. CDJR dealers are just plain awful.

1 Like

I’m appalled. I haven’t been on this forum for a very long time but up until now, even when the opinions and discussions with various comments and views get spicy and lively, I had never seen this kind of ignorant stereotyping and to top it off, the comments seem to be made with such glee. Nothing more small minded and ridiculous than painting an entire group of people with one small brush.

2 Likes

Had a weird Mitsubishi experience last night. Figured I’d drop by a see what kind of deal I could muster up at the end of the year/month for fun.

Once the sales guy noticed I knew what I was talking about he kept asking me these questions. “Why do you care about selling price so much if you are leasing?” “Money factor?? What’s that?” And the top best lie I’ve ever been told “The bank REQUIRES you to test drive the car to make sure you are serious about buying” I can only imagine if I brought up MSDs he would have fell or if his chair.

All I wanted was a Mirage base model for 50 bucks a month :frowning: maybe I’ll have better luck next year.

1 Like

the problem with all these dealerships is, the salesmen working there do not know about cars. I have yet to see a dealership where the guy knows everything about cars.

I called one of the dealerships that day and asked I am looking for a dodge challenger with blacktop package, the women on the other side say u want dodge challenger with a black colored top? i was like do me a favor and hang up lol.

A few months ago, I was talking with a salesman on trading in my Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, he says so you want to trade in your Mitshubishi HIGHLANDER. whaaaat! lol

2 Likes

To be fair, the OP walked in and asked for a quote according to his story… 90% of Car buying Customers don’t buy cars the way LeaseHakrs do. We often times see people asking for evaluations of their lease offers on this forums where the dealer is selling the cars at MSRP and adding the Dealer Addons.

The salesguys’ job is to show the customer a car and get a commitment. Granted a lot of people in the industry know absolutely nothing about cars but that usually takes away from the people that have been doing it for years and know the ins and outs of the business, its all a matter of who you end up working with. People get upset at the Salesperson because they show you a quote that they have to show you which is honestly not fair to them since their only job is to get a commitment and make it a happy medium for their managers as well as the customer.

Patels/ Habibis/TooHighs are not describing a race of people as @ReneL said it is their actions and how you have to work a deal with them in the car industry. They just happen to be Asian in most cases

They still sell Mitsubishis?

2 Likes

I beg to differ. The previous poster specifically stated the term and the descriptions were about “Indians.” I don’t care how you try to rationalize it or dress it up. “Profiling” as some others have also referred to it, is by definition stereotyping. I have no issue with the rest of your comment.

It’s not a pleasant experience to be on the other side of the stereotyping, especially as a customer. I’m African American and definitely experience this kind of stereotyping as a customer and Hell, People it’s 2018!

It burns me up and I don’t hesitate to call it out when I’m the victim of such ignorance. I know it was the case when I recently shopped around for my current lease and I just experienced it yesterday when I was shopping for paint of all things. I have a master’s degree, have owned a successful small business for 15 years and my money is as green and negotiable as anyone else’s. Judging a potential customer by their race or gender is just small minded and frankly stupid. The Lexus guy who recently treated me as if he couldn’t be bothered lost out to Genesis.

4 Likes

The description here is what they do and their method of negotiations… Most people I work with don’t really say strictly indian people are that. If I have a customer that is doing certain things I can tell my sales manager I am dealing with a patel/habibi/TooHigh so that they know what to expect out of the deal and the methods we need to use with the customer. Like I said in my previous post, most salespeople don’t know what’s going on and the rest of us shouldn’t be judged based on someone else’s action or words. That’s stereotyping too…

1 Like

They are also the single wealthiest group in America by race and ethicinity

Calm down dude. It’s not a big deal. If you ever sold cars, you would come around and understand it. Not all Indian’s are terrible to sell a car to. In fact, some of the best and funniest experiences I’ve had when selling cars were to Indian’s. But, when a majority of the population is a pain in the ass, and makes you stay late when you already work insane 60-70 hour weeks, it does lead to stereotyping. BUT, is that my fault, or their fault for constantly proving me wrong when I say to myself that this guy isn’t like the last and isn’t gonna waste my time, ruin my weekend, make stay 4 hours past close just to try and negotiate again after he agreed to a price and is in finance trying to reneg the whole deal. They’re not bad people and I’m friends with a bunch of Indian people and they always laugh at my stories when I tell them how much car salesmen hate Indians (At least in the Fairfield/Caldwell/Morristown/RT 22/46 Area of NJ). Fact of the matter is there is always gonna be stereotyping, if you want to stop it, you have to prove them wrong. You can’t continue to do the thing they are stereotypically believe that you would do. If you don’t like a car salesman’s behavior, speak to his manager, call it out and ask for another car salesman. Don’t let one bad apple ruin the whole basket.

Not sure why my post got axed, I thought it was decently informative, albeit offensive to the millennials and what not. A mod should have just removed the offensive part and kept the last part that was really informative and not offensive.

1 Like