We need a rant thread (to vent our frustration)

After the, “why does the dealer waste our time” thread got closed, I feel like we don’t have a place to complain about our dealer experience!

I had the local chevy dealer quote me MSRP on a '19 corvette z51 with $9,000 in “appearance options” (Makes you wonder why it hasn’t sold yet)

After laughing about trying to quote me MSRP on a last generation Corvette they come back with a 13% off number after telling them I wanted 15%… Ok… I’m on the fence, not a terrible deal. THEN I get this text from the dealer…

Like, are you effing kidding me, #1 - They were trying to sell me an essentially used corvette for MSRP, hahaha. #2 - I want more money off…

So I tell them that with 550 miles I expect a few more pennies off and they hold saying they are losing money on the deal already. I can’t help but think, if they didnt want to lose money on a car sale maybe they shouldn’t have took the merch out for some joy rides. And you know for damn sure those 550 miles are HARD.

Some dealers just, suck.

Edit: Before you go blasting me because you think I hate dealers, this is a vent for everyone. Dealers, brokers, customers of all shapes and sizes. Let it rip…

6 Likes

Cool story bro.

15 Likes

Thank you! Your recognition made me feel a lot better about the situation. image

4 Likes

You coulda just posted that in the “worst leases” thread

1 Like

Manual premium since C8 don’t yet have Manual option.

You sound like an absolute nightmare to deal with

17 Likes

This should have been enough of a red flag to not even start a conversation with the dealer.

3 Likes

This thread has my permission to left-turn into “worst customers” because :point_up:t2::point_up:t2::dart::dart::dart:

Be honest @pr3dict - how many times have your found yourself in a dealership on the last day of the month, after closing, where the sales manager ends the shouting match by throwing your keys at you? :thinking:

3 Likes

I have too many stories to type. People whine that dealers are assholes, customers are 1000000000000x worse.

Maybe I’ll share some highlights later when I’m not busy.

4 Likes

I collect these so anytime. Anytime.

Anytime a friend in the business calls after work with “we had to throw a customer out today” :ear:t2::cupid::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I’ll start it off…Can you get me a McLaren Senna? 15,000 Miles per year, Under $400 per month. $0DAS and no MSDs please.

6 Likes

In 4 lolz 202020

1 Like

Yikes the difference between my story and your assumption is that my story actually happened… Also I can honestly say I’ve never done what you said because I don’t walk into a dealership unless the deal is done…

Fact remains, dealers have something us customers want and they hold all the cards because we can’t buy direct…v with that power they try to hide facts so they can make more money. So essentially you playing the devil’s advocate is just that, your advocating for the devil.
It’s funny because you couldn’t even respect the fact that what the dealer was doing in my situation is completely wrong… Why negotiate a deal and then after tell the customer that the sports car they want to buy has been driven has a demo??
Thanks for being a statistic.

1_5ZhaqHJTXrxyHcbRwOYscA

1 Like

Well you could be an honest dealer and say “sorry no.” Or you could be the sleezy one and say "sure, sit down… " And then when you are sitting you start showing carsv that are worth $200 a month but still charge 400 because now you know the customers Budget…

Let’s all be real, customers can be assholes but majority are misinformed and that means the dealer needs to learn some people skills and do their jobs; inform the customers that what they asked can’t be done or if they still insist that they know q guy that knows a guy, then break down the business for them and they xolain why you can’t but the other guy could… Instead of saying “THATS IMPOSSIBLE, GET OUT!”

Also there wouldn’t be a forum like this if we customers didn’t have to buy through an antiquated dealership model.

2 Likes

@ethanrs you did have that awesome post about the types of customers you’ve had before :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes but those weren’t specific. I have quite a few horror stories.

2 Likes

Lol get a new profession If you have that many horror stories… I’ve been in sales for 20 years starting with door to door sales. Be honest with people and educate your customers and you won’t have a laundry list of bad experiences…

To defend you though, I would never advise anyone to go into car sales because it’s such a hard business to succeed with the way the system is structured.

I think bad apples on both sides.

Let’s just not make personal/direct comments and we can have a great thread for “fun” quarantine stories

3 Likes

I wouldn’t consider 554 miles on it a “used car”, I would of actually been happy it had the mileage on it because it leaves more room for negotiation on a car where they normally might not have had a lot of wiggle room. Maybe that’s why they are giving you the 13% off in the first place.

Just because you want something doesn’t mean the dealership is obligated to give it you… I want a Ferrari 488 Pista for 150K out the door but it’s never going to happen. That’s the way life works.
If dealers gave every customer exactly what they wanted than they wouldn’t be in business.

Just because it’s a leftover 2019 and a new body style came out doesn’t exactly mean the car is “distressed merchandise” that they should blow out. I would actually argue that if anything, the fact that it’s a manual Z51 will make it desirable to someone who’s waiting on a C8 or can’t get a C8.

Ya try car sales, if you’re honest with them and try to educate them they still treat you like a scummy lying car salesman. And I have 5-6 noteworthy stories, but that’s not abnormal for someone who sells 200+ units per year.

And yes, it’s hell but have to grind from the bottom to get to the top where it’s actually quite an enjoyable profession.

4 Likes