Watchhackr anybody?

I’ll be the heavy @ursus. Off-ramp is for car centric questions. Not watches, the best beer to drink, or what kind of shoes to buy. Sorry guys, party is over.

Times have changed.

Time to hack some horological pieces!

I will say that if there is any other industry that is worse in leveling supply/demand than cars, it has to be the watch industry, particularly Rolex. Unless you have a relationship with an AD, grey market is the way to get one quickly. But be prepared to pay a premium for it. I was told by a few local AD’s who I do have relationships with that they have not hundreds, but thousands, of people on their client lists waiting for a phone call for a Rolex… No real timeframe but estimate is over a year (for their good clients).

What a time to be alive:

Uncut Gems II

3 Likes

Uncut Gems II: The Rise of Vookum

2 Likes

My brother in luxury goods, you have not entered the world of Hermes. Rolex is bad, Hermes is the 7th circle of hell. But then again, part of the reason why people lust after stuff they can’t get is because of the “exclusivity”. If any schmuck can get a daytona or a birkin from an AD (or Ferrari or nowadays even Porsches), they wouldn’t be in such high demand. It’s a feedback loop. And it’s only going to get worse as more and more luxury brands start doing it. Imagine wearing a watch for 10 years and making money on it? Or driving a Ferrari? It’s huge amounts of brand loyalty involved.

1 Like

Rolex produces a million watches a year. They just do a better job marketing than they do producing.

Look at some of the smaller manufacturers. PP produces 70k / year. AP makes 40k. That’s where the real scarcity meets demand imbalance arises. A watch that’s correctly purchased is arguably a better storage of wealth than usual stock / bond portfolio.

1 Like

Who has a lead on a 126500LN at MSRP? :rofl:

Oh you can that at MSRP easily! You just have to buy 100k in other jewelry first!

Correct. I was told Rolex is not the problem but the demand in recent years has outpaced supply by a mile.

Agree

I also doubt you’re going to get many Rolex models today for under 5k. Tudor is great as well. Having owned a lot of brands including Omega, Rolex, Tudor, Panerai, AP, etc, I think Tudor has a great quality/price.

Have an unworn 116500ln in white in the safe deposit box. Prob a gift to one of my kids when they get married.

Honestly, don’t see the difference between the 116 and 126 as that big compared to 116 and pre ceramic bezel.

1 Like

A million a year, I tell everyone that and it just never registers. Mass produced, but what a marketing machine as they’re exclusive.

1 Like

Since I forgot about this thread and seeing this being active again, that’s what I bought at that time (was able to buy under MSRP through an AD):

2 Likes

I’m still kicking myself when I bought my first luxury watch about 13 years ago. I purchased a Breitling Navitimer World at full sticker when for a couple thousand more I could have picked up a discounted 116520 - being the idiot 20-something I was, I thought the Rolex wasn’t big or “interesting” enough…

Isn’t that the norm for Omegas? Infact I’ve been offered discounts as recently as couple months ago for these pieces.

A million or 10k, it doesn’t matter if supply > demand. Just like you can flip a TRX or 392, but you can’t flip an alpina.

Tudor is owned by Rolex. If you want Budget Rolex, the go Tudor. My understanding is Rolex will roll out product line changes on Tudor first to see how the market receives it.

Rolex closely protects their designs. From watchmaker testimony; of all the inflated luxury watch brand values, Rolex is among the finest quality and not just priced high because of its name.

Still out of my price range. I’m still chasing a Tag Carrera Chronograph.

If I was getting into nice watches, I would start here:

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/en?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLGjBhDKARIsAFRNgW-EQJnix3qwszyx2te5qOz9vON4LVLnDjRsiv9QV895AvReoiA32M0aAuIkEALw_wcB

I believe if you purchase a Nomos from Hodinkee you get an extended warranty term.